Note to New Members ×

Anyone wear impact protection beyond a helmet?

Unicorn Poop

I routinely wear the following when resort riding:

-661 spine protector and chest pad

-Mesh padded shorts and tailbone pad

-Arcteryx kneecaps

If racing boardercross or slalom gates, I also add a Giro fullface downhill helmet and a carbon fiber forearm guard for my leading arm.

I have gradually added more armor over the years, as I have broken most of these areas when I didn't have the armor- I may be a slow learner, but extreme pain has a way of accelerating the learning curve.

Absolutely. Helmet, POC spine guard and Level gloves with Biomex wrist guards. Luckily never needed them (knock-knock). Not so much afraid of getting hurt by falling, rather getting hit by one of the punks jettin' straight downhill... Thinking about swapping the spine guard to a body armor. Not sure if it's worth the hassle tho.

Edited by Levinnyog

I can not stress how important I think a back protector is. In my opinion it is THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF PROTECTION that you will own. I wear a Forcefield T-Pro back protector, which is CE level 2 certified, there are even better back protectors out there if you search. Look up "CE Level 2" to learn more about impact protection. I also wear Forcefield T-Pro limb tubes under my jacket and some cheesy knee guards under my pants. You want to look for gear that is CE certified, CE Level 2 for the back is almost a requirement, and if you can get level 2 protection for your elbows and knees, that would be great, CE Level 1 is more common for armor other than back armor.

Hope that helps some of you guys gear up on protection. $1500 snowboards, $500 bindings, $600 boots, $300 jacket, $400 bibs. Spend some money on a back protector that will keep you out of the hospital.

Thanks for the informative post! After reading what you wrote, and doing a little research, I ordered the Forcefield Pro Shirt. It is very light, while having CE approved EN1621-2 Level 2 protection. It provides full spine, chest, shoulder, elbow and forearm armor. I'll add my review of it after I've had some on the snow time to check it out. In the first pic below I turned the sleeves to show the elbow and forearm armor.

9f69f141-2045-4dd6-9b9a-33804bc64334.jpg137d324e-b145-4b9c-b59c-6029cb17e8e5.jpg

Edited by Gcarve

• 1 month later...
I have been using a Leatt Adventure vest for the past two seasons, I've cracked a few ribs, and I found this one to offer the best rib protection from my own elbows.

http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php/choose-your-sport/snowmobiling/leatt-body-vest-adventure

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33455[/ATTACH]

This is what I will be going with next season for both myself and my 9 year old. I like my SixSixOne (see post above) back protector but there isn't enough protection over the chest.

I usually wear an alpinestars bionic 2. Great protection, not bulky (I can use same size gear as before), fits well under a normal sweater. Saved me from serious injuries a cpl of times...I also use level gloves, with wrist guard protection embedded between the inner and outer glove

I also use level gloves, with wrist guard protection embedded between the inner and outer glove

How do you like your Level gloves? I wear Dakine wrist guards inside my gloves. They definitely add a layer of re-enforcement, but fairly sure it's not the best choice available.

Edited by Gcarve

Love them! They have Kevlar reinforcement in multiple points, lasted 9 years and still going! The biomex protection saved me multiple times, you don't feel it's there until you crash or push on your hands to get up. Customer service is great too, I broke one part and they sent me a replacement after 8 years from purchase! Bought a pair for my gf too :)