Note to New Members ×

CARVERS GONE WILD" /OKEMO '05

Bricky

Bricky, you've probably heard this before, "the checks's in the mail" , heck, I even put a stamp on the envelope! I hope we can get enough others (20) to get the Lower Rates !! (HINT-HINT, get your $$ in)

Hmmm, Windham next weekend, sounds like a definate maybe !

jp1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ECCS for Newbies?

Hey...I'm wondering how many of you folks planning to attend ECCS are newbies to carving (versus old pros)?

Holly and I are reasonably comfortable on blues...but not blacks (unless they're blacks that should be rated blue!)...and we still enjoy long, empty greens too! (Don't know if any of those exist at Okemo...)

I plan to bring my DV camcorder to get some footage of the pros...so don't mind watching to learn...but it would be nice to ride with other newbies as well as the pros.

So curious as to how the "flow" goes between expert and intermediate riders? Does everyone stick together? Or is it "everyone for themself?"

Scott

Guest jeremiah

I think I may have a couple newbies coming to check it out at least one day. Rode the lift and did a run with a couple of guys from Long Island, one of whom is very interested in carving. I gave them the info, and I suspect they're show. Hopefully we can get some demo gear. I'll bring all my old gear (currently Raichle 413s mondo 25 and K2 Ginsu), not much but it's a start.

Jeremiah

Was just up at Okemo on Fri/Sat for a little pre-session taste. As always the mountain was in excellent shape, good snow and great grooming was abound. The 3 best places to ride at Okemo are as follows: Solitude area, Solitude area & Solitude area. The south side just seems to get too scraped off and sees too much sun. Happy slicing!

If you want to dazzle the biggest crowds, make a few runs on Chief. It's a wide serpentine run (ideal for Super G races) with a couple of steep stretches. One nice stretch goes under the Northstar Express Quad.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

P.

Well we got our wish, more snow is on the way! So start gearing up and pray for good cool weather next week!

The Solitude area is always known for the best conditions. It usually stays good all day. Exhibition and Heaven Gate are good camera spots. Also it is very easy to go back and forth to other areas from Solitude.

The trick with the South Face is to do 1 or 2 runs after a warm up on the Chief first thing in the morning. After that South Face is not always good. For those who are staying for more than 2 days, it is good to first check the south side for at least one day and then enjoy the rest of the mountain.

Quantum leap(Jackson Gore) is a must, especially with good conditions. This might be another ideal spot for camera footage. Trail is wide and long.

For the newbies of Okemo, not to worry about those single black diamond trails. In my opinion there are no black diamond trails at Okemo. A good family carving Mt.

One quick note to all carvers that are coming. I seriously doubt that lift attendants will check your board, but please bring your runaway straps. Even if you don't attach it to your board, just have it in your coat pocket. Better to have it on you, then they send you back down to the base and lose some carving time.

If no race is present and the snow is hot!, **Please do the Upper Chief first thing!** It's a good feeling!

Zcarver, Tony Z

Any questions feel free to email at primecarver2@yahoo.com

:D

Some new info has been added to the

original post.

Please note the name change to

"CARVERS GONE WILD"

See:

Lessons & Instruction-especially, "Get Dialed In"

Attendance list revisions

Apres' Board

RSN network

Thanks. Bricky

Guest jeremiah

I'll sign up for the get dialed in session, assuming it's on Thursday or later. Can we do it in the afternoon though, so that we don't have to pass up the fresh cordouroy?

Also, I'm not sure you should list the two newbies, I just spoke to them on the lift and they seemed to be pretty excited.

Oh, and the check is in the mail.

Jeremiah

Hey Bricky whatever you want to call it, I personally just think it's pretty lame someone asked you to change it because of something 'Next Year' !! JMO.......

On your list, Jamie? should be Jesse.

Mike Tokar and 3 friends have changed plans.

jp1

Guest Frappe
Originally posted by Bricky

Frappe-needs a ride from

Massachusetts

Actually, I'll have my car back by then, ready to stuff full of carving toys. Although, anyone who wants to give the college-carver a place to stay would receive much gratitude! (I can cook, clean, tune, etc!) :p

My knee was still too messed to try the powder yesterday :( but if the stars align, I may try to shake off some cobwebs at Okemo Friday. Just for the day though.

I still haven't found a carving board anyway... so I'll be in softies, but I'd love to see the sites and check out some of the carvers and kEwL gear in real life.

p.s. Out of Bounds at Killington doesn't carry alpine gear anymore, although the guy that runs it seems pretty helpful, and it seems like a good shop (I plan to try them when it's time to get a grind).

________

Hotels in mexico

If anyone's hanging around until Monday, drop a line and leave your FRS channel. I'll be there with 2 others on plates. Usually on channel 7.21.

MT

PS - also riding Stratton 3/13 PM and 3/15. US Open starts 3/14. It's a shame how that event stopped going down hill.