Note to New Members ×

Ski boots on a raceboard?

larsulph

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Twisted isn't an alpine board, it's an asymmetrical freeride board. I had an Asym Air, which was the predecessor. It's a 25 cm waist so you could ride it with your ski boots, but if you want to get into Alpine riding I wouldn't recommend an 18 year old asym freerider. If you insist on pursuing it, make sure your stance matches the board stance, ie if it's really a regular you need to be regular (left foot forward).

Small foot helps...I have size 25.5 ski boots and can easily ride 55 front and 51-53 rear on a 20 waist width.(currently at 58 and 55) I use Technica Phoenix Air 90 boots with two very functional, pump up bladders in each boot shell-allowing riders to use their own liners;sweet boots.Probably starting at size 27,there will be limitations to how sideways stance can be-I would think 60 up front would be necessary with a ski boot and size 27 and 20.0 waist but each half centimeter board width allows about a size larger boot at a given stance angle.

Get a more up to date board...

Some ski boots work very well. Very few have short sole length.

Use ski boots only if you wanted to switch boatd to ski inthe same day or can not find right fit snowboard boot.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

I did learn to ride with hard boots, I should be ok. I am a good skier. I would like to have use my ski boots for the sake of convience as I tend to switch mid holiday between board and skis.

If you're a strong skier, odds are your boots are too stiff for snowboarding. But you can give it a go. I'd see what Kieran has to offer. The Twisted is decidedly not a race board.

To me, this has "terrible idea" written all over it. Crappy old board combined with unforgiving ski boots= no fun, and potentially dangerous, should you pull the inserts out or do something equally catastrophic to the board or you.

While I'd prefer to be in my Stratos Pros, it's more practical for me to hop from skis to board while wearing my Dalbello Kryptons. A three buckle boot that resembles the old Raichle Flexon, it's the compromise I was looking for. For ski racing I have a great pair of Lange RS 130 boots but it's inconvenient to change boots especially in the small timing shack where I work on weekends. The Kryptons aren't as stiff as I'd like for ski racing and a little too stiff for board racing but I can live with it. For boarding I loosen the top buckle and power strap. I have size 28.5 boots (326 mm sole length) and have no problems with boot out.

Edited by patmoore

Pat- I'm certain you meant 28.5

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Oops! Yep. I just edited it. 28.5 is correct.

My Lange Race Boots have an identical 326 sole length and in a pinch I can use them on the board but they are way too stiff. I've even gone so far as to undo the top two buckles and power strap completely.

To me, this has "terrible idea" written all over it. Crappy old board combined with unforgiving ski boots= no fun, and potentially dangerous, should you pull the inserts out or do something equally catastrophic to the board or you.

Second that! Ski boost are made for skiing. Despite the sole length there is the issue of not-flexing and no rotational movement of the knee can be translated into boot, binding and board. Some touring boots have that forward flex, but this is not the case here.

Ski boots are made for skiing.

...no rotational movement of the knee can be translated into boot, binding and board.

Not quite sure I understood you right there... To me the stiffer sideways flex of the ski boot translates the (rotational?!) knee movement to the board way better then softer boots.

And let's not get too dismissive, there are several models of ski boots that work very well on the snowboard and there are WC rideres to prove it. Few models do not have the sole length longer then Deluxe or Head. Many models have adjustable lean, flex and ramp. At least one model can be made to work with BTS.

There is also a new bread of boots that emerged in big numbers recently, half way between ski and AT boots, looking very suitable to ride alpine.

...Lest you rend the very fabric of the cosmos.

Second that! Ski boost are made for skiing. Despite the sole length there is the issue of not-flexing and no rotational movement of the knee can be translated into boot, binding and board. Some touring boots have that forward flex, but this is not the case here.

Ski boots are made for skiing.

Those on this forum who ride in ski boots seldom complain about their footwear.

To the contrary, complaints made by those wearing 'approved hardboot boots' are legion.

The plastic overshoe is simply a supportive exoskeleton. Suitability of which is determined by anatomical match to the user, their skill at using the tools involved, and the vision they choose to pursue.

BlueB: What I mean is: The boot follows the rotational movement of the knee. Almost all skiboots do not. They are just rigid. You cann probably press your calf and shin against the boot but it won't move much. There might be models, that allow such movement, but I'd guess these are not the standard you see every day our there. And then you still have the issue with the long sole.

Beckmann: I'd like to see the performance of these riders with skiboots on the hill. Then let them try a well fitted hardboot. Will be a whole different league.

Quote:"...their skill using all tools involved..."

I agree with your point. Then why not using the right tool?

Justin Reiter used to ride in ski boots. Looks like Dalbello kryptons. He rides in Northwaves now but he did ride ski boots at the highest level.

9ezenatu.jpg

I tried ski boots once and they were terrible but they also were not the right boot to be carving in. I know a few guys in the krypton boot who are really great riders, I have also seen some people in Full Tilt boots.

I am pretty sure those Nordicas will not be what you want to carve in. If you are looking for a boot that can do everything you have to sacrifice something so you can have a boot that is good for carving but too soft for skiing or the other way around

Edited by NSSage

BlueB: What I mean is: The boot follows the rotational movement of the knee. Almost all skiboots do not. They are just rigid. You cann probably press your calf and shin against the boot but it won't move much. There might be models, that allow such movement, but I'd guess these are not the standard you see every day our there. And then you still have the issue with the long sole.

Yes, and when you rotate the knee, which is actually a sideways move, the latteraly stiffer boot transfers that to the edge better. That's why I don't understand your point...

As for the models, well, I wasn't even suggesting use of any random ski boot, but always spoke abiut right models. Some are not even longer then snowboard boots.

Yes Riter was on Kryptons, I believe Micheal Lambert too, and few others.