Note to New Members ×

Afton Alps 2012/2013

Scott.Creer

rode a little yesterday afternoon and this morning. Saw and rode with trent for a bit today, who was bumming he was back in MN. The snow was great, but wholly cow was it crowded.

Saturday, I saw you Scott, on 7. While waiting for you to ride the lift up I got a call to the bottom of 17. That is a long skate from 7. Lift operator told me someone hit a tree up "a little ways on the left." I decided to hike it and told another patroler who arrived the same time as me to ride the lift and one of us would get there faster. Turned out it was where Rosie's and Vicky's merged. Nice cardio workout and I beat the other patroller riding the lift. Fortunately the guest was OK.

Sunday Trent bumped into me (literally but gently, twice to get my attention) in the lift line of 5. I was 2 planking for the USSA race with one of my kids. We had a nice 5 minute chat, shared board issues and repairs needed. I headed off to 2 where I was able stand around most of the afternoon waiting for the offspring to take a run, Trent wisely went home. It was a busy holiday weekend that afternoon.

Conditions were nice both days. Good to see the sun. Most runs held an edge well. Easy 12 was a nice playground away from the crowds.

Did Trent have some new hardware on his board?

not yet....

powell1.8 and i rode a little this morning. super cold, super fast, and super groomed! they had the dealer ski / snowboard event going on chair 2 and 3 (dealers and manufacturers out demoing next years gear). the runs were groomed extra smooth. too bad i had exactly ZERO energy today. the snow seemed sweet, i just couldn't get going.

oh, a head's up for this weekend..... both sat and sun will have a zillion racers all over the front runs. it's the last race of the year, and it's going to be uber crowded!

-trent

Nothin' going on at Buck. Thursday is the last night of Ski Challenge, so other than a course here or there, racing is mostly wrapped up, the big exception being Saturday March 9th, which is the D-Team Invitational.

sweet! racing wrapped up.... might have to see if i can schedule a night session at buck yet this season. thanks gerg!

-trent

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone think Afton will be worth a 'go' tomorrow (Tuesday 5-Mar) evening? 4-8" over the next 24, so I get worried about there being too much new snow, and being lumpy and unrideable. I haven't been there since Christmas, so not even sure what the current conditions are. Season's wrapping-up quick, and just looking to get in a couple more days before breaking out the storage wax.

Cheers! Brian.

• 2 weeks later...
Is afton worth going any more or is the snow crap?

Just got back from bridger bowl montana and deffinitely miss this sport, and would like to rail a few more turns before summer.

Last Saturday the snow was soft with the warm temperatures. Very nice. Monday there was a little fresh stuff on top of a fast base. More fresh stuff tonight. Don't forget. Tomorrow is the spring fling, a chance to see if your board floats as well as it carves.

I'll be there, but I may be on 2 planks for the toboggan race.

what a week so far!

monday (3/18) was a powder day. yes, in mn, and in march! it was awesome, just not really for carving. but i was on the new plate giving it a whirl, and having fun the whole time.:biggthump

tues (3/19) i was worried it would be too soft. boy was i wrong! thanks to the cold (9 degrees) temp, and the 20mph winds, it was hero snow! yep, the day after powder, in march! oh, and not a cloud in the sky either. and of course nobody on the hill. thank you easter bunny!:D rode the plate most of the day, then switched at the end to my glass slalom board just to see if i could still hold an edge. holy carving batman! i stayed about an hour longer i was having so much fun.

get out and ride! this won't last. (did i mention it's march in mn?)

oh, and this weekend is "food shelf" days at afton. bring in 4 items to donate to the food shelf, get a lift ticket for $8! :)

-trent

Edited by trent

get out and ride! this won't last. (did i mention it's march in mn?)

like he said! :biggthump

awesome yesterday at buck.

i love that its march and cold and that the people around me are bitching about it. everyday this one guy wishes the snow would disappear so he can

. yeah, its all about him. i usually follow up with "conditions were great for snowboarding [last night/or over the weekend]". :eplus2::eplus2::eplus2:

With the fresh snowfall on Monday (3/18/13), Afton was a winter wonderland, less the breeze. The was very little traffic and pow stashes could be found off 16, and 12 until close. They never opened 6 on Monday, so if you didn't mind a slight skate uphill from 5, there was untracked available all night. It was a blast despite fighting a cough and cold.

My little 2 plank racer summed it up as: "This was the most fun free skiing that I had all year."

Conditions are bound to be good to excellent for today (again, less the wind).

I have always believed that March/April is generally the best time for skiing/ boarding at Afton and in the mountains. You get regular fresh dumps, the days are longer, generally warmer, the sun is higher in the sky, the snow tends toward heroic consistency, and the "tourists" are gone. This will all be a faint memory in a month. Personalize it, own it, elevate it!

I had a nice day today. Got out there around 11, and after about a half hour or so of figuring out how this all worked again i was rocking it!

It was hero snow again today. you could tell because i received several compliments on my riding (i'm certainly not that good). i spent most of the day on chair 2, i kept jumping a berm in the groom toe side, and landing heel side high on edge. It's really neat feeling you hand touch the ground before your board! i think the temps stayed in the low to mid teens today, with a very gusty wind; i would be hallin' a$$ until i turned into it and i would just stop some times.. really threw me off my game when it happened.

btw, the groom on the nastar side of 2 was in fact terible, as i've learned to expect from Afton Alps. I finally wrapped it up at 4:30. Very satisfied.

it was a good outing. For how little time i've had on a board the last couple of years i felt like i was able to work less to get the board to do more... i might have to put some serious thought into upgrading my board next year, if this becomes a habit again. recommedations?

Edited by Call me jack

• 2 weeks later...

3/29/13

Managed to create a few trenches before the 6 PM close. Since they were calling rain on Saturday, wanted to get in at least another ride before the snow melts under the sun. If there is a thing called hero slush, that would describe the conditions Friday.

Met John, who works in Afton's lift department. He was on two planks but said he was riding one of the ski school's alpine boards until it softened up too much and he moved back to skiing. Sounds like he is looking for a board, but being a taller, bigger guy, he is probably going to need a lot of board once he progresses past the learning stage. If you have a big board and you are looking to clean out the basement, he may be interested next season.

Afton may be open next weekend, otherwise the end will be today, it all depends on the weather the next seven days. Either way, it's been a good season.