Note to New Members ×

Vancouver Carvers' Diaries 2012/13

pan

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to the hill at around 6 and was surprised to see still a few people. The ski club left gates on one of the runs to the left of the Eagle chair, Maelle Ricker's, I think. I thought I'd give it a go and it turned out to be more than I thought.

It was very chopped up and crunchy everywhere. Maybe tomorrow's crew will have better snow.

Big crew, lots of fun, lots of boards, springlike conditions, weekendlike (almost) crowd, variable vis...

I had great fun with head to head test of Coiler Chubby 177, Kessler 177 and Tomahawk 182! Hard call - 3 great boards... In the more solid conditions in the morning Kessler shone with the edge hold and "autopilot" kind of correction of mistakes. Tomahawk cranks the turns tighter and finishes nicer, while it might have just slightly less grip. As the conditions started to soften up, it became more unforgiving to ride. On the other hand, Chubby held his own in the even softer conditions later on!

Gary had a blast on my spare Nidecker Proto! Stepping from his 3800, the carves seemed effortless. It showed in his riding too. Good job buddy!

Ruwi, who rides Grouse more often, joined our crew today. We also ran into Federico...

Pics: Boards and Boys...

Ruwi, Federico, Boris, Roy, Gary, Tony

post-1678-141842385911_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842385914_thumb.jpg

I've been reading up about the 3800, seems as though this thing is a dream board?

Originally they were made by Sin;), but then how long did Dynastar make them, only a year or two?

Did they change from year to year?

I'm really thinkin' about getting one just for the deep days.

From what I've read it handles similar to a few other powder specific boards, but most if not all the other boards I've heard mentioned have rocker somewhere in them.

The 3800 doesn't, correct. Just curious as to how it achieves its greatness?

What's the goin' rate for one of these? Are they hard to find or do people generally want to keep them?

I would be riding it with softies.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Very good board, not only for deep days, it carves pretty well too!

O'Sin was just a bastard child of Dynastar, so yes the same shape. I don't know if the layup changed over the years. The Dynastars are Carbon/Kevlar!

As for the performance, no, no rocker, it is mostly about being heavilly directional - lots of set back, big nose shovel, reduced tail surface, some taper, soft nose, stiff tail.

There were few used ones on Bomber recently, in $250+ range. They actually increased in value over the last few years!

See with Scooby if he had a spare 163.

Patric, Roy, Rod, Boris, Perry + another unknown carver on asym...

Variable vis; crappy snow loose on top, frozen under; medium crowd... Runs of the day, Midway, Humpty.

I struggled with Roy's Stubby, didn't have time to try his WCRMw. Enjoyed the ElDiablo a lot more in the given conditions.

Patric is riding visibly better every time we see him - good work buddy!

Damn, is this live?

I was thinkin' of coming up there.

Hopefully one of you guys is tech savvy & this will go right to your phone?

Curious, will ski boots work in hard boot bindings?

I have a pair of old ski boots & I have still yet to try this hard boot thing.

But I'm itchin' to try it. I like my softies as stiff as they come.

This is my 25 year riding softies, so I think I can get the hang of it pretty quick.

I think?

Plus I got a new toy

Niles aka TonyMontana aka timmytard ;)

Edited by timmytard

Just thought because it was @ 10:30 this morning he might have done it from his phone?

Well, I just checked a few weeks ago, 9.5.

I usually buy 9's, so I'd probably fit 26.5-27.5

I take it my crappy, really old ski boot are no good?

Sure you can use your old ski boots; they're just going to feel different. Ask Boris for details.

1 cm is a big jump in boots but I have a pair of 26.5 snowboard hard boots I can loan you for a day or two. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Yes, of course you can use the ski boots for carving. That's what I use. Advantage is if they are not too stiff.

Let me know when you are in the mood and I'll bring a spare board. Can't remember if you rode goofy or regular?

I'll probably go up tomorrow 10am-1pm, then ski Friday early afternoon with my kid, then ride Sunday all day again...

Hey, thanks B.

I'm actually just going to head out the door, got to stop by Metro town to pick up a buddy.

I'll bring the boots, you can tell me if they will work or not? They are pretty old.

I ride goofy. I ended up buying a 3800, a brand new 169.

Only rode it for a few hours, but so far it's great, but I think it's a bit too big for me so I might trade Roy for his 163?

Should be up there in just over an hour.

I wear a blue & grey Whistler snowboard school jacket.

By the way, your review of the 3800 is bang on. The back end was hooking in the snow until I moved the bindings all the way back.

Now it rides awesome

TT

Kaz, Scoob, B...

Very few people on the hill... on/off vis in the morning. It started snowing at 11sh, then a lot by the time we left. Way better snow conditions then last week...

I fixed my Prior metaltop, boy I love that board!

Add pixs, not complete without them and I saw xynine and his son

RT

post-6136-141842386667_thumb.jpg

post-6136-14184238667_thumb.jpg

Edited by CarvingScooby

Riders: Roddy, Kaz, Morgan, Yoshii & fam, "mystery" HBer & me. Toy's: SG BX 167, Ogasaka + POW board, KST180, Stubby 173:biggthump.

Start early but Cypress groomers was overwhelmed with Friday snow dump. Lions only start at 9AM and Eagle at 9.15AM, staff even made us wait at the ticket checker fence near the lodge:freak3:.

Snow conditions looks so yummy but the groomed soft corduroy was not holding, inconsistent all over the place, some area soft & deep that can sink half the board half of the turn thn the hardpack under layer throw board back into surface. Flat lite also to blame for my cartwheeling at mid JJ, kind of wreck my right shoulder as the landing impact point :mad: thx for the body armour it kind of soften the impact :biggthump

Rainbow wasn't groomed and Horizon was ok. Crazy Raven was bad this time, First Run wasn't groomed but Cayote was awesome but only two run before the traffic build up, an uncontrolled skier that almost hit the ski club staff indicate it's time to move to Midway. Midway was the best of all and by 11.30AM Midway start to soften...

RT

Edited by CarvingScooby

Sold, thanks for your time.

I'm going to sell my Dynastar 3800 169, just thought I'd throw it out to you guys first.

It's absolutely pristine, without a single blemish.

I don't have pics @ the moment, but you guys all know what it looks like.

It has only been ridden for about 4 hours @ Hemlock last weekend.

There was almost 2 feet of fresh snow.

Here is the board in the fresh @ Hemlock.

https://vimeo.com/60228692

I really like it, but I'm a lightweight.

Gonna grab a 163 instead, it would suit me better.

TT

Edited by timmytard