Note to New Members ×

Shaving sidewalls

crote123

Any advice on the best tool(s) to use? Any difference between snowboard and ski sidewall shaving? Most of the info I found was for skis. I reckon that there's probably no(little) difference but I've never done it before so I'm looking for some directions.

thanks

No difference between the tools for ski and snowboard. Go slow and easy! Chatter is what you want to avoid. Some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper will help smooth the edges when you are done.

http://www.skituning101.com/2010/03/ski-tuning-101-presents.html

The swix planer they recommend is a good bet. Some metal models can go for upwards of $150. Look for models with replaceable blades so you can ensure it's "thick" enough for your sidewall.

Edited by ti_knee

You might want to read a few tips here, from JBT, Tooltonic sharpening guru:

http://tooltonic.com/conseils.asp?smenuactif=4

check the users manuals: even if you do not own his tool, you can learn from that

he developped a new technique that preserves the edge life and makes it very easy to resharpen on a daily basis too...:

Steps ( résumé) for a 89° efficient edge

0. Sidewall "shaving"

1. steel detemper using diamond file 200/400( the steel has been heaten by riding or by ceramic discs at the factory and is too hard to sharpen)

2. base beveling (1° guide + race file) plus polishing as much as possible ( diamond 200/400/800/Stone) ( at least one hour per edge by hand)

3. side sharpening with file @87° + diamond 200/400

that is when the trick is happening:

4. side sharpening with diamond 200 @88° ( 12 times along the edge) + diamond 400 (8-10times) at same angle

the idea beeing that you will get only a fraction of the steel at 89°, lower 1/3d of the edge, meaning it will be very easy to retune using very small moves and metal consuming..

Hope i'm clear ( I think he has info on the site about that)

Nils

I think the same idea nils is describing is used for sharpening the blades for wood planes, and kitchen knives.

I have the FK tool as well and it works fine. You need to adjust it very carefully to get good results. While ski vs snowboard doesn't make much difference, cap vs sandwich does. You need to adjust the blade differently (and the FK tool allows you to use a different shape cutting edge to help) for each.

One of the sidewall shaving tools uses a panzar file in an extreme angle edge guide (like 6 degrees or something). I may try that as it may take less fiddling. Does anyone use this one? If so, how does it compare?

For anyone looking for one, slidewright.com has the SVST World Cup sidewall planer for $129.99 w free shipping. I just ordered one up. They are listed as backordered, but they can get them fast (talked to them this week). I saw them listed at $180 on another site.

For anyone looking for one, slidewright.com has the SVST World Cup sidewall planer for $129.99 w free shipping. I just ordered one up. They are listed as backordered, but they can get them fast (talked to them this week). I saw them listed at $180 on another site.

List Price: $102.30

Price: $92.07

http://www.slidewright.com/skiman-roto-razor-sidewall-cutter-aluminum-body_art3005.html?cat=801

post-198-141842389829_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the SVST planer, and just planed the sidewalls on a Lib Tech board. Having planed and edged one side of this board, this may be the last time I buy a magnetraction board. Re-angling the file and planer over the whole edge is a serious pain in the *&&%.

Having said that, the SVST is a nice piece of equipment. The carbide bit fits on a pole that fits into the tool, allowing you to set it up at any angle. The stainless base moves smooth over the base of the board, and you can vary the angle the tool cuts at, by modifying the angle you hold the tool while passing it over the sidewall.

Two thumbs up for the SVST tool.

Before :-

post-7931-141842391145_thumb.jpg

Prepped with marker:

post-7931-141842391151_thumb.jpg

Tool :-

post-7931-141842391154_thumb.jpg

I wonder, given the apparent difficulty of shaving an edge with a wave in it as the magna traction or any irregular shaping, if a spoke shave would be a good tool for the job. Takes a bit of skill to use but ultimately not that difficult

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=62800&cat=1,50230&ap=1

This is an overly nice one for this use.

I don't think that the spokeshave wouldn't be a good tool, as you want to be able to grind just the sidewall away, leaving the metal edge intact, and the blade on the spokeshave is pretty large; I guess you could angle it to avoid the edge, but I think that a sidewall remover would be easier to use.

Scrutton, I see what you mean. I wasn't seeing what was going on in the picture properly and had the wrong image of what was going on. I agree one could use a spokeshave but it would be a pain in the ass!!

Thanks for catching that,

forrest

One of the sidewall shaving tools uses a panzar file in an extreme angle edge guide (like 6 degrees or something). I may try that as it may take less fiddling. Does anyone use this one? If so, how does it compare?

on this, I have tried "The Beast" version of this, 7 degree with a panzar file. I did not like it, it did what it should, but takes off the top bit of metal edge, and on one old board, took probably the top half of the edge.

I also have normal sidewall planer, and other than cost, the SVST seems to be by far the best, just by being able to adjust the entire mechanism to get a better contact with most of the sidewall not 1mm or so section of the sidewall like most of the other tools. this is indicated in the pictures above, you can see what I mean.

also, I have noticed, that regular planers do work much better on vertical sidewall skis, rather than snowboards that have a less vertical sidewall.