Note to New Members ×

Can you carve on water???

WASMAN

Awesome photo! I can't quite tell from the picture; did you recover, or did you take a swim?

I've only tried pond skimming once, so I'm no authority (I did make it across though!). However, I think that if you try to carve, you're likely to stuff the edge / nose and get wet, but a slarve or a skidded turn would work. I just went straight across on a 4807...it was like having a motorboat when everyone else was on a kickboard. :)

We need some pond skimming pics from Whitefish. I think Dave Redman won their pond skim once and finished second or third a couple of times. The last rounds involve having to carve around a couple of four litre mile bottles and a blow up alligator ... good spectating.

Where is that video of John and Dave with their snowboards out on the lake? That was hilarious and might answer your question ...

• 2 weeks later...

Spring fun. Way to go WASMAN!

I just saw two people try Fernie's pond skim on snow blades. They didn't do well.

Dave and I tried the Whitefish pond skim on alpine boards in 2011.

Here's me pushing the limits of edge hold. I didn't do well, but sprayed the crowd nicely.

(sorry for the, ahem, water marks -- these are poached photos)

post-1861-141842392298_thumb.jpg

Here's Dave on his way to the money round, and eventually the win!

post-1861-141842392302_thumb.jpg

post-1861-141842392307_thumb.jpg

Our summer hardbooting video is here: