Note to New Members ×

WTB: GS race board, and hard boot/binding setup

mwracer

Looking for a Giant Slalom race board set-up. Last season my son rode a VOLKL Renn Tiger 153 successfully in competitions with USASA. We need a taller, faster board, bindings, and of course larger hard boots, ( We are selling a pair of DEELUXE model 325's in mondo 24) in a size 26. My son is currently 5ft 3" and weighs about 100 #s. Any recommendations on the board? We were thinking size wise a 157 to 163 for the GS board. Thanks in advance for your help:)

Hi,

I have 3 sons racing. My suggestion is to go longer than 163. Why? Because 163 is probably going to be a slalom board for a very aggressive and heavy rider. If you can find someone in your area with a "short" GS like 170, and convince that person to let him try it, he'd probably be surprised to ride a board of that length. Remember, it's not just length, it's mostly sidecut radius. Check the specs and try to get something around 15 meters instead of 9,5 or 10.

Hi, Thanks for the advice. A couple of questions please, so he rode the 153 last season you don't think moving to a 170 is too big of a jump? I did look up Donek boards and noticed that the shorter boards were in fact slalom boards and the GS boards start at 170. How is a GS board different than a slalom? The VOLKL 153 was also in fact a slalom board, that he rode for GS because it was the size he needed at the time. He used a Donek 147 for slalom. Even though he is growing do you think at 5ft 3" and 100 pounds he'll be strong enough to control a board that's probably going to be 4 inches taller than he? I'm still learning so can you explain what you mean by trying to get something around 15 meters instead of 9,5, or 10? Lastly, any recommendations on boots or bindings (step in versus manual close)? He is a serious racer with hopes to go far in GS, Slalom and BX, any help is greatly appreciated.:D

A few answers,

The GS board is different because its shape is made especially for a GS course. The radius is explained in this bomber article. http://bomberonline.com/resources/Techarticles/how_to_buy_board.html It basically means that, because of its shape, the natural carve of the board is either short for SL (9 to 11 meters), or large for GS (15 to 19 meters).

Like I said in the previous reply, a "long" SL 163 will probably be much stiffer than a "short" 170 GS. A stiff SL 163 will "eject" your son much quicker when a mistake is made when riding. Again try to find gear he could try to actually have the GS feeling. One of my son is 5ft 4" and rides a 175.

As for boots, he had good ones. If he liked them, just change the size. And for the bindings, with growing kids, I think it's much easier to deal with toe bails (manual close). You can change boots next year (yes sometimes, they grow fast) and don't have to deal with making sure the boots are intec compatible.

Read as much as you can. Lots of info here: http://bomberonline.com/resources/newcarver/new_carver.html

Good luck!

The Oxess 170 would be a wrong choice for the 100lbs Youth.

:nono: Never give them a penalty by long boards.

The shortest available Voelkl RT GS comes in 168, 11m SCR suitable for a weight of 110+, or 130+ depending on Year.

Better seek for an older (1995/96) Burton Factory Prime FP 5.9 192s (silver topsheet) in excellent condition. This GS board was made for lighter women and the Youth. SCR 11.84m. That board is managable and easy to ride with fast downhill, but hasn't that killer icegripp like newer brands.

Same Year's and 1997/98 Nidecker Extreme GS comes on 162 with SCR 12m (the 161 was the narrow one and with thighter SCR). The balance of handling & icegripp & running silence on that Ndk's is way above the Oxess.

SCR of 11m-12m feels quite enough long for young riders.

Most newer non-custom-made boards (Burton Speed/F2/Hot/Oxygen/Voelkl) starts at 164/168 for GS and are for a weight of 120+/130+

Check state of all non-NOS Burton and Volkl boards before buying. They worn out quick.

If cost doesn't matter, take a new custom made GS board (Donek, Kessler ... what else)

Edited by snowmatic

Thanks for the referral. I'll take a look, for competitive racing we are looking for the best possible condition. :)

Best possible? Call up Donek, Kessler, or SG and get a new board built for your son. There may be others, I don't follow the race circuit closely.

I also have to agree with the above posters - I'm 205 lbs and have ridden a few off-the-shelf 160-163 slalom-type boards from Volkl, F2, and Kessler. Your son won't be able to bend a long SL board as they're targeted to heavier riders. The shorter GS lengths will be better suited if you're buying used or off-the-shelf items.

The Oxess 170 would be a wrong choice for the 100lbs Youth.

:nono: Never give them a penalty by long boards.

I have ridden newer GS boards between 169-175 and gave my recommendation. Newer shorter GS boards are not meant to soft on flex. 169 of F2, Kessler, and SG were a lot stiffer than 175. The one on the classified is for a women racer and I found its flex is tad softer/equivalent to 175's. So if the OP's son is 5'3" 100" racer, I say go for it.

Thanks for all of the input, I'm learning so much! Any recommendations on bindings? TD 3 sidewinders versus F2? Would we be able to use either of these bindings for more than 1 season, as the board length changes with his growth? He's currently 5ft 3" about 100#'s.

Boot wise, the size you need happens to be the most popular, used will be scarce, I see a wanted upz in that size currently

Binding wise, the F2's are very lite, and weight adds up for young legs, the sidewinder's are wonderful, and this site is nice enough to allow us to discuss them, both will last years and do duty on various boards.

Board wise, I have a 174 Kessler GS made for a 135lb woman that may interest you;)

Hi Ursle,

Can you send me photos of the Kessler? I'm looking for the best base possible, with great edges. How would you compare the Kessler to the Donak Rev 168? Also do you know how the UPZ boots compare to the DEELUXE 325's? My son rode them last season. If you know anyone we are selling his size 24 Deeluxe's. Last question, on the TD 3 sidewinders, would the weight be too much for a 100 or so pound kid on a 168 to 174? Thanks in advance for all your help. :D

I have an Oxygen Proton 164GS I'm looking to sell. It has a big SCR for the length. Others on the board would know if this would work for his 100lbs. better than I.

