Note to New Members ×

The Coiler Violator 188 has landed!

Shred Gruumer

I didn't bring this post to life? Started January of 2005... birthday was Jan 12th..its 3 years old now!!!

This was the start of the Schtubby.

Seems Mr. Kessler and Mr. Oxess both feel the nose works fine! And so does this one..

Board rides or rode fine...I don't ride it much for a couple of reasons.. Im off to shorter boards with schtubby concept... pain in the ass to travel with.. Im old and don't go as fast as it wants to... its a crowd killer!! its like traveling with a big skewer down a tiny trail and you run into a bunch of spores.. not the shortest board to manuever.. But on long simple groomer it is so fun to just absolutely cruise..

Never buried the nose is soft snow...Brought it to Big Mountain one year for people to ride.. actually Paul K might have climbed aboard...

I got it for high speed cruising..

Why anyone interested in buying it.... I just ride short metal boards... the Violator was a Super Board construction by Bruce..

For sale perhaps???

It rides fine for people who got the kumyas to ride it...

See pictures and doc on how it was born...hehe...

Right said Shred

post-186-141842246566_thumb.jpg

The Violator 188 post.doc

I'd be interested in hearing an offer...

it has a tail scuff mark..from normal skier tail riding...but I was going to see if I could buff it out with MR. Mguires.. also a very slight blem..you cant see it but you can feel it. its a slight crease where the nose bends on the top sheet..cosmetic only..but like I said... you can't see it I tried to make it show in pictures but can't get it to..... I could take pictures ....AGAIN if someone was interested in it....

Yes X3 project needs funding... these experiments arn't cheap...:(

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry Shred, I didn't notice your post until now. The verdict on the case of the Coiler Violator 188 is... Guilty of extreme carving hooliganism. I love it! It's not a board for all conditions, but when the snow is right, it's oh so fun. I had it out yesterday, riding with it's cousin Das Amputator. I can't turn as tight as Redman on Das Amputator yet, but I think that's me not the board. I'm riding pretty centered on the inserts, with a fairly wide stance, and that seems to be working fine. The schtubby nose works great.

My log shows it's been out 13 days so far, for 90+ runs on the Big Mountain. Of my alpine boards, that trails only the Donek Vlad Carve 175 at 22 days and over 200 runs. The reason being the frequency of snow conditions for which each is preferred. I start with the Violator as first choice, but the snow has to be just the right firmness for me to feel confident laying it all the way over and completing turns. You need to commit to putting it high on edge or you quickly run out of hill. If the groomers are too icy, I skid the day away in softies or something more slalom oriented (e.g. Factory Prime); something that will turn without being fully committed to dragging body parts. Softer and I tighten things up with the Vlad or go even deeper and tighter with a Prior 4WD if things are really soft.

I'd say it's my overall favorite carver to ride, having so much edge hold and being so stable and locked in at full lean, but it has the second narrowest preferred snow conditions of my apline boards. The narrowest in my case being my Prior 4WD. That may sound odd for an All-Mountain board like the 4WD, but I prefer softies for fresh powder and tracked powder off-piste, leaving only groomer duty for my hardboot setups. Then of the groomer conditions, the 4WD only comes out when things soften up to the point where the trenches are running several inches deep (e.g. groomed over fresh snow, or late day spring conditions). My usage log bears this out, as the 4WD is third behind the Vlad and Violator in usage this season for alpine gear, and alpine is running about 30% of total riding (it's been a good powder season).

In conclusion: Me like. :1luvu:

Get down or get out.

I rode it about the same way..I might be one more move to the nose than your but rode a wide stance, and hence the longer turn radius, if you really want to try.. move your stance in closer decrease the angles just a tad..just a tad..and practice on Eds run.. you really have to have confidence that it will make the turn... But really why... >>>? right? just try the insert move on the board and move it up a notch or two..stay with your angles.. Then take it out on Ed's run.. and just stay centered on the board.. and sit on it and let the board ride.. Its sometimes nice to have a bit more tail to catch your lean back that spring ya back over the board.. it acts like a reminder of where you should be on that puppy.. Try it... let me know how that feels..

It took a while for me to find it.. but then... it was a hero board...

Enjoy Said Shred.

I'm running a 19 and 1/4 inch stance right now, and in the don't fix it if it ain't broke vein, I think I'll stick with that because it feels good and is working well. If conditions demand tighter turns, I can get on another board. I've always got a few in the car.

Today was a Violator day all the way, so it finally broke the 100 run mark. Yesterday was too icy, but late in the day they had a couple inches of fresh that got groomed in overnight, which makes the perfect storm as far as the Violator is concerned, leaving a firm but carvable hardpack. It lasted all day since it stayed cold today in spite of being sunny. Trenches were running 1 - 2 inches deep in the morning, and again when I returned late in the afternoon. That's hard enough to keep from getting lumped up by all the skidders, but with enough edge hold for the Violator to absolutely rail. Knees were a draggin'.