Note to New Members ×

Back Again Carving After Over Decade - Leichtenstein (Swiss Alps)

CTS-V

Well....needless to say....I have not be on a board and carved since 2000....and DAMN does it feel amazing to be back on deck!

I use to be a snowboard instructor in college at Peak 'n Peek and Cockaigne in Western New York until I blew my shoulder out in the early winter of 2000 carving. After 8 months in a sling...and a year in therapy....I just gave up on the sport for fear of future injuries.

Well....just recently...I got engaged....and my fiancé asked if I'd teach her to ski. I was a little hesitant....but I said okay. I was just going to rent skis at Malbun....but a few hours before we drove to the Alps (I live near Frankfurt, Germany)....I decided to dig out my old snowboard gear.

Well....the rest is history! Enjoy the pics...and the quick GoPro vids I made. I'm back in the game...and I can't believe I haven't ridden for almost 12 years!

I just found this forum last nite....and all I can say is that you guys are AMAZING! Keep up the great work...and I'm looking forward to getting back into the sport, getting to know the forum & learning from all of you guys!

BTW...I'm in the market for some new boots...since the pair I have are shot (Burton Reactors circa 1998)....any suggestions?

Malbun, Liechtenstein

Malbun_2_document-small_medium.png

Malbun_3_document-small_medium.png

IMG_1705_web-large_medium.jpg

Malbun_4_document-small_medium.png

A few of my old decks.....

Malbun_5_document-small_medium.png

A few vids....watch in HD...and turn up the volume for some cheesy German pop music!:biggthump

Kick ass!

Carver's Paradise is somewhere in your neck of the woods (on a global scale).

I'm sure you could find some boots that treat your feet well through those guys.

Remo from Pure Boarding also lives in Leichtenstein If you're looking for some riders to hook up with.

Glad you're back out. Looks like it was a beautiful day!:1luvu:

Kick ass!

Carver's Paradise is somewhere in your neck of the woods (on a global scale).

I'm sure you could find some boots that treat your feet well through those guys.

Remo from Pure Boarding also lives in Leichtenstein If you're looking for some riders to hook up with.

Glad you're back out. Looks like it was a beautiful day!:1luvu:

No doubt...it was three days of PURE sunshine and nice packed powder...not a cloud in the sky!

Thanks for the hookup w/Remo...btw...is he on this forum?

Here's a few more pics from the trip I just got off my camera....

Malbun_7_document-small_medium.png

Malbun_6_document-small_medium.png

Malbun_1_desktop4_medium.png

so THAT's where all the snow is!!

Congrats on getting back into it and on your engagement! Great pics.

Thanks to everyone for the shout out the engagement....I showed the thread to my fiancé and she was super amazed and impressed on how nice everyone is on here. Kuddos to you guys for running a great friendly forum and being such a tight-knit group! Bad-Ass!

I like your handle, I take it you drive a V? Must be a rare sight over there in Europe. Hopefully it's a stick?:D

Thanks again....there are only two that I know of here over in Germany...and YES...it's a stick! :eplus2:

Here's a few pics of the V and some vids on the AutoBahn and the NurburgRing....

ring30_desktop5_medium.png

Black_CTSV_Webstie_desktop5_medium.png

getattachmentaspx_original_medium.jpg

getattachment30aspx_document-small_medium.jpg

Damn!!! LIFE IS GOOD!!! Great gal, car, location, AND you found BOMBER!!!

Still riding the Wombats?

On your list:

Bomber TD3 SW

Head Pro Boots

Virus Snowboard

You ride well and with allot of energy, seek out some of the local riders and have some fun!!! Welcome to Bomber Roz.

Damn!!! LIFE IS GOOD!!! Great gal, car, location, AND you found BOMBER!!!

Still riding the Wombats?

On your list:

Bomber TD3 SW

Head Pro Boots

Virus Snowboard

You ride well and with allot of energy, seek out some of the local riders and have some fun!!! Welcome to Bomber Roz.

No doubt on the Wombats....rode'em this past weekend.....great simple plate as you know...love'em!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quick question....just found a shop about an hour from me that sells Virus boots, boards and bindings.

Good idea to go with an all Virus set-up? If so...what should I go with.....thanks guys!

Virus boots are UPZ which are excellent carving boots, assuming they work with your foot shape. It's always nice to be able to try a boot on in the shop to test fitment correctly. Generally speaking UPZ fit a narrower heel and a wider forefoot. They have very natural but supportive flex fore and aft, but are somewhat stiff laterally. Great boots.

Many people (myself included) detest the liners that the UPZ boots come with, and so you may want to go with a different liner (at additional expense). I love the Dalbello Gold ID liner.

The jury is out on the Virus Powerlock bindings. There are lots of different opinions on which binding works best, and a lot of it is personal taste. See this thread:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30865

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with a Virus snowboard. I would maybe talk to Frank first just to determine which boards are going to suit you best, as there are a wide range of characteristics to select from.

Good luck!

Hopefully the shop has some options.

Buy the high end boots that FIT

Bomber TD3 SI would give you a flexier fit , yet burly.

I am sure the Virus bindings are more than adequate coming from vintage gear.

The boards will blow you away!!! Fact.

Boots, get what fits.

Money is no object? Just by the best they have.

That Caddy must put a surprised look on the faces of some M and AMG owners around town?:cool:

It does....what's funny is when I goto the Nurburgring....the Caddy attracts more attention than the Porsches, Bentleys, Lambos & Ferraris! Gotta love Detroit Muscle!;)

BTW....the M's and AMG owners have a lot of respect for the CTS-V.....great groups of car guys over here!

Hopefully the shop has some options.

Buy the high end boots that FIT

Bomber TD3 SI would give you a flexier fit , yet burly.

I am sure the Virus bindings are more than adequate coming from vintage gear.

The boards will blow you away!!! Fact.

Boots, get what fits.

Money is no object? Just by the best they have.

Thanks to everyone for all the inputs!

Gonna hit Malbun again this weekend after I get off work.....get a rental car on Friday and drive up starting at 3am on Saturday for a two-day session!

I got the fiancé hooked on skiing....so it's a win-win for us!

• 2 weeks later...

We hit Malbun again this past weekend....23 inches of snow the nite before we got there. Check out the vid below.....more clowning than riding......but fun nonetheless.

Also....headed back to the States this weekend...I have some work stuff in Texas for a week and then headed to Springfield, Il to meet up with my fiancé. Quick question...are there any good shops in the St Louis/Springfield area to get my fiancé a decent ski set-up?

Also...and hardboard shops in the area? Thanks guys....