Note to New Members ×

Mt Bachelor 14-15

Mr.E

Headed up tomorrow. Sounds warm- have any of you been up in the last couple of days?  Current web cam looks blue and nice- calling for similar weather tomorrow.

Debating what to bring, but if you see a guy with a beard on a black board (they are all black at the moment) and in a blue jacket, say hello.

Pretty good today, and they finally opened the summit lift (though the run seemed to attract a boat load of side slippers). Good in the AM, getting fairly corn-ish and soft by 11. Still good through 1 or so (I left around 1:30). Nice runs, and no lift lines to speak of. As the sun bakes it it's compressing into some firm/ grippy snow.

It is warm and wet though- keep that in mind if you are running temp specific waxes.

10891022_318688858321073_518859145_n.jpg

Hard to argue with such a bright, clear and calm day.

Edited by Mr.E
  • Like 1

PRAY FOR SNOW!!!!

Today wasn't bad for carving as long as you're OK with very firm snow and either keep your hands off the snow or layer your gloves.   Leeway was smoothy and hard but not really icy all day.   Thunderbird was cartable all day too, although you had to deal with a little bit of frozen granular.   Olympian and DSQ were worthless for carving as they were sugar over ice from the beginning and you didn't know if your next turn was going to be in 5" of frozen granular or over a sheet of blue ice with groomer treads imprinted.  

Beverly Hills was firm packed frozen granular, but groomed WIDE.   The kind of snow where you pick up speed really fast and then sometimes it gives out underneath you when you are fully committed.   Also the kind of snow where if you put your hands down they get hot really quick even through two pairs of gloves.  

In other words don't come expecting hero roomies until they get some new snow.    The best you'll find is smooth, not-quite-icy.   The best runs are likely to happen after 10:30 or 11 after the rough edges on the groomers have been skied off.    

Outback has thin cover... especially on lower Kangaroo.   

I'm out tomorrow, but may try to Sat. if I can clear some stuff off the schedule. Are weekends mad up there, or is it ok due to low snow? I generally try to avoid Sat. if it can be helped.

Sundays are usually much better crowd wise.  Low snow means all of the people who can't ski Ashland, Hoodoo, Willamette Pass, and Shasta come to Bachelor.

Hey, checking in on SNOES (Short, Not Oregon Expression Session), Feb 20, 21, and 22. Folks who are from out of town, does anyone want to split a hotel room / condo rental? (this one looks nice.) Out of towners who are already booked, what area is your hotel?

Usually I would stay with my inlaws in Bend, but my wife won't be with me on this trip, and my FIL has a broken hip, so I'm not really sure it would be cool to drop in and use them as a hotel. 

Hey Keenan, Mark ("Kram" on BOL) and Dane from Schweitzer (don't recall his Bomber handle) said they're planning on coming out too.  :biggthump

My Meadows buddy Octavio would have come out too, but he broke his wrist at Schweitzer last weekend :-(

yes! Dane and I will be there. Riding friday, saturday, sunday and monday. And on Hood Tuesday and Wednesday.

Do you guys have any interest in a Deschutes Brewery tour on Saturday afternoon?  It's free and they give you beer samples.  Let me know and I'll book it.  Might be good to skip out a little early on Saturday anyway due to crowds.