Note to New Members ×

The Yoga Thread

ExcelsiorTheFathead

I don't see the connection. Please enlighten me.

I haven't done yoga on a regular basis for 10+ years (it's hard to find time for it, and then it's hard to find a good class), but it definitely helps with strength, balance, and flexibility. The benefits of improved strength and balance pretty much speak for themselves, but I think flexibility can also make a big difference. One of the better riders I've seen in person takes yoga classes, and the flexibility to really lean forward and get low seems to be core to his style.

flexibility is something that one can work on all of one's life. increasing strength and hastening recovery, not so much. some arrive at this sooner than others. as best I can tell, almost everyone gets to the wall eventually.

i got kicked out of a yoga class once even though i was able to accomplish what the instructor was trying to convey. something about my "alpha/competitive aura". she was right - i was there to prove something and not to discover anything. i should revisit it when my perspective is more in keeping with the atmosphere. it definitely has value - i say this even after having been admonished.

TERJE DOES YOGA - that should be enough for most, right? we all want to be like Terje. at least a little, right?

Edited by davekempmeister

• 2 months later...

I've done yoga since I took it at college. You don't need classes, pads, or special clothing. You just need to find a bit of time on a regular basis. Probably the best example I can give of how yoga saved my from a serious injury....I was walking down a slick boat ramp. One foot slipped down the ramp, one stayed put. I ended up slipping into the "splits", pretty hard, too. Wasn't even sore after I got up.

Kelly Starrett is the man!  5-15 minutes of mobility work each day can be beneficial.  I feel that mobility work is "better" than yoga to gain mobility and increase your resistance to injury.  Yoga is great for some things, but a yoga clas isn't going to target hip mobility, knee tracking and ankle flexion.  Tree, warrior, cobra, chavasana, cat, cow, down-dog poses do nothing for me as a snowboarder.  Using a lacrosse ball on my calves, rolling out on a foam roller and doing hip and ankle opening drills before and after a hard day of carving works wonders.

I also want to say that I love my yoga, the right class and instructor can be pretty intense.  Inverted holds and balances, back bends, and partner work is really fun and feels great.  I still do mobility work as it's far more beneficial for the functional aspect.  Yoga is more feel good spiritual.

Kelly Starrett has some good stuff for sure. When I started CrossFit in October my mobility was non-existent (my coach said I had the worst shoulder stack he'd ever seen), and I've been using some of his exercises to help. It definitely makes a difference, even doing it for five minutes a day. Being core strong and increasingly mobile helps immensely when I hit the deck on snowboards and mountain bikes.

I know yoga's amazing, I just don't have the patience for it and find it mind-numbingly boring. I'd much rather punish myself through a beastly soft tissue beating with a lacrosse ball than a yoga class, and that's saying something ...

Edited by Allee
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yoga as an intense workout is something of an American affectation.  I tend to prefer straight ahead Hatha or Iyengar classes where the focus is on doing poses correctly, rather than doing them outrageously quickly or in an crazy strenuous fashion.  That said, it seems that Indians think that all American Yoga is ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Yoga as an intense workout is something of an American affectation.  I tend to prefer straight ahead Hatha or Iyengar classes where the focus is on doing poses correctly, rather than doing them outrageously quickly or in an crazy strenuous fashion.  That said, it seems that Indians think that all American Yoga is ridiculous.

Just trying to do the poses correctly is an intense workout, at least for me.  :biggthump