Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadows Ride Board 2013-2014

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10" is the last 24hrs, 7" overnight. Snow/grapple all day with moderate winds. Fresh turns , check!! It was a fun day. 2nd chair at MHEX and first chair on S/S . It was sort of a wind effected heavy snow but worked out well. You could skim along fast on top and then when you start cranking turns it settled in to make nice cushy turns. I would think it might have been a bit more work on skis (saw allot of beaters) Parking lot was FULL when I left and plenty on the way. Got in, got some and got out. The snowpack is definitely MUCH better now. I would still probably not take my best boards out yet, but soon.

Bryan

post-198-141842404647_thumb.jpg

post-198-14184240464_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842404644_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

From MHM website today

All our parking lots are full. It's still snowing hard. Plan on arriving this afternoon when parking should reopen. Ski season is ON - welcome back, everyone!

I am sure glad they got the HRM chair open (first time this season). Can you imagine the lines??

Some good riding if you get in and get out quick I suppose.

This should set us up pretty good!!

Bryan

From MHM website today

All our parking lots are full. It's still snowing hard. Plan on arriving this afternoon when parking should reopen. Ski season is ON - welcome back, everyone!

I am sure glad they got the HRM chair open (first time this season). Can you imagine the lines??

Some good riding if you get in and get out quick I suppose.

This should set us up pretty good!!

Bryan

Damn, just had a post get vanished. Recap: I was up yesterday, it was a very very slick and hairball drive, and I heard that 26 was actually closed past Government Camp for part of the morning.

Crowds were not as bad as expected, maybe due to the road conditions. Long lines at MHX, but just a few minutes at Stadium, and no line at HRM (which was open), maybe due to rain/sleet down there. After this storm, the lee sides everywhere have full coverage, but the wind was so strong that the windward side of things is still bony in many places.

Vista and Cascade will be great if they're open today -- if not, they'll be great tomorrow, assuming things don't get too warm today.

Hi Dan, thanks for the update. Sounds a bit snotty today , Tuesday is not likely going to be the perfect groomer day but worth a try IMHO.

On the vanishing post, did you try going to "advanced" and then recovering the "auto saved" version? This has come in handy more than once for me.

On the vanishing post, did you try going to "advanced" and then recovering the "auto saved" version? This has come in handy more than once for me.

No, I realized a bit too late that might have worked for me. Thanks for the pointer, I'll remember it for next time.

I am still "In" but it doesn't sound as good on the groomers as I had hoped. May end up doing the other thing that slides on snow. Anyone know what "Snapped Corduroy" is ??

We've had snow flurries for most of the day, with a few moments of freezing rain and sticky, wet snowflakes. On the groom there's some wind-scouring and snapped corduroy, but there are lots of pockets of windblown fresh snow and fun riding to be had.

Ok update from today. They definitely had a little rain event late yesterday with a icy layer over all the new snow . Snowed and sleeted today sticking to your goggles. Major wind also causing horrible visibility. Hope the sun comes out tomorrow. I am 50/50 thinking about going again. However this what meadows needed to make some good groomers but they might not be ready by tomorrow.

What looked like sunny clear skies became high over cast and very flat light. Met Doug T for the first time, Randy K, Dan L, Mike T and Mike H. all made appearances.

HRM is open, lower area a bit rough but doeable. Got to watch for dips (creeks) and brown spots on the back side of rises.

Vista and Cascade opened late. I think Wednesday is likely to be the best carving day for a while. Some areas the snow was quite good, other areas had allot of chicken heads and churned up snow. Overall not bad.

[ATTACH]37068[/ATTACH][ATTACH]37069[/ATTACH][ATTACH]37070[/ATTACH]

I just booked a campsite for the Maryhill Festival of Speed. Let's have a Bomber PDX posse at the event - more details here: <a href="http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?41400-Maryhill-Festival-of-Speed!">http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?41400-Maryhill-Festival-of-Speed!</a>

9eby6u8a.jpgSunny , low wind. Firm with rough spots.

Low crowd and all the lifts running. No lines, slow by Friday standards.

Rode an older Donek for the first hour, swapped back to my favorite Tinkler TNT. Several ex alpine riders made conversation.

Lifties were VERY friendly last couple days up. Must be a big push to be "Funner" :)

post-198-141842405813_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842405807_thumb.jpg

How is it riding? I was planning on heading up Sunday, because they were calling for freezing temperatures on Saturday night, and I thought it would be firm enough to hold an edge. Now it's looking like the weekend will be pretty soft and slushy. Maybe I should learn to ski.

Dan, those temps are always a bit tricky. Although it was warm this am, the snow surface was pretty firm until around noon.

When I passed through Sandy it was near 25F, MHM was in the forties.

It was pretty firm with so so grooming , some good areas and plenty of chicken heads on some of the main runs.

I spent quite a bit of time on Vista (lower half was the best surface) I did see Dan L. Pretty nice day overall but not slushy really. I think today the best hour was around 11:30 to 12:30

Bryan

[ATTACH]37118[/ATTACH]

post-198-141842405803_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842405805_thumb.jpg

I was up today. I brought a spring shell rather than a heavy jacket because the forecast was calling for sunny and mid 40s, but when I hit White River Canyon, it was 24 degrees. I was worried I got skunked by the weather forecast, but sure enough, once I got up to Meadows, it was around freezing in the parking lot and warmed up fast from there.

The snow was corrugated ice at 9:00, so I took a run down HRM to see if it was warmer/softer down there, and found the worst riding of the day: frozen solid with lots of weird contours and bare patches. I would say that HRM is unrideable until we get about 2 more feet of snow, you know, sometime in March.

I wanted to kill some time while the surface was softening up, so I dropped by the Burton demo tent. They were actually pretty cool, and hooked me up with boots, bindings, and a 157 (!) Juice Wagon, which they told me was a "stiff freeride board". It's been 10+ years since I rode softboots for more than a run or two, and it took a couple of runs for it to stop feeling...wrong. I think a longer board would have helped - not much effective edge on a 157 (they told me that was the length for my weight, but I think we have different standards than the mainstream snowboarding industry). Anyway, I got to where I could do decent toesides and crummy heelsides after five or six runs, at which point surface conditions were improving so I switched back to hardboot gear.

It was soft enough to hold an edge and make turns, but conditions were pretty inconsistent - not a day to let it rip and push the edge.

It looks like the best conditions we'll get until the next big storm are corn or slush.

• 2 weeks later...

Got signed off by my physical therapist on my Achilles heal recovery and hit the hill yesterday. Was awesome to be back on the board and the snow. I've never seen Stadium with exposure this late into the Season. It's a bit scary how little precip we've gotten this year. But with that said snow on the hill (where it was) was great yesterday, way better than what I expected. I waited til noon to be at Meadows and got there just as they were re-opening Main Lot which was good because I wanted to test out the legs on the bunny hill before going whole hog. No probs on Buttercup so on to the bigger stuff.

First hit Vista side but was totally fogged in with what seemed like about 30ft visibility, so headed East where I settled into SS and Voyager for a whole bunch of runs. Snow as almost perfect but half of SS was taken up by race school so it wasn't the wide open run that we all love. The achilles was a non issue just the muscles around it were like noodles, so just lasted a couple of hours. Was a great day getting back on the board though and looking forward to hooking up with folks on the hill this late winter and spring!