Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadows Ride Board 2013-2014

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photos Bryan! The cord looks great, and firmer than I would have expected (I thought there was a couple of inches of fresh on top?) - is it riding as good as it looks?

Glad someone is getting some turns while I sit at my desk. :(

post-198-141842401471_thumb.jpg

Looks nice Bryan! Must be really cold! How's the wind?

Jim, it was 7 degrees in the parking lot, both in the early am and at my warming break around 11am

It was fairly windy, enough to cause fear of frost bit on the nose. Lots of "Ice Cream Headaches" , but not like 30 mph or bad enough to slow the chairs.

Got two first chairs today, MHM and then SS. Woo whoo! :)

post-198-141842401464_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842401468_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

post-198-141842401461_thumb.jpg

Nice photos Bryan! The cord looks great, and firmer than I would have expected (I thought there was a couple of inches of fresh on top?) - is it riding as good as it looks?

Glad someone is getting some turns while I sit at my desk. :(

Dan, I rolled up thinking I might need to get the skis out and play it safe with rough surface condition. After looking around a bit from the parking lot, I decided to go for it. Brought out my favorite Tinkler TNT and was VERY pleasantly surprised. I headed for SS and the groomers were good. The ridge was pillowed and windblown for the first 200 yards, then it flattened out and was firm. I returned to mex via North Canyon, it was excellent, both snow and surface, firm and predictable. 2/3rds down the run it got very wavy , somewhat icy and narrower. South Canyon run. ridge run was better than I would expect, lower half got harder and rougher, the transition over to Daisy was sharp and almost up hill , Daisy face was really good and I was all alone. Easy rider had near perfect groomers (nice that they don't have enough snow to start building the parts features) There were some spots where the groomers dipped down to the dirt but for the most part it was quite good. Cascade opened late, majority of the snow was wind blown styrofoam, only sheltered North aspects had soft snow.

I was pretty happy overall. Good vis is important to me these days.

Wish you guys could have been there. I did see Randy from the SS chair, he was surfing the pow in the gulley under the chair looking smooth as always. Bryan

post-198-141842401451_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842401458_thumb.jpg

Here is a short clip of a run down North Canyon, unedited. It should give you a pretty good idea of the conditions. Better than I expected. Know that it is bad where it is normally bad. Rock Garden, Show off, South exposures. They are snow making at base of Easy rider, Eric's corner and Whoop ti do. (SP) You might want to take some Dramamine prior to watching this, hand held camera :)

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8AMM_hT-R40?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey Ed! A little late and a little thin. However, the coverage on the main runs is pretty darn good for only 25". The snow was really cold and dry. This mornings reports said "Zero" at the base and -2 top of MEX. My feet don't do cold that good.

This weekend will likely work it pretty hard. Looking for the next big dump to bring out the Tanker TD3 SW SI set up give it a go. I think it will still be stiffer than the F2 SI set up. Worth a try, It would be really nice to be able to go all BOMBER. Makes swapping stuff around really sweet and easy.

When do you plan your next trip back home??

yeah, I felt woozy watching that.

I think using the "Stabilizer" software made it less shaky but added to the Dramazine effect? All I can tell you is the other clips are even worse :) Example, riding across sustrugie to "North Forty" on my alpine board , rough and clumsy. ;)

That and a straight line video would be more fun to watch but not as much fun to ride. :o

I'm heading up for Day 1 tomorrow. To be honest, I'd usually wait for more cover, but I'm motivated to get some days on my noodle-legs before heading off to <a href=http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en">Dolomiti Superski</a> in about ten days (!)

I'll be taking a rock board :(

Really nice day at the mountain. Great grooming on north canyon and star. Amazing what they have done on this base. Rode my volkl cross with a soft booster friend. I wouldn't have hesitated riding my best alpine gear as coverage was really good. Good fast and just hard enough. Cascade was blow out frozen with a warm inversion up high coming in with the front. ena6y5ub.jpg

Hi Bryan, you got it right: flat light for the first 45 minutes or so, but then slowly clearing, got full sun around 10:30 or so, and it was never very crowded.

Coverage on SS Ridge was excellent - it could be February out there. Other areas, as you probably saw (Reservoir Hill), were still a little skimpy. The snow on-piste was great - cold and chalky. All in all, a pretty good way to start the season.

My first chair I rode up with 3 cute little girls who were race training. They asked about my snowboard and I told them what it was and explained that they use this kind of setup for snowboard slalom in the Olympics. They thought that over for awhile and then one asked "Where do you hit the gate?" Ha! So awesome, she probably has a killer race career ahead of her. I explained about triangular panels and stubbies so you don't have to get clotheslined by a skier gate.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been up, a skier buddy went up Friday and here is his report. Pretty much what I would expect, sounds like it is holding on the groomed better than what our snow fall would provide.

Report: uncrowded. Showed up at 11:00 and parked in main lot. Groom and ice. By 11 the groom was scuffed into ball bearing piles in places. I rode b.c., ez rider and vista. Did medium turns and drills. Went cascade 1x, max 1x. Hard freakin snow, but I need to get ready for powder. I think I would take my new ski out next time. If you stay in the groom paths you won't hurt the bases.

Cool ! Let me know how it rides! Just make sure you get a big breakfast that morning :)

How is your son's alpine experience doing?

The areas that are traditionally dangerously thin are "Eric's Corner" , "Last Chance".

After it gets busy , don't forget to check out "easy rider" chair for some slow lifts but good groomers. Once they

have enough snow it will be dominated by parks.

Bryan, thanks for the tips! Have yet to get my son on hardboots this year. I gave him Bomber Power Plates for Xmas.

Hoping that will get him interested. We don't get to ride together as much as we used to so its hard for me to push him into alpine. It will come though, he is a ripper!

I typically do a "North Canyon" run , then "South Canyon" to see if they are good. If they are I make a few variations of those and then head over to "Shooting Star" to do the ridge run a few items.

I have only been up once but the day I was there, Shooting Star Ridge , Daisy , Top half of North Canyon and Easy Rider were all good.

Have fun and look forward to your report. If you see anyone else on a Tinkler be sure to introduce yourself. Good bunch of guys that all know Mike well. Mike was up the other day and had a good day.

Waboarder, how did it go? Did you end up going to MHM??

I think we need to do the snow dance a little harder! Spill beer, fire , sacrifice?

Sounds like a good reason for a Alpine Gathering. First option on a dozen older boards of all sizes, bindings of all sorts.

Shop while you party? Happy New Year to the Mt Hood Locals!!!

Bryan,

i couldn't see Paying for a day at Meadows given the conditions, so wound up at T -line again Mon-today.

Monday was pretty slushy all day everywhere, 3 hrs in hardboots, 3 in softboots. Only 2 runs on the new Donek

to get my stance and the TD 3 step ins dialed, then back to the 10 year old Donek I picked up last season. Going to wait on the Tinkler for better conditions. Went out to Meadows Tuesday after 2 hrs at T-line in the fog, rain and mist to pick up

my " club card". Base area is pretty depressing, dirt on stadium and exposed rocks and shrubs visable all over.

T -line today was pretty good considering. Once the frozen, groomed granular gets skied off its pretty much down to

un- edgeable hardpack/ ice. Mile held up pretty well, they could not get Palmer open. I'll finish this trip up at T-line

the next 2 days then head back to Seattle. Dont know if you got the pics of the Hot Blast i wanted to trade. Let me know.