Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2012/13

pan

was the rear toe bail - broke at the start of the threads. stress riser there i suppose. my smaller diameter rad air bails lasted nearly two decades (on & off use) before failing; i was a bit surprised by this. guess one should travel with spares...

Edited by xy9ine

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having a fun weekend at sun peaks; sunny weather, nice groom, and wide open slopes with minimal bodies. such a departure from the coast. great carving mountain; i'm jealous. ran into george of all people - nice to meet you finally! saw three other hardbooters on slope, and also ran into brett tippie (ex alpine racer / mtb icon), who was mc'ing the snowboard big air comp. rad guy; rides kesslers too.

also - broke a bail on my td3's at the top of a run (end of day, fortunately). good times one-footing it to the

bottom...

Nice meeting you too! Considering that we live 6 blocks from each other in East Van, it seems like good karma that we meet for the first time at Sun Peaks... There were 4 other alpine carvers also at Sun Peaks that day, a retired couple from Missasauga Ont, and two asian carvers that were rocking Coilers that looked like mini Swoards.

I also met a lovely Scottish woman at Kicking Horse Resort in Golden who was riding a very burly Santa Cruz alpine racing deck. I helped her with some pointers on push-pull, and hand and shoulder position for proper upper body alignment, and we rode together for a couple of hours. Her name is Kat and she and her husband own a B&B in Golden called the Canyon Ridge Lodge.

If you're ever looking for a place to stay in Golden, definitely give them a look!

District 43's schools were closed today, so Luka and me went skiing...

Nice weather, warmish, no crowd.

Indespite of the snowfall last night, some icy patches showing almost everywhere... Panorama pretty choppy in lower part. Humpty mix soft choppy/icy, same as Horizon. Best snow was on the Collins.

Luka went down the mogul field of Upper Bowen! Dady is very proud! :D

Saturday, January 26th.

Got up to Cypress @ 0930- saw a Maple Leaf Coiler NSR on the rack, but didn't bump into any carvers- snow was 5-8cms of new meringue on top of some spring snow- typical coastal chowder that was rapidly chewed up by the sliding masses into icy choss and moguls on the groomers.

Because of the crowds and the snow conditions, I took out the Prior ATV and chose to stay high on the hill, up on Sky chair and Raven chair. The powder was choice in the trees, and even better in the Death Star zone, with avalanche conditions being very stable with little or no sloughing in the steeper zones.

Charging through the steep slopes, moguls and the trees is definitely a different animal than ripping through the groom, my lower back and ankles and thighs are stiff from the abuse.

Late in the day I hyper-extended the tendons in my front ankle and knee after going over the nose of the board while trying to avoid a stump going down Slash. I was able to limp back down to lower Bowen and back to my truck, and am working on the tendons now with liberal application of hot tub jets and Naproxen...

Luka at ski club, Boris teaching Ben and Dave... These 2 are soft boosters, so I set the plates in "quack" stance to Prior Mfr... Ben did lot of progress, but banged himself pretty badly after the classes...

Very few people in the am, but crowded later. Nice cord at first, later it started snowing quite a bit so the things chopped up. very flat light.

Coiler Amt is a joy to ride.

The huge jumps under the Eagle are completed and open to public. Hit them both and screwed up both :( Normaly I tend to have too much speed, but today the snow was sticky/slow - cought the knuckle on the first smaller jump and tumbled, then flat landed to table top of the bigger one. Nothing twisted or compressed, but my knee hit my cheek bone! Saw the sparkles on that one...

Few more runs after that and I stopped early to wait for Luka. Felt almost like falling asleep while riding - it must have something to do with watching my man Djokovic win his 4th Australian Open title, until 5am :D

The huge jumps under the Eagle are completed and open to public. Hit them both and screwed up both :( Normaly I tend to have too much speed, but today the snow was sticky/slow - cought the knuckle on the first smaller jump and tumbled, then flat landed to table top of the bigger one. Nothing twisted or compressed, but my knee hit my cheek bone! Saw the sparkles on that one...

You're insane Boris, I don't even know if I'd go off those?

I want to, but I know what will happen.

Cypress hasn't been doing a very good job on the jump building this year. IMO.

I don't mind jumps with a huge kick but they need to have a steeper landing than a regular jump.

ALL JUMPS NEED A LANDING THAT IS STEEPER THAN THE TAKE-OFF, that's just how it is. Dirt, street, snow, whatever!!

ALL of the jumps this year have steeper take-off's than landings.

Doesn't matter where you land, on the top, bottom or right in the middle.

You are going to explode, as I have been doing.

I've seen a tonne of people get hurt in the park so far this year.

One of my friends is out for the season, because of one of the park jumps.

I have bad luck in poorly built parks, I over shot a landing @ Seymour a few years ago & broke my tailbone.

Couldn't ride for 2 seasons. Devastating.

When I finally could ride, all I could do was just stand there & do really mellow carves.

TT

Yup, fog was thick up the mountain, but gradualy dispearsed towards the top. We ended up with good vis on JJA. Later when another cloud rolled in from the West, we moved to Raven/First Sun, where we found good vis again.

Snow was awsome in the morning - my favorite type, wet compact, fast and grippy. It softened a bit by lunch time, but remained carvable right through. Not too many people except for millions of school kids ski groups on Eagle chair.

Virtually no one on Crazy Raven, very smooth on top, a bit sticky on the very bottom. First Sun not groomed for a day or 2, choppy but carvable!

Roy was comparing the Coiler VSR 171/21 vs. Prior WCRM 173/21. I enjoyed my stupidly easy to ride AMT 177 :1luvu:

Gary was playing by himself somewhere around Eagle...

Edited by BlueB

I have 2 Palmer Titanium Channel boards, I'd like to sell the blue & orange one.

It's on Craigslist for $150, but if anyone in here wants it?

You can have it for $120. It was originally $799

I've only ridden it once, just to see if it was the same/different than the one year older model that I want to keep.

The older one might be a tiny bit faster? Due to the flames on the tail. But it's hard to tell.

post-11922-14184238353_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty impressed by these things, I got to try Poutanens new board.

I can't remember what kind it was?

It looked like an ironing board kinda, well not really but it had squared of blunted nose & tail.

I honestly thought the Palm rode better, of course he thought the fancypants board rode better.

Only difference is he just paid close too or over $1000 for his.

But if I were him, I would never admit it either if I just doled out that much cash.

If you're on the fence about it? I'll let you try it.

You can even throw your own bindings on it, so you'll know exactly what she's capable of.

Then you'll want it for sure!!!

I try to get up to Cypress as much as I can & usually bring the one with flames.

So if your heading up there, chances are I am too.

Message me & we can meet up.

Cheers

post-11922-141842383525_thumb.jpg