Note to New Members ×

goggles

srodeo

I am looking new goggles that will not make my eyes water.

Currently i use spy goggles but when i am going fast it makes my eyes water.

I've used older oaklys too

I wear contacts when i ride so that probably has a lot to do it also.

Those downhill skiers go way faster than i do so there is gotta be goggle that will help seal the air out better.

I thought maybe you guys have experience with some of them or know what feature i should look for etc.

Also if it does not cost a ton, that would be nice

Does anyone have any advice?

thanks

I also use contacts and without goggles or sunglasses my eyes water at speed.

It's unclear to me why you'd still get that if you're using goggles, which isolate you from the wind. So as I don't know what the problem is, I can't recommend how you may fix it, if you see what I mean. New goggles tend to be designed for use with helmets, but that just makes them thicker; other than that they're pretty much the same as the old goggles. Get some which are on sale and which fit and which are a respectable brand. I've had no trouble with Oakley, although I think they're a bit overpriced (too much marketing).

Look for some with thicker foam seal I guess, or fewer vents (although you may find that causes other problems).

That's cause your goggles don't fit your face. When I used crap-fitting goggles there always was some gap between the foam and my face that blew wind into my eyeballs, or I always had to fiddle with them as they'd be too tight on the forehead, but then too loose around the cheeks or vice versa.

I had to go through six different pairs of goggles to find ones that not only fit my face and helmet, but also worked well when riding. This included having the right field of view, ventilation and options like being able to quickly swap out lenses. I settled on the Smith Prodigy, bought two pairs as backups for $60 each on ebay and a ton of extra lenses. Now I'm happy as pie. Buy the goggles that fit your face/helmet and not the ones that look cool or are on sale.

Philw, I've tried closing some vents with tape and it made the lense fog up. Especially in warmer weather.

Benttech, I am glad to see i am not the only one. I did not want to go thru multiple pairs of goggles before i find one.

I have been having similar problem tight on forehead and loose around cheeks.

I will try to find smith prodigy and try it on.

Out of ones you've tried which ones didn't work?

http://www.habervision.com/goggles/goggles.aspx

Gauranteed fit - call or e-mail and they can assist with the best fit http://www.habervision.com/content/service.html

I have a large head and like a wide perifery view. I wear the Ouzo model (fit = large) http://www.habervision.com/product/Ouzo.aspx

Also ordered an extra lens in clear for night riding and/or for low light conditions. Consider doing this to save on shipping.

Use AFFINITY CODE MEMBER "LC1231R" for the member discount.

You might have the same problem as me. Apparently I have a really small face, and the only goggles that fit me are Smith Anthems and Oakley A Frames. (Some of the Asian fit Oakleys would likely work too, but I've never tried them on). The current trend to the bigger goggles just looks ridiculous on me, and none of them fit - they all have gaper gap, or they won't seat on the side of my face.

If it was me, I'd take my helmet, go to the shop, and try stuff on until you find something that fits - no gaps, nice and tight to the face. There's no point wasting time and money on stuff that doesn't fit - if it doens't work it's not a deal. Go and find out.

srodeo I have the same problem. Only worse. I'm nearsighted and wear glasses (tried contacts, can't stand 'em) and had a huge problem with fogging whenever I wore goggles over the glasses. Finally I got a pair of prescription goggles (basically wraparound sunglasses with a foam insert to seal out wind) and it was better, but still had fogging issues. I removed the insert because the fogging is a worse problem than the eyes watering. They still fog up, but I can control it by rubbing the inside of the lenses with a special anti-fog lubricant called 'Cat Crap'. ($5 for a small container, sold in finer ski shops)

You might have to strike a balance and put up with either the watery eyes or the fogging.

I'm afraid this is as good as it gets.

like others have said, you will have to just try on with helmet....

I have noticed that Oakleys tend to fog more than other goggles for me.. the best overall I have found are Smith i/o's, I do not own them, as the Oakleys i have work fine, if I was hiking more and such, I would probably have some i/o's

Smith makes great goggles in a number of different sizes and profiles.

For those with glasses or fogging problems, check out the Smith OTG (over the glasses) goggles. Specifically the Turbo Fan models. They have an integrated fan venting system that works rather well. You can also pay for their ODS (ocular docking system) that is a custom Rx insert (in place of wearing glasses) for their OTG goggles.

Ultimately you need to try on an assortment of models to find ones that fit your face and helmet.

To avoid watering eyes, make sure the face foam sits snugly against your skin all the way around the whole goggle. Most of the time the problem is air leaking in around the nose or near the temples. Make sure they fit well and this shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by heroshmero

Sounds like you goggles may not fit properly try some on and see what you like and be sure that the foam around the edges of the goggle is resting on your face all the way around. Also if you are trying on goggles do it with your helmet (if you wear one... I hope you do :P).