Note to New Members ×

New Pow board - Fawcett boards

pan

yep ditto...but i'm mostly aware of the downgrade in performance and versatility...why go back 35 years in terms of performance....?

yes the riders level has improve, but its still boards from the early 80's that will sink and be awfull once you reach the groomed...( I bet 80% of the people riding pow end up on grooms on the last part of their ride..). Snowboard evolution improved versatility and performance in all fields...when you ride a modern powder board, it can excell in pow, be not bad in jumps, and carve not too bad...why loose all for a powder rider that will not be perfect in all pow conditions....??? marketing is an answer...difference at all cost is another....

N

164 cm only?

Am i the only one, who think it's too small for a pow board, unless it have 30cm waist?

That's a specific point. I would have broadly agreed with you until a Burton rep twisted my arm into riding a Fish, which you'll be aware has a 25cm waist. That's not too small, although we all thought it was when it came out.

I avoided those early 1980s boards for precisely the reasons Nils suggests. At best I'd have to ride piste to get to the powder, and in the sort of European resorts accessible to me at the time, edges were mandatory. These days, I ride piste at resorts and powder in the back country, hence I carry a race board and a powder board.

The reverse side-cut looks like the radical thing from my perspective. I take the point that these things were pretty much tried and dumped before, but having been surprised by the Fish I don't want to say "I don't like it because I haven't tried it". Materials and other understanding has come some distance since then, I'll give one a go and see.

So yes, they look very specific to sled or other non-lift-accessed stuff, of which there is a fair amount in some parts of the world.

That's a specific point. I would have broadly agreed with you until a Burton rep twisted my arm into riding a Fish, which you'll be aware has a 25cm waist. That's not too small, although we all thought it was when it came out.

I avoided those early 1980s boards for precisely the reasons Nils suggests. At best I'd have to ride piste to get to the powder, and in the sort of European resorts accessible to me at the time, edges were mandatory. These days, I ride piste at resorts and powder in the back country, hence I carry a race board and a powder board.

well, this board is considered a surfy-feel, and 164 is too small for being named surfy.

I haven't tried fish by myself, and i'd like to, but i think 165 will be too small for all 200lbs guys.

And as Nils mentioned, usualy big powder ends in either groomers or hardpack(resorts), where we're all, i think, would prefer edges and control, or some flats in BC. where bigger board float better. No tech is working in a flats.

Yes Phil you're right they deliver what they say they aim for...

but is the improvement in "surfy" feeling so big that the reverse sidecut can justify loosing versatility vs a good powder board that already has surfy feeling...I'm not sure...and even if I was to hike to and from the powder session without having to worry about edges, I wonder if I would choose such a specialized board....

Nils

I am stoked Fuzzy started up some thing.

Here is the snowkite board I shaped 5 years ago....http://www.snowkiting.com/component/content/article/41-snowboards-kitesnowboard/260-twisted-velocity-snowkite-board.html.

Here is a friends company that I help with. http://www.snowkiten.com/2009/12/3b-snowkiteboards-surfing-on-the-snow/

Both of these shapes have been around since 2006. Of course there is the small Banana Hammock from Lib tech which is the same shape.

I understand that Fuzzy's board is the same shape as it. In Pow this is one of the most fun shapes for riding in both directions. You can make the board work on hard pack but it is not fun.

I am sure some of this board has to do with Marks love of kiting.

Just like a alpine board it is a niche board, Pow Pow only,,,,,

Here is my hammer head model at work, thanks to a little raceboard tech....

no one will buy this to use at a resort just like no-one takes an 18x185 race board heli riding

as an end of the spectrum quiver board designed to be a no-board/pow-surf it looks great but I'd prefer a furberg shape for unexpected variable conditions.

and a length suitable for big guys

It depends on where and when you are planing to use it. There are certainly days and riding locals that do not have unexpected riding conditions. Not where I live now,per say, but blue bird deep days in Utah? Sure. These things are clearly not for the guys that own one board, or even a couple.

What Fawcett says makes sense.

Wakeboards have a similar shape. I would assume that these reverse sidecut boards feel like the difference between wakeboarding and waterskiing. A waterski feels like you need to lean your whole body over and the turn is happening over the length of the ski. Wakeboards feel like there's a pivot between your feet and you can dig that edge into the water and change directions much more quickly.

What Fawcett says makes sense.

Wakeboards have a similar shape. I would assume that these reverse sidecut boards feel like the difference between wakeboarding and waterskiing. A waterski feels like you need to lean your whole body over and the turn is happening over the length of the ski. Wakeboards feel like there's a pivot between your feet and you can dig that edge into the water and change directions much more quickly.

But a conventional waterski is also a reverse sidecut. I'm confused by what you mean.

The design is meant to give the board a different attitude in the snow.

A tapered board with sidecut will allow the tail to sink and the nose to rise. It's easy to ride because the nose is forced to your front foot and it passes through the snow more slowly because it's sunk in the snow.

Marks board (and TRice's too) sit on top of the snow and is less inclined to sink because of how wide it is in the middle. Mark obviously wanted it to ride a little less on top than Travis', because he says he's given it some taper. He then goes on to say that it is still in front of the front foot so he can stand on it and drive from the nose.

All together, this should give this board much more of an "on the snow" than "in the snow" feeling. That's probably how he likes it, as a guy like Mark wants to go as fast as possible and turn quickly too.

Whether this would work as a bindingless board really depends on how good you are. For the same reasons it works well in bindings, can mean it's not so good without. If you're new to the noboard / powsurf scene, you'll probably want a Fish shape that rides high in the front, pushing the nose to your front foot. You also likely wouldn't mind the slower pace of a board that likes to sink its tail.

I still want to know what "surfy" means.

Brian, Henry Kim Over at Apex is a swell fella, I know he and Mark built a great realationship, while developing the Apex plate. Thats awsome to see apexs continued support of snowboarding off piste as well.

Rob, I bet it feels more like being on plane working the snow like a fluid, then plowing and pushing, like a fish or pow stick with shovel. I am interested to try this shape with a stiffer nose. I really love the way the rrevearse side cut feels behind my kite, plus my boards are twin and that helps, The 164 length is great for all around conditions also. I see the need for a stiffer nose but think it would need a diet in the waist to work binding less. Here is my current bindingless kite ride.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1180433001297.27900.1542346866&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=10150497645467951&set=t.1542346866&type=3&theater