Note to New Members ×

Name Your Top 5 Performance Improvements to Your Riding

barryj

This is a really good topic. Yeah Barryj!

For me, the first thing was having the luck to start young. When you get to do something for a lifetime, it puts you on a fun sort of autopilot for most of what comes at you. Hairy **** notwithstanding, of course.

Being in real mountains with real snow would be next. If you can't start at 13, you can do this at anytime. As long as you're willing to take a big step back in other responsibilities pretty much everybody thinks are important, you're good.

The People. They were all awesome. Thanks!

Technically in Carving? That the back foot would be only slightly less angled than the front. I've been chasing an old hardboot, high-angle heelturn of mine in a low-angle freeride / freestyle stance since 1999, when I did my last day in hardboots. I'm starting to become discouraged and suspect it may not be possible.

Technically in Freeriding? No bindings!

There's so many good words in this thread. It's super entertaining and really worth reading from start to finish.

Edited by Rob Stevens

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. My buddies, who brought me to snowboarding in 1993, were snowboard instructors and carving maniacs. I could learn it properly from scratch.

2. I started together with a friend and my brother. We had a kind of a competition from day 1 and it is still going on. (i was the slowest to learn but no need to say that I have outrun them for lightyears :) )

3. In 1997 passed two consecutive 8 days trainings for instructors - back then it was very alpine focussed. This has given me the theoretical background and the training to translate any situation on the terrain into snowboarding - regardless of styles and techniques.

4. in 1998 had a long weekend's training with a trainer for blind skiers. That was an eye opener - literally.

5. After alpine was deemed dead, getting in touch with great people through internet communities like FB, BOL and EC. This has very much opened up my riding after years of doing my "own" stuff. That was around 2005 and 2006.

I'll let Kevin know that his book made a top 5 performance improvement list. He will be really excited that it has helped. That is the whole reason for him writing/illustrating it.

Ink

Do. It helped me really understand movement, but not just for snowboarding, but as a WW kayak Instructor Trainer (at the time) it opened up a new way to see movement.

Edited by BobD

1 - Going to ECES. I was exposed to upper levels of riding, equipment and drinking that I'd never seen before.

2 - finding BOL. I've been on here since the old forum and have learned soooo much from this site

3 - moving out west. riding my hardboot setup anywhere and everywhere, on and off piste, made me a more rounded snowboarder

4 - moving back east and finding out that my west coast experience meant nothing on ice - east coast is where I was able to dial a lot of things in.

5 - always having a season pass, always being close to a ski lift. I go out for one run sometimes just for the hell of it.

1. Finding the one coach who stopped coaching for a day and just watched. Sean MacCarron Fixed my stance and allowed me to stop focusing on technique and just ride. The most important lesson I learned is that everyone is different and generic rules about stance have absolutely no place in snowboarding or carving.

2. Forcing myself to ride boards that were well outside my comfort zone.

3. Riding a plate.

1st, meeting Carvefather and TonyZ at first ECES

2nd, spending time with Eric Brammer

3rd, sharing a place with Alex and Steph for a season.

4th, trying Dave Morgans Coiler at Pico 2003, ordered one when I got home

5th, going DOWN a size in my boots after 10 years

As TB indicated, the People I have been lucky enough to spend time with have been the Ultimate Game changers.