Note to New Members ×

Liner Question

Maxlanaudiere

High guys I'm looking to replace my liners in my head boots. I am looking for a wrap style liner and I have very skinny legs. The intuition powerwraps were too loose. I would need some suggestions, I would liek a thermofit liner wich would be really thick at the calve region.

I know about the powerwraps + but I would like to have more options. Seems like its going to be an on-line order so I don't want to screw it up.

Thanks in advance !

Maxlanaudiere,

this may or may not work. Keep in mind that after a TF liner comes out of the oven, the material can only be compressed. If your feet are *too* skinny, you will need a technology where the liner can also expand to take up excess volume. In other words, a foam-injected liner. Or a shell with less volume.

My wife had the same problems with her Heads and switched to UPZs instead. She got a good deal, so the boots cost less than she would have paid for injection liners.

And just out of curiosity: Why use a size 30 liner instead of a 29?

I can get a proer fit for my feet no problem. The issue is with the gap better the upper cuff of the boots and my legs.

The reason why I asked about using 30 liners in a 29.5 shell was that gearx as some scarpa liners for sale at 19$ and the smallest size left are 30s. A skinny legger recommended my those liners. I think for 19$ I'll give em a try and see how it goes.

Also consider how tight you are buckling up the boot after the liner comes out of the oven. If you have skinny calfs then you wouldn't want to crank down on the top buckles necessarily. If the buckles are tight(er) it will compress the liner and potentially give you unwanted space. I went through this process and it makes a huge difference.

Oh, and I have 28 liners in 27/27.5 shell.

Hope this helps!

Max, I am using theses exact same liners in my UPZ and got the info from here on bomber that a few others were using them as well in upz. All the same thing .. 29 or 30 liner in a 27 shell and no issues and I have chicken legs. I am not sure which liner you have right now but they made my UPZ A LOT softer since the OEM liner has a plastic tongue. Just something to keep in mind.

I was able to get the liner right in the boot without even heating and they were pretty comfy.

IF you need more info give me a call or facebook.

If the buckles are tight(er) it will compress the liner and potentially give you unwanted space. I went through this process and it makes a huge difference.

Also, there is a "how to bake your liners" video around somewhere on the web. Near the end of the vid, the guy flexes the boots backwards and forwards.

If you have too much room in the cuff, DO NOT do that.

I did the first time, and the liners were far too loose around the shins. The second time I just closed the buckles enough to feel they were closed and stood still (toes raised) during the cool-down. Much better fit!

I was able to get the 29.5 Scarpa liners from GearX in my 27.5 Heads without any problems. It was a bit of a bitch to do, but they came out fine.

I can get a proer fit for my feet no problem. The issue is with the gap better the upper cuff of the boots and my legs.

The reason why I asked about using 30 liners in a 29.5 shell was that gearx as some scarpa liners for sale at 19$ and the smallest size left are 30s. A skinny legger recommended my those liners. I think for 19$ I'll give em a try and see how it goes.

I had the same problem with the upper cuff. The two size two big liner jammed in the boot only worked for about half a day before it was too loose again. Didn't even bother going after the toe area which was way too tight with that liner. I ended up going to a much smaller UPZ and punched the crap out of the toe along with removing all the foam from the liner around the big toe. Very happy now.

Edited by dingbat

I tried 29's or 30's in my 27's and they DID NOT work for me. A re-mold might help, but it seemed like there was just too much material in there for my feet.
I had an issue with that when I first baked my liners. What I did was to take some foam tape used for sealing doors, and wrap it around my entire forefoot, ie not just the toe cap. I left the heel bare as I wanted a tight fit there. 2nd bake was good.

to the OP,

you may want to look into a plug liner, like the Intuition FX Race or HD Race, they are a tongue liner, not wrap around.

but the calf is specifically thicker for your problem, I have a pair of I think the FX Race, and they are much thicker and take up more room at the calf and on leg above ankle than red thermofits, I feel they are more comfortable too.

• 3 weeks later...
Cool

Take out the liners, take off your socks, paper and pencil

put your bare feet in, toes up to the front, look at the space behind your heel, do it for all boots, mark down the differences, a finger or less distance is desirable, this should help in choosing the shell, now, choose a liner, I like custom foamed with custom orthotics, no heel slip, excellent fit.

If one of the sets of liners works, good.

Ursle, I know how to size my boots, the whole deal lies with the fact that I ride in three different pairs of boots (HSP, AF700 and Burton Wind) that all fit me very well, and not only do I have the original liners (which have their pluses and minuses) but also four different pairs of thermos to play around with (Intuition Gold ID, Raichle blacks, Raichle reds and the cheapo Scarpas).