Note to New Members ×

Torque wrench for Plate Bindings??

barryj

Make'em snug, check periodically, no worry ! What you see is called binding suck nothing to worry about unless you see the dimple change shape or size. Boards are laminates of glass wood metal epoxy etc. If you overtighten you run the risk of fracturing the bonds between these layers and weakening the laminate, undertightening and the parts slop around. My rule is snug not tight as you really don't want to deal with broken or stripped inserts. (inches of torque don't even get close to a pound of torque).

You should check with your board manu before using threadlock, most recommend against it.

I can see the red permanent creating problems (i.e. the inserts possibly spinning around), but I've never had a problem with the blue. On the the other hand, without it I've always had problems: either the bolt come loose or I have to torque it more and the inserts getting sucked in...

But thanks for the heads up, though

Bolts can fracture from a low-torque just as easily as from a high torque. Bolt fatigue is extremely complex and sometimes non-intuitive. If you're going to run very low torques, consider changing them every couple of years to be sure.

I snug mine up pretty tight with a T-handle wrench. No idea what that is on a torque wrench. ;) Seeing the SES demo tent board swaps changed my thoughts on acceptable torque, they snug them up tighter than I ever had before.

For the TD2/TD3, you can feel once the E-ring has compressed and the center disc touches the board - the torque/rotation curve ramps up quickly. I go probably 1/8th turn past that point. It's very important to get that center disc in firm contact with the board!

Edited by corey_dyck

I can see the red permanent creating problems (i.e. the inserts possibly spinning around), but I've never had a problem with the blue. On the the other hand, without it I've always had problems: either the bolt come loose or I have to torque it more and the inserts getting sucked in...

But thanks for the heads up, though

Maybe Fin's opinion has changed since 2004 when he wrote this: post

i think "thread lock" by definition is not supposed to be removable, there are different company who make thread lock, "loctite" is a brand of thread locker and they have the blue kind (removable) and the red kind (permanent)

maybe they just use different name for the same thing or the same name for different things but here is what Fin said in that particular post

We do use Loc-tite #242 (blue) on the threads of the Shoulder Bolt and don't forget, a little grease on the shoulder makes the action nice and smooth.

We DO NOT recommend thread lock on the screws into the board.

brand new Td3 come with blue loctite on their center disc screws

Edited by carvingchef