Note to New Members ×

starting on hard boots for a beginner?

kamran

My gf wants to start snowboarding and she already had one day on a rental soft setup. As we are looking to buy an affordable soft setup for her, I was thinking maybe she should start with (soft) hardboots on an allmountain board (something with soft flex).

Is that a bad idea for a total beginner? what are con's and pro's?

p.s. she is size 7, what would be the mondo size? (she is not around till end of the week, so I can't measure her feet in cm)

I wouldnt buy boots until Id measured her feet

me personally, I almost think a (softer) hardboot setup and a softer flex carver would be a better setup than a soft setup

EXCEPT...beginners tend to forget to keep the downhill side UP, and it seems easier to do quickly in soft boots (basically just flex your ankle in to lift toes)

dunno...Im curious about this myself as my girl has never been in hardboots and is still a beginner on a soft setup IMO

I think that it's easier to learn on a soft setup and it's usually also more comfortable.

But I also heard arguments that if you start on a hardboot setup then you have more control over the board and that would make it easier (only heard that back in Europe when we tried to rent a setup for a beginner).

Hagen.

Guest thomas_m
Originally posted by Hagen

I think that it's easier to learn on a soft setup and it's usually also more comfortable.

Counter example - my total beginner wife Mitsuko started on soft boots and threatened to quit boarding becasue they hurt her (screwed up from tennis)feet so much.

Got her a pair of Raichle closeouts from Bomber late last year, went to a bootfitter for footbeds and a little bit of strategic stretching over her problem spot and now she rides all day in comfort, won't go near her softboots.

Depending on your GF's weight, finding a board can be the problem. It's hard to find a production board, especially an all-mountain that isn't too stiff without shelling out some serious $$ which you probably don't want to do until she's firmly hooked.

T.

there is always a but, I have found that smaller people especially women can actually use boards outside their intended purpose quite easilly...sure finding an AM Alpine type board for 5'1" 100# woman is difficult but for her plates on a freeride/AM type board probably has enough stiffnessand would serve the same purpose. My wife, all 5'4" of her (I don't have a death wish so you don't get her weight) rides 140cm mens shaped skis, she's small enough that they work fine for her. Yes it's ski's but the same qualities apply...my plan is to put her on a small SL board next year and hopefully she will meke a good transition to boarding and we can do away with the 2 plank thing:D

Measure her foot (outline on paper should work just fine) and wipe out the ruler. Round down if you go for raichels. The SB413 or Lemans should be good choices. I believe www.startingate.net has a cheaper price on the the Lemans if you want to go retail.

An wider board (for her boot length) is IMHO a must to allow for lower angles. Then again, she may have no problem jumping to higher degrees.

Guest Randy S.

Both my kids have been riding hard setups from day one. If it works for a 60lb 9 year-old, it should work for a full-grown woman. They love it. Oh, and they never got any crap about thier equipment from their instructors (might have had something to do with the fact that I dropped them at their lesson wearing my hard boots).

I suspect one of those pair of boots that Mark has might fit her Kamran. Give it a try. I also suspect that if you post a request over on Tahoecarvers, that you'll find someone with a board they'd lend you. I have an Alp that's pretty beat up you could use, and i may have a set of bindings that'll fit the 3-hole pattern. I can check this weekend. You'll probably want to give the Alp a basic tune and then de-tune the tip/tail.

had an article showing a cross-over skier making the transition to boarding using ski boots and plates on a all mountain board. I wish I'd taken a cue from that and not put up with years of soft boot misery! I did the ski boot thing for 2 years on and off. The total lack of foot pain was amazing. I wish I would of thought of popping loose the top buckles! I may never have bought Raichles, so I guess it was a good thing in the overall picture.

Thanks everybody, I had to show her the responses on this threat to convince her that hard setup is NOT the next step, but it might very well may be the FIRST step for snowboarding.

Her foot size seems to be 24. She is 5,7 (around 120 lbs) and she insists to get the shortest board available. she wants a 140 and I am trying to convince her to get a 150 with little luck so far.

Mark and Randy,

Thanks for the generous offer, I may actually take your offer and let her ride on those stuff for at least 1 day before we commit for a full purchase.

Kamran , here's another post to convince her. YES it can be done. I crossed over from skiing. My FIRST day of riding was on hardboots! And this was back in the day on Nordica 981 skiboots on an old K2 Gyrator the mountin had as a rental board. I was linking skidded turns by the end of the lesson. I am 6'3" and was 180 lbs at the time. I can't get out of my own way for most athletic activites, but I took to this sport like a fish to water, and I did it on hardboots from day 1!

Clearly it's possible to learn in either set-up. The root issue I think is perhaps:

"which is easier to learn in",

or even:

"which approach gets you where you want to be".

If your kids want to ride the park, then the choice is obvious.

If they want to ride the whole mountain, I'd say the same thing but my choice of gear would be different.

p

Originally posted by kamran

BUT, she doesn't wanna start snowboarding in hardboots. I am TRYING to convince her to do(e.g. by this thread):p

Hmm, PMA can be everything. If she doesn't want to start in hardboots and you coerce her into it, she may become determined not to enjoy it. I'd make a compromise with her and ask her to try day one in softies, and day two in hardies.