Note to New Members ×

A-Basin

RichNH

If it all works out I'm hoping to get to CO for a week this spring. Does anyone know from past experience what dates would be the best? I'll be able to pick a week in April or May. I see they usually close in June.

Any advice much appreciated.

Rich

Better chance of good conditions in April. But you never know. Might be 60* might be 10* and stormy. A couple of times in the last 5 years there was freshies on closing day in June. Springtime in the Rockies... Here in Denver it was 72* yesterday, 40* and a little snow today.

Don

Feed the addiction...

monodude is right, earlier is better. As we go longer into the spring it gets really firm in the AM and really mooshy in the PM. Still fun, but not ultimate carving. Stop by our shop in Silverthorne and say Howdy!

I'm also hoping to get out there this spring, but it will be late - after Memorial Day. My brother who lives in Aurora has been telling me that the mountains have gotten some good dumps this year, though. I've been to A Basin in June a few times, and sometimes it's better than in May. You just never know.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone still riding at A-Basin? The forecasts sound good  -- low 20s overnight, 30s - low 40s high. If that were here in eastern PA that would be a good bet at least until early afternoon. Anyone have some local perspective? I'm sorely tempted to make a quick trip. Bad idea?

I didn't count on the Memorial Day factor -- car rentals are really high. I've had as cheap as $7/day in November and late April - early May, but this weekend it's $100/day. I may try to make it for the barbecue next weekend -- only $30/day rentals.

Sounds like great conditions lately. I'm jealous.

OK, I'm headed up to A-Basin for Friday and Saturday. Hope everything holds out. Looking forward to it!

Any suggestions on appropriate gear? How crowded has it been? Bumpy soft stuff? Bumpy hard stuff? Or just smooth, firm groom as far as the eye can see?