Note to New Members ×

Booster strap

TLN

Hi.

Does anyone using Booster strap?

Got some question to bootster strap users:

1. Do you think it's worth it, compared to non-elastic straps on track700/rc10?

2. Here's the chart from a website:

post-9349-141842381361_thumb.jpg

This one is for skiers. As i got, alpine boarders usually like some flex. Not talking about racers.

Which one should i go, if i'm 100 kilos guy? Medium (also called expert) or WC one?

Quite interested in opinion on this, because what i find is pretty different: one say it doesn't make ride better, some can hardly tell any difference and the most part have never tried this.

Soo.. go for booster or get a bottle of whiskey?

I prefer to use a wide 1 1/2'' to 2''(4 or 5 cm) wide wrap around velcro closure strap. Booster straps slide around when you tighten them, but you could always secure it to the boot so it won't slide. I just thought they were to narrow because on my boots(Deeluxe) the straps contact the liners on each side and I was getting side squeeze. I'm at 95kg.

Edited by digger jr

I got a set this season on my UPZ's. Agreed that the slide around is a pain in the butt, but they do seem to hold the boot better than the UPZ velcro strap, which I used to find would wriggle loose over the day. TBH, any difference is marginal. I think I paid about $35 for mine, and I don't think I'd pay any more. They certainly haven't magically fixed my shin bang issue.

I also use the strap, in my upz. they dont slide around. if you put them in the boot right. They have a much stronger hold on, than the velco. Cause my top buckle comes off, and I cant even tell until I take the boots off. Cause the strap is holding on for dear life.

My UPZs came with the 3-strap (stiff) model, they'd cause my feet to fall asleep if I tightened them a tiny bit too much. I changed to the 2-strap model and quite like them.

I agree with Allee, just barely worth the money they cost. They're a great place to mount boot heater battery packs. LOL!

In reference to shin-bang. Keeping pressure on the liner improves your chances of keeping contact between the shin and the front of the liner.

On UPZ's, the booster still weeves through the rear of the spoiler plastic, then over the front of the liner. If you place it over the front of the plastic on the boot, you don't really get the full benefit of the strap's intent.

The US rider you were referring to likely just wanted more leverage, so placing the booster around the plastic of the boot in the front of the boot essentially adds a 3rd buckle above the ankle with a bit of give. And the team riders don't care for comfort, they go for performance. Boots insane-tight and and fully un-buckled while on the lift or not actively riding/skiing.

Tried them when I first got my UPZs. Didn't like the feel of Boosters initially but was also having chronic issues with boot fit and performance overall. I've been on a mission to get more flex out of UPZ without hacking them up and rigging a BTSish device. I ditched the stock liners for thermos and now have a pretty good fit and thought I'd give the Booster straps another try the other day as directed on the instructions. They do suggest for "best" results to put them over the liner and not tongue of shell. The strap is still put through the back of the shell to anchor it so only the front is over the liner. These were the "expert" mediums.

What a difference! It felt like I got more range of motion and got a rebound feel after flexing forward. You can essentially adjust this rebound simply by how tight you crank the strap. And it does make a difference. At first I had it super tight and it felt like my boots were extra spring loaded. Loosened it off and found that sweet spot. My boots felt so lively, it was weird but very welcoming.

For those of you wondering, I did try this on the outside (ie where you'd normally have the stock strap across the tongue/shell) and it feels more constricting, stiff and limited movement. Still felt okay but nothing special. It was more like I had the stock velcro straps on essentially just keeping the liner together with the shell.

I should also note that I have tried these on my ski boots with their stock liner "as directed" and found it uncomfortable because of thickness/placement of the liner and the traditional liner tongue. It was really squeezing my leg, and the pressure was concentrated. My thermos however are fairly thick and are wrap-style so I don't notice it.

Anyway, if you're at a point where you feel like you can't tune your boots anymore, for $30ish these might be the ticket.

Edited by Hilux
Adding content

I got a set this season on my UPZ's. Agreed that the slide around is a pain in the butt, but they do seem to hold the boot better than the UPZ velcro strap, which I used to find would wriggle loose over the day. TBH, any difference is marginal. I think I paid about $35 for mine, and I don't think I'd pay any more. They certainly haven't magically fixed my shin bang issue.

Go to your local hardware store and buy some foam flooring for kids play areas (they go together like a jigsaw puzzle). Then cut it up and stuff it in between your shin and your liner, or your liner and your boot shell. Then throw the booster strap around the liner or boot shell. This will magically fix your shin bang problem.

Edited by purpletiesto

I use the WC model Booster strap. I weigh 250lbs (113kg) and have Head Stratos Pro boots. I really like the Booster Strap. I can tighten down the top of the boot which makes it feel like I've added another buckle. Also, I like the Booster Straps better than the stock velcro strap because I can get the Booster Strap tighter than the stock velcro strap due to stretching the elastic in the Booster Strap.

FWIW, I put the strap the outside of the boot shell and tongue.

Edited by heroshmero

I rode boosters for years on the outside of my shells, What a Dummy:smashfrea. Last season the guy at Equipe in the Stratton village suggested I put them inside right on the front/tongue of the liner, What A difference!!!!. I no longer have issues with my shins. Mine are attached to the back of the shell so they dont slide. I cant believe I rode with them on the outside for so many years. If you can get them inside without any fit issues you will be happy you tried it.

Just a reminder, they should go around the liner and not the boot shell. :)

both options - around liner or around shell - is worth considering, for different feel. I ran it over the shell' tongue (head stratos pro boots).

2TLN: yes, sure, booster is BEST low-cost update to boots bar none. you can take WC - and then modify it down to medium if considered too hard, there's easy way to do just that

both options - around liner or around shell - is worth considering, for different feel. I ran it over the shell' tongue (head stratos pro boots).

2TLN: yes, sure, booster is BEST low-cost update to boots bar none. you can take WC - and then modify it down to medium if considered too hard, there's easy way to do just that

But it ain't reversible, i guess?

Anyways, it's nice to see all the responses, and looks like I'd get once i get new boots.

Looks like it really worth trying the Boosters.

It always great to hear any opinions on that. I'd post my feedback, once i receive mine.

Edited by TLN

But it ain't reversible, i guess?

Looks like it really worth trying the Boosters.

there's no limitation to reverse that, but I can't see any need to. looking into some 10+ fellow riders ride mediums - from 50kg to 100kg weight - I can state that mediums will fit all, not counting most aggressive _skiers_. and yes - there's gold-colored buckle on WC.... )))