Note to New Members ×

Yet Another "Help Me Decide On A Board" Thread

charliechocolate

I had the pleasure of riding a Nidecker Proto courtesy of BlueB. Seeing as that this board is no longer in production and is rather hard to find, I'm in the market for a used board that is similar in liveliness and all-mountain rideability. I've looked around and there seems to be two relatively easy to find boards that fit the bill: the Donek Incline and the Prior ATV. If anyone has ridden either, I'd appreciate a contrast between the Inclinee and the Proto or the ATV and the Proto. I'd like to demo a board before I buy it but of course, it's not always possible. Thanks in advance.

There you go - good thinking Ink!

Patrick, here is my 2c:

Nothing I've ridden is quite as light and lively as the Proto, while being very versatile. ATV is closer to what you want then the original Incline (midn you, Sean tweeked those quite a bit, over the last few years). The best proof is that our local "offroad" h/boot superstar (or should I say a former superstar, alas) Dave*, strongly prefered ATV to Incline, especially in rough/soft snow. Both actually carve better then the Proto.

If you talk wery sweet to George, he might let you try his ATV 167. Or, Prior's demo fleet...

I can give you Dave*'s email / phone, you might be able to convince him to sell/demo the Incline.

Sport Junkies at Broadway had an used Nike branded board in low 160s that was only 24cm at the waist, for not much money. It might do what you want. There is also an AM shaped Rossi 160, a bit narrower though. It might be a foam core, like lots of Rossi boards...

A couple thoughts;

Prior ATV is a good softie-carver, but the 4WD has the liveliness that you may desire for HB riding. You could ask Chris to widen the board or change the nose profile if you'd like. Demo them for ~$40 and they take those demo days off a purchase if you make one.

Coiler AM is always sexy as hell, but you are waiting until next year. Nothing beats the custom awesomeness of working with Bruce

Dynastar 3800 - I wasn't a huge fan cause it couldn't hold an edge on hardpack, but I know BlueB loves them

F2 Eliminator/Volkl Coal - BX boards. Older models have a bit more nose, newer models have a bit of early-rise in the nose. I've got a 2011 F2 WC model with titanal and it's nice and damp. I ride it with softies, but it could handle plates.

You could also go pure SB boards that can be ridden with plates:

Rad Air Tanker 172 - I have one you could try out

Steepwater Plow 171 - there are a few lying around on the forum

Garage - the one in the classifieds looks intriguing.

There are other options out there, but this is a starting point.

-Gord

Title says it all, but I recently got back from a trip to salt lake where I put 2 days in on an Incline in hard boots and had an absolute blast! Floats in the powder, fun in the trees, stiff enough to lay over carves on the groomers even with a stiff Deelux Indy and cateks.

I also will run the incline with Catek Freerides.

This has become my go anywhere do anything board. Get it to the right spec for you and it will be more fun than any board the original poster sited (not familiar with some of the others).

I guess the major contrast between the incline and ATV is that the ATV evolved more from a hardboot board into an all mountain board, where as the incline is a stiffer, soft boot inspired board that can stand up to the rigors of hard booting.

Are you looking for the one board quiver, or a board that will nicely round out a quiver? I think both will work (you might also look at the Donek Phoenix). If I read the prior site correctly, the AtV is only offered in a 161 (but they can customize anything). Phoenix and incline art $600 while the ATV is $799.

Good luck. You can't go wrong with any of these boards.

Another great thing about the Incline is you can get it in any width you want without paying extra. I had a couple of these back in the early 2000's, I gotta try the updated version with the variable sidecut sometime. I bet a 164 or 168 w/ the Saber construction would absolutely rock, even at the Saber price.

I can't add any other info, but Bruce is working in a 3-4 week window right now. I think he's loving his CNC machine!

Son-of-a....I'm going to need to figure out a way to explain this to my better half...that's too fast, I could work in the "next season" angle over several months.

:)

Just rode my lovely VSR today at Blackcomb. Put a wonderful smile on my face. Thanks again Bruce!

-Gord

I can't comment on the Donek Incline or Blue B's Nidcker Proto, since I don't have any time on them, but I can talk intelligently on the Prior ATV and the Coiler AM, since I use both extensively as part of my quiver. I have a Prior ATV in a 167, which has been tweaked by Chris with extra carbon in the nose for stiffness in coastal crud and chop, and a Coiler 172 AM which I got from Mike T 6 or 7 years ago.

The Coiler is quicker edge to edge because if its slimmer waist profile, and can handle the steeps and trees, but because of the shape of the nose you need to go faster on it off piste to get it to get the nose to plane up. I bought the ATV specifically for a powder and tree board that could handle it fast or slow with hardboots, and feel that the nose profile and waist width work admirably well in that application.

If I could just have one board, it would be the Coiler AM with a titanal sheet, but the ATV works better as a sidecountry board. It's also more convenient to get one tweaked and customized just for you from Prior, being that you are in Vancouver and he's just up the road in Whistler.

In the interests of full disclosure though, I own three of Bruce V's Coilers (the 172AM, a VSR 180, and a WCRace 188) - and am saving my pennies to get more...

Geo

Edited by crucible

Yeah, tell me about it- this is the year that I start eating humble pie because my 12 year old daughter has surpassed me in terms on on-hill endurance and speed... Now she looks over her shoulder as we unload the lift and says, "Don't worry Dad, we won't lose you- but try and keep up"....

Well, I'll be able to give you an SBX/ATV head-to-head comparison very soon ;) Just by looking at the SBX, I can see why others have given those reviews. It has a short nose, and is quite stiff from tip to tail. Even though it's older, it was obviously a serious BX board in its day.

I just noticed that Kab is letting go of her Oxygen Supercross 164. There's been comparisons with it to the ATV where some folks say SuperX carves better whereas the ATV is the better all-mountain board. I'd love to hear other opinions.

Different boards;

ATV has a consistent sidecut and will ride a bit more damp/stable, the SBX has a shorter sidecut near the tail. This essentailly launches you through the latter half of the turn. Combine that with a stiffer tail, and it's a super-fun board, very lively and can punish you if you screw up. I used to have one mounted with PLS risers and Flow bindings...tons of fun until it got lifted at a certain Ontario resort known for board theft.

So it depends on what you are looking for. Does it rail? yeah. Does it do well in soft snow and powder...not really.

So in conclusion from my ramblings; if you want something for the North Shore that will handle soft-snow conditions, then ATV. If you want something that rails the hard-pack on busier days where you can't let loose on hardboots, then the O2 SBX.

Also, Kabi takes great care of her gear (we used to race together a few years ago), so you can't go wrong at $150.

-Gord

From my test ride today, I'd say Gord is right-on about the SBX. It's surprisingly fun to ride at high or low speeds--if the conditions are right. (And by "right" I mean groomed.) I could see my legs getting tired quickly riding clumpy, bumpy snow. Ultimately, I think a heaver or aggressive rider would get the most out of it.