Note to New Members ×

Coiler Nirvana owners, whats it all about

Bobby Buggs

Johnasmo can probably fill you in the best as the Nirvana is based off of suggestions he made to Bruce after riding the AMT, I believe. Since Bruce built mine he has branched off into several different flavours, but mine is just called the Nirvana Freecarve. Mine is 180 cm long with a 21 cm waist, a 12/14 m VSR and 8 mm of taper. I could have gone shorter or longer, narrower or wider, did a 14/16 VSR or went to 16 mm of taper.

I find the design to be super stable through all kinds of snow, workable in chop and even in mid-sized bumps and of course one hell of a freecarver. However I have only owned a few alpine boards so I don't have the breadth of experience to compare it with other designs. I can tell you that I was a visibly improved carver on the board, as several of my friends commented on at SES. So for me it was a nice step up from my old glass AM 172.

The design goal was to make a carving board that would perform well in the softer and lumpier conditions of spring riding, but it ended up being my favorite in all conditions. I did two iterations, a 175 one year and then 182 to go a little bigger and faster. After riding the 182 I wrote Bruce and declared it "Freeriding Nirvana".

The magic comes from matching the right flex pattern, where it's stiff versus soft, with the right sidecut variability, where it's tight versus long. I don't think of it as an all-mountain board; it's a dedicated carver, but one that carves well in all kinds of good or bad carving conditions. I never tried an AMT, but I do have a early custom VSR and Monster and had ridden a Classic. I think of it as a tweeked VSR, mixing in some Monster to broaden its sweet spot while still being an aggressive turner. Still VSR, but with a more consistent or slightly reversed flex pattern. Stiffer nose and softer tail than my VSR, and sidecuts being more progressive from nose to tail than the VSR's tight-long-tight combo. My 182 goes from about 13.5 to 15ish in the tail with a 19 waist. There was a clone of that one in Bruce's demo fleet having an old RaceCarve graphic. The 175 is maybe a meter less at 12.5 to 14, but what's hard to quantify in specs is the flex pattern to match with that. I love how both mine turned out, but I know Bruce makes each board a little different. I demoed a 175 at SES last February that didn't ride nearly as smoothly as my original, and we think it was from changes to the core profile that messed with the magic flex pattern. So be sure to ask for the "johnasmo" profile. :)

P.S. If I was ordering one this year, I would start with my first 175, slim it to a 18 waist, keep the exact same core profile, then add a little more camber and carbon to compensate for the stiffness lost to the narrower waist. Got that, Bruce? Maybe see one at the demo tent next year? Slim is in.

Thanks for the clarification, John. When I ordered mine, Bruce said he had already built a board to that spec that worked well. So I wasn't really treading new ground although mine probably is different from yours. Works very well for me. If I knew I was spending the day in the bumps or trees I would want my AM but for resort riding in general including the odd foray off the groomed my NFC is the go-to now.

I received my Nirvana november 2012, it's the energy model, specs are

lenght 170

waist 20

radius 12/14

I wanted a board with incredible edge hold for carving on the east coast, I like to complete my C shape carves.

Bruce told me that the flex is centered at the middle of the board, it's supposed to increase edge hold.

It rides pretty well.

Hi Bobby,

I got my 174 this fall, with the same sidecut as my 170 Angrry, with the very intent of making it my new pack along travel board for all the reasons John mentions. I rode it last weekend for the first time (2 days) and I must say it lives up to the hype. I love my Angrry for my little 800' local hill, but the versitilty of the Nirvana is without compromise. It was responsive and held perfectly on groomers Saturday while providing lots of feedback. Sunday had about 8-10" of pow over groom and "Nirvana" doesn't even describe a perfect surfstyle day, even as the the pushpiles collected. While I never thought I would move any Coilers back out to the market place, I may have two that are now essentially obsolete for me. (169 VSR Asym & 177 VSR M+) Time will tell, but I can't wait to get the Nirvana out to California in two weeks!!

So pry open that wallet and get yerself some!

I rode a number of Nirvana's last year with Bruce, and ordered a 182 that I'm hoping to see soon. I fell in love with it because it rode so effortlessly. Whereas the VSR and moreso the NSR are fast, they need to be ridden fast to get the best out of them - you don't have to ride the Nirvana fast, but it still loves speed. The NSR/VSR, true to their design initiate and finish turns early while the Nirvana will just keep turning up the hill until you run out of speed. I found myself finishing turns more perpendicular to the fall line with the Nirvana and (and this could be all in my mind) the extra second, or fraction of, allow you a bit more margin of error and a bit more time to really feel the turn out - combine that with the damp board that eats up anything thrown at it and it just feels 'easier' to ride. So, as I get older, slower, and lazier it seemed like the logical choice. It was a really tough decision between it and the NSR - but they are two completly different boards. Where the Nirvana is the 'easy' board for big railed carves, the NSR is the F1 car that makes you ride at 110%, mach 10 all the way. Both though, inspire confidence.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nirvana Balance 172 18.5 waist 16mm taper and 10.5X12 m radius

Wish there was more snow but my early report 1 day powder in the morning and chop in afternoon - floats well and can cut through the crud with ease.

packed snow - great edge hold and carvey with good turn initiation. I can carve s shapes on rails or easily skid a turn if needed

ice - insane edge hold and damp without chatter

current conditions in my neck of the woods call for rocks with occasional ice - I have a different ride for that but will keep everyone posted as I get more time in on my new favorite

• 1 month later...

Like the thread. I'm jumping in to add another old guy perspective. Bought a demo Nirvana from Bruce last year. Think it is the Energy 174 that he had at a prior ECES. Not sure of much more, but I'm #170 and it's supposed to be good for me. I came from years on a factory prime and it took a while to get used to a new board. I find that the factory prime (171?) was more forgiving as you could blow the entry and still get a good carve out of it without washing out the tail. With the Nirvana, you have to trust it will be there for you through the whole turn, and it gives back with a good pop into the next turn. Wasn't prepared for it and spent many days going over the front end or spinning out when the speed picked up. The happy ending is that I love the board now that I have it half figured out. I'm sure the slow love affair was due to my riding style and lack of experience. Just spent a week at Jay Peak and we are now inseparable. Plenty of overnight freeze on corduroy that set up like glass over wet snow. Felt like riding on a pop tart. Really noisy, but man that board cut deep tracks. I'm getting my speed up and trusting myself to ride around crowds. The Nirvana and I are at the point where I get a hoot from the chairlift every other run. If I had to do it all over again I think I would look for slightly more length and a hair more flex to add more forgiveness as I get older. This is my only carving board and I would highly recommend it for a companion for an all mountain soft boot board. My kids are 3 and 5 and just starting to ride the chairlift on burton choppers. Can't wait until they are ready to get into carving. Hopefully, I'll still be laying trenches and it will probably be on this board.

If anyone has advice or pointers based on my description, they would be welcome. Wish I could make it to ECES as the only other hard booter I met all week at Jay was well into his 50s and riding pretty gracefully. I need more friends.