Note to New Members ×

edge tuning

ecshredder

Do you convey anything specific to a technician tuning your snowboard? I recently basically wasted a day due to a bad tune. Took me 4-5 runs to figure out what was going on since I hadn't ridden in over a month. Since my riding days are limited each season I don't want to ever make this mistake again.

I don't trust anyone local. I bought a 0.5 degree Beast base bevel guide, a 2 degree SVST side angle guide, a file, and a set of 3 diamond stones. All from Tognar.

Set the angle with the file once, then just polish with the stones (keep them wet!) as needed. I was scared and thought it would be hard, but it's pretty simple. At first it probably took an hour for a board, now it doesn't take nearly that long to do. My boards get a coarse - medium - fine polish about once a year, or as I notice burrs forming.

Maybe I look like a jibber or something. 

That reminded me of when I brought a board in to get a structure and a bevel.  Some new kid was behind the counter and when I requested a 0.5° base bevel please, he suggested 1.5° or 2.0° instead so that the edges wouldn't catch on rails.  Mind you, I'd just walked in with, and was standing right next to 185 centimeters of Kessler.  I know and trust the head tech, so I asked for him to come up to the counter.  He came out, greeted me, put a hand on the kids shoulder and moved him out of the way, and finished writing down what I wanted.  Service with a smile, a valuable lesson learned for the kid, and a two hour turn around time for me.  

If you can't or don't want to do your own tuning, get to know the guys that do so they understand that what you're bringing in is special and isn't just another jib tech limp banana.  :)

What do you mean by flat edges? Did they feel like they were dull and would not hold on hard snow?  

Or a 0 degree base bevel? I rode on a 0 degree bevel a few times and liked it... a lot... and am considering switching all my boards to a 0 deg base and 88 side, currently ride 0.5 base 87 side.

If you can't or don't want to do your own tuning, get to know the guys that do so they understand that what you're bringing in is special and isn't just another jib tech limp banana.  :)

If you won't do your own tuning this is the only way to get it done the way you want. Few shops have techs who know anything about our small world. Most are paid little, do it for the discount on gear, and could give a crap about some weird board they've never seen before. In many shops the low man gets to do most of the tunes - it's repetitive, noisy, dirty, and hard work to crank out tunes for the masses. Oh - and most of the stuff brought in is in terrible shape so lots of work up front peeling layers of rust, etc.

For recreational use I prefer 1/2 degree base and 1 degree side bevel, do it myself, and don't detune for most boards. I've noticed the edge doesn't last as long the further from 90 degrees that edge gets - most of my riding is on Midwestern ice. When I raced I had a tech I paid on the side and the edges were always sharp enough to shave with (no exaggeration) - he wasn't afraid of a lot of edge bevel and the tune needed to last only a few runs.

What do you mean by flat edges? Did they feel like they were dull and would not hold on hard snow?  

By flat I meant like fully detuned feeling, no grip whatsoever and snow wasn't bad: I was at Beaver Creek last Saturday and it was a smige icy and plenty fast over on the Arrowhead runs. Really had me flailing and frustrated.

Or you can be like John Gibson and put 2,000,000 vertical feet on your board before you sharpen the edges :)??? Big difference between riding hard snow and soft snow.

I think I've got that one beat.  4th season with the Coiler VSR.  Limited action this year due to new board and demo rides, but only 1 edge tune since I got it.   : )