Note to New Members ×

what's the secret to how to get up after falling...

tjones

so.. new carver. I can tell i'm going to like this when i get all the kinks worked out... and I've tried to search the forums for a very basic question... turns out the search seems to either not be getting what i want or the search words are used too many times to actually produce a result....

in soft boot snow boarding the angles typically allow for either a heel side to squat to stand, or toe side to kneeling to standing. but i'm finding at higher hard boot angles, that these moves don't work well as the higher angles would absolutely torque my knees/ankles if you tried to kneel into the snow to get up. all i've managed to do is pound a fist into the snow near the lead foot, while reaching forward as if to grab the toe of the board, then straightening my legs so that i'm in the beginnings of forming a triangle (as if one was bending down to touch your toes) and tight rope walking to stand (if that makes sense)... it's hardly an elegant move, so I'm guessing there's just a trick of the trade i'm missing....

so the question would be, when you're inevitably in some position on the ground, what tricks do you use to right yourself again? and for now we'll say unstrapping, standing and strapping back in isn't an option as i haven't figured out how to strap in while standing without some serious support yet...

Always have an escape plan...it includes being off to the side of the trail.

Snapping in the rear binding while standing can be exhausting, grab onto something, not someone, and snap, or buy step-ins.

If you sit on the heel side do it on an incline, you can stand right up and go.

If you rest on your stomach just get on your knees and stand, yes your joints are not used to it but will accommodate the action with a bit of practice, being on an incline helps, if you stop on the flat and are on your heel side rock back and switch to toe side, it's really easy to get up from toe side.

Short boards are much more accommodating then long boards, it's a weight thing...

X2.

Definitely roll ove onto your toeside to get up. Just push up and go, you might have to slarve a turn to get back to your heelside if you rise up on your toes but definitely easier!

Also, with the steeper angles your knees will feel torqued, kneeling on your knees on your toe edge will compound the feeling. I usually lay on the snow toeside and then when your ready to roll just bend the knees and ride away. If you sit on your butt with the heel edge below you doesn't torue the knees but you run into that problem of standing up that you describe, walking on the tightrope with your hands.

If you are trying to ride a carving stick in soft snow conditions there are better alternatives out there. A wider waisted board, a Prior 4X4 or ATV come to mind where you can ride relaxed angles but still carve on the groom

heel side; Plant both poles just above the hips, pull up & go; in deep if the poles sink too deep I pop the back foot out (stepins rule)

toeside, push up & go, no issues

rode all day fri. w/out poles (forgot them) stopping mid slope truly sucks if there's no flat spot,

with poles I can stop in the middle of a double black run and stand comfortably:p

If you do end up sitting (from a fall or just taking a break), think of it more of "sitting" on your hip instead.... or making your hip the contact on the snow... I find that tends to keep everything aligned better.

+1!

I find that when sitting down to take a break it's better to sit on my hip rather than my butt. Making contact with my hip is much closer to correct body position for a heelside carve.

If I'm having a bad day, sometimes I like to go back to basics and work on body position by sitting on the snow with my forward hip, my body rotated into the turn as if I'm in a heelside carve.

I too like getting