Note to New Members ×

Leash for snowboard

Guest ibsailn

I still use the default Burton leash that came with my Performance bindings. I have it attached to the rear bail and it is kept low on the bail by a very small aluminium strip folded over and held by a screw and a nut. I'll see if I can scan it (I don't have a digital camera).

I understand the leash is for the safety. Your board can transform into a missile if you unhook your boots from the bindings (some say it may happen while on the chair ) and "lose" your grip on it in the middle of the slope.

But except for the first days of a beginner on a (any)snowboard, I never really saw the need for it. It's just there.

Originally posted by kamran

I understand the leash is for the safety. Your board can transform into a missile if you unhook your boots from the bindings (some say it may happen while on the chair ) and "lose" your grip on it in the middle of the slope.

But except for the first days of a beginner on a (any)snowboard, I never really saw the need for it. It's just there.

I have never found a NEED for a leash which is why I use the one I do it's made of 1" webing, a dogleash type clip and a shoelace...not strong it just meets the requirement. That the requirement exists is a topic that has been much debated here.

I used to wonder about the merits of a leash until last year when my board disengaged from my boot while riding the lift. It was hooked into a pair of regular Bombers and I was attempting to knock snow from my front boot. I'm still not sure exactly where I hit it to make it release but release it did! Fortunately I had a strap and it held. I was unable to place my boot back in the binding so the lift had to be stopped when I got off.

I also had a board take off once when I was doing an on mountain adjustment. Fortunately again, it didn't hit anyone but man that thing was moving like a raped ape!

I'd say leashes are a good thing. Mine's just a short little thing that connects from my boot strap to one of the bails on the binding. You can hardly see it.

I certainly think they can be helpful at times...heck my PJ released on me once getting on a lift...they just sent it up a few chairs back and no one said anything! I was actually pretty surprised!

had a buddy lose a 210 ski once at steamboat...thing was ROCKETING toward a crowded lift line...I made the perfect diving save as it went by. If that would have hit people it would have done damage without a question.

I was martyred with a sprained thumb and the tourists in the lift line were none the wiser:)

Originally posted by Miguel

...man that thing was moving like a raped ape!

Just quoting that line because I like it. :)

I have a home-made leash which I made from some cordura webbing, and velcro. It attaches to my front bail, and to my front leg just under my knee. It's long enough so that I can carry the board with the leash still attached to my leg, but I rarely do this.

The main benefit is that it makes a comfy carrying strap. The walk from the carpark is so much easier with my board slung over my shoulder and both hands free to carry other stuff, like my daughter's skis.

If you have a long leash that attaches to your leg, take the leg part and clip it around the front bail of the back binding, then you can carry your board like a packsack with one strap. It works great for me. I was wondering really, what would happen if you rip out your inserts, what holds the board from getting away?

I have never had a release, but have pulled inserts out. On the front foot too. Man was I lucky, I didnt break something. Pretty scary when you look back on it.

I use the Bomber leash that came with my TD1s. The short part attaches to the hole in the front toe clip, and the long part attaches to my top boot strap. To keep it from flapping around, I just run the long part underneath the lower leg strap and the upper foot strap.

Aside from the obvious, the leash serves two very useful purposes. The first is that I can use the leash to very easily pull up the toeclip. The second is that it makes carrying the boots much easier, because I can take the short part off of the toe clip and put it on my other boot, then attach them together and use the leash as a carrying strap.

Originally posted by Miguel

How do you take lines from someone else's post and put them in your own, in order to respond to their question?

hit the "quote" button right next to the "edit" button. see it down there to the right? above "reply?" you can edit the text too but dont mess with the html tags unless you know what youre doin

Originally posted by mirror70

I use the Bomber leash that came with my TD1s. The short part attaches to the hole in the front toe clip, and the long part attaches to my top boot strap. To keep it from flapping around, I just run the long part underneath the lower leg strap and the upper foot strap.

Aside from the obvious, the leash serves two very useful purposes. The first is that I can use the leash to very easily pull up the toeclip. The second is that it makes carrying the boots much easier, because I can take the short part off of the toe clip and put it on my other boot, then attach them together and use the leash as a carrying strap.

I am not sure if that is a good idea. if you snag your leash riding in the trees or something, you will loose your front foot and possibly break your back leg.

I would recomend moving it down to the bail, that way if you snag it on something, you won't open your clip.

If you like it that way, keep it. I am just looking at it from a safety angle.

Remember kids, it's only a game untill someone gets hurt, then it's a sport.

Originally posted by Fleaman

I am not sure if that is a good idea. if you snag your leash riding in the trees or something, you will loose your front foot and possibly break your back leg.

I do see how that could be a problem, but I don't ride trees, so that's not much of a concern for me. For on-piste riding I don't think there is much danger, because it takes a pull in a very specific direction for the clip to come up, and I don't foresee anything on a groomed trail being able to reach up and over my boot like that to snag the leash.