Note to New Members ×

Snowboarding over Thanksgiving Weekend in Northeastern US?

Longboarder09

Hey everyone,

I am currently thinking about starting my season early and was contemplating a trip over the Thanksgiving Holiday to Stowe, VT, and was wondering if anyone has done something similar in the past. I'm sure conditions are pretty uncertain in November, but with snowmaking, do you think that things would be ride-able, and would there be more than a handful of trails open by this point? Please share similar experiences if you have them!

Thanks!

Don't waste your money going up North that early in the season in the East. You'll be lucky to find a few trails open at any resort unless we get some early unusual snow falls. Mind you, early season conditions are terrible and definitely not for carving. Over the past few years I have been surprised at the conditions at Wachusett during Thanksgiving weekend. Yes it is a small hill, but they have great snow making and the conditions were a lot better than anything I've been to up North that early in the season.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a great time Sunday River and Sugarloaf in Late November.

Yes, there are limited runs open. But you have the hill to yourself and the grooming team really makes sure the coverage is reasonable. Also, the prices are great!

Good Luck.

Hey everyone,

I am currently thinking about starting my season early and was contemplating a trip over the Thanksgiving Holiday to Stowe, VT, and was wondering if anyone has done something similar in the past. I'm sure conditions are pretty uncertain in November, but with snowmaking, do you think that things would be ride-able, and would there be more than a handful of trails open by this point? Please share similar experiences if you have them!

Thanks!

I've had a great time Sunday River and Sugarloaf in Late November.

Yes, there are limited runs open. But you have the hill to yourself and the grooming team really makes sure the coverage is reasonable. Also, the prices are great!

Good Luck.

All of the above, and add Killington too. Just be prepared for the white ribbon of death at any of them.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to agree with everyone here, you are going to find most places have only a few trails open and conditions can be very variable. For Stowe, based on their website, they averaged 12 trails open during the week on November 22-30. Which is really only about 6 from top to bottom. The crowds everyone might be light, but schools out for Thanksgiving so there may be a good about of kids.

Temperature is king and snowmaking is queen. If there has been a very recent (last day or so) freeze and thaw - then forget it, it will be trash and not worth your time. I have found some of the best conditions of the year when there is snowmaking going on and the temps have stayed below freezing. If there's a terrain park open + other trails then crowds might be managable.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Killington and Bretton Woods have already celebrated opening day as well. Anybody ride yet? I'm hoping to slide down some fake snow before November is over, even Snowshoe in WV is planning on opening for Thanksgiving weekend.