Specs.

Overall Length (cm): 164

Running Length (cm): 147.0

Effective Edge (cm): 148.0

Stance Width (cm): 19.9

Tip Width (cm): 23.7

Waist Width (cm): 19.5

Tail Width (cm): 23.7

Tip Height (cm): 4.0

Tail Height (cm): 0.5

Side Cut Radius (m): 13

Stance Range (cm): 41-49

Stance Offset (cm): 2.0

Weight Range (kg): 55-100+

I have an Oxygen Proton 164GS I'm looking to sell. It has a big SCR for the length. Others on the board would know if this would work for his 100lbs. better than I.

Specs.

Overall Length (cm): 164

Running Length (cm): 147.0

Effective Edge (cm): 148.0

Stance Width (cm): 19.9

Tip Width (cm): 23.7

Waist Width (cm): 19.5

Tail Width (cm): 23.7

Tip Height (cm): 4.0

Tail Height (cm): 0.5

Side Cut Radius (m): 13

Stance Range (cm): 41-49

Stance Offset (cm): 2.0

Weight Range (kg): 55-100+

Thanks Jambot I replied to you via e mail. :)

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com
repaired quote

Go with a custom Donek REV. They are fantastic boards, the best that you can get for a reasonable price. You'll get a board that will fit your son perfectly, and he'll be on top of the line equipment. Not to mention the resale value, Angela was selling her Donek for what, $900? and how many years old is it? Go with a Donek :biggthump

Thanks for your insight. :)

Go with a custom Donek REV. They are fantastic boards, the best that you can get for a reasonable price. You'll get a board that will fit your son perfectly, and he'll be on top of the line equipment. Not to mention the resale value, Angela was selling her Donek for what, $900? and how many years old is it? Go with a Donek :biggthump

My son last year was about the same size as your son.....just over 5'2" and 110 lbs. He rode a Kessler stock 180 with an Apex Plate and f2 titanium bindings. But he is a really aggressive rider and could get the proper flex out of this setup. The year before he had a Custom Coiler 156 SL board and a Custom Coiler 172 New School Race board. These were designed with more flex as he was barely 100lbs that year.

This year he is 5'6" 120lbs and is riding a custom Kessler 180 about the flex of what the woman world cup riders have with an Apex plate. He has a 159 Custom Kessler SL this board is pretty stiff but he wanted the shorter length. He is riding a K Plate on this board. He has UPZ boots.

The moral of the story is that between 12-15 boys grow and change a lot......so whatever you buy this year may not be the equipment he needs next year to be competitive.

The Coilers are great boards. Less then $800 custom fitted. Riley won a silver in the GS in the breaker boys on this board and was the U15 Canadian National Champion. Great board for racing USASA and Jr. races. Not quite what you need to race FIS and NorAms.

Custom Kesslers are expensive and right now may be hard to get given it is an Olympic year. There are some used ones floating around. If you want a 174 barely used Kessler in mint condition for $850 contact. Desiree desireelabrecque@mac.com It was designed for a female rider and would be more forgiving then a stock Kessler 171

I recommend UPZ boots. They have one more buckle then the Deelux boots and hold smaller ankles in place better. Worth spending the money to get these boots.

Here is the contacts/websites for various equipment

http://www.yyzcanuck.com/

The contact at YYZ is Andrea - They stock Deelux boots, F2 bindings and F2 and Donak boards. The f2 bindings are world cup standards

http://www.apexsport.ca/

Apex distributes Kessler boards and Apex and Kessler plates. The contact at Apex Sport is Henry Kim. Apex Race Plate combined with a Kessler Snowboard is one of the world cup standard configuration for GS racing. Andris Pommager the Overall World Cup winner in Alpine Racing is a pro rider for Apex/Kessler. Of course there is pretty hefty price tag for this equipment.

http://www.coiler.com/home.html

Bruce Varsava is the sole guy behind Coiler boards. There are a good snowboard. Custom made to the rider and more reasonably priced then a Kessler board.

http://www.upzboots.com/

Dan Yoja is the contact at UPZ boots. These are the boots used by most riders at the world cup and NorAm level.

There are other boards SG (Sigi Grabner), Donak, Jasey Jay. all used by various world cup riders.

The good news.......there is quite a market for used race equipment. Especially the smaller stuff. So even if you have to buy brand new, you can likely recover 40-60% of the cost if the equipment is in good shape on resale.

Hope this helps.

midwestrider - I might have some options for boots, but I'll have to let others comment on whether these are 'racy" enough or suitable for your son.

I have a couple of pairs of raichle SB series 4-buckle boots with the 26-26.5 shells. I'll have to check at home as far the specific model numbers. I have some 26.5 used standard liners, some never used 26.0 standard liners from some Raichle AF600 boots, and some 26-26.5 never-molded thermoflex liners for them. I think these are the same shells as the Deeluxe 325 you are selling, but with the Raichle brand, they're older boots.

I also have pair of Head Stratos Pro in 26.5, but my understanding is that the only difference between 26.0 and 26.5 is the thickness of the footbeds. These have been modified with Bomber BTS (blue). I bought them here used last year as an experiment, but find them kind of stiff for my riding style.

If you're interested in anything, just email me through the forum.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, just saw your post, haven't logged in for a while ;).

I have a bigger board, I will be selling this year - 2010 SG 185 Full Race T. I very good condition. I have posted it here before, so you can see it. I am also local to you, so you can actually come and see it. LMK, PM here or e-mail at m underscore peev at hotmail.

Thanks!

Millen