Note to New Members ×

Boot Sizing! Is My Math Right?

barryj

OK.....thinking of new boots. I'm looking in the right spot on my Suzukas, it says:

So I'm wearing a 29.5 and looking at the size on the liner it also says 29.5

I did the BOL foot measurement and my 11.2 inch foot X 2.54 = 28.448 mondo

I did the shell test on my suzukas and I can get more than two fingers back there...but not quite three.

That seems right as I really have to crank down on the arch strap to keep my heels down.....so all this logic says I should go with a size.... 29? or a 28.5? FYI:Half sizes are available from the Blue Tomato) What do you guys say??

Edited by barryj

You need a M28 boot. Period. The shell test is actually the best test of this. If you are over two fingers, your shell is too big. 90% of boot issues are people with shells too big. They feel great when you get them but then problems arise as you use them.

Boots at best come in whole sizes, if they are rated a half size it is just the liner they change. That is why all our boots are with Thermoflex liners. So our M28 boots works for M28 to M28.5. Make sense?

Edited by fin
  • Like 1

WoW! Thanks for that definitive answer <o:p></o:p>Fin! What's the difference from the 700 and the 700T?

If you're looking at Blue Tomato, 700T has a thermoflex liner (and comes only in whole sizes, just like here on Bomber) and 700 has a standard liner (the shell comes in whole sizes, but the standard liner comes in half sizes)

When you measure your foot, make sure it is in an athletic, arched position rather than flat on the floor- especially if you have flat feet, doubly so if you use a footbed in your boots.

I measure almost 27 flat on the floor... mid-25's with feet on my footbeds... fit quite comfortably into a 25 Track 700 shell, and I could make a 24 work if I really wanted to. (size 25 works better with Sidewinder bindings than 24, more bias options when setting up... so I am not motivated to go to a 24 in the least)

Unless you are a seasoned veteran who has access to several standard liner sizes to actually try on, you are probably better off with Thernoflex, as there's a lot more customization you can do just by molding the liner.

And, a shameless plug for buying them from Bomber... on the off chance you order the wrong size and have to exchange them, its a helluva lot cheaper to ship a pair of boots to Colorado from Squaw, than to Austria!

Edited by Mike T

Thanks Michelle, Thats the directions I followed to start this thread

MikeT - with all this input I doubt I'll get a wrong size, but Blue Tomato is over $200 cheaper even with the shipping...so even if I need to send them back I'll still come out ahead. BOL will get my business for BTS

Question? - I love my Suzuka Liners with the hard plate tongue - So on a scale of 1 -10, 1 being you noticed no difference in performance and 10 being OMG/Can't believe the difference! HOW much better is Thermoflex over Standard liner?

Thanks Michelle, Thats the directions I followed to start this thread

MikeT - with all this input I doubt I'll get a wrong size, but Blue Tomato is over $200 cheaper even with the shipping...so even if I need to send them back I'll still come out ahead. BOL will get my business for BTS

Question? - I love my Suzuka Liners with the hard plate tongue - So on a scale of 1 -10, 1 being you noticed no difference in performance and 10 being OMG/Can't believe the difference! HOW much better is Thermoflex over Standard liner?

Considering that the standard ones hurt my feet like hell, 10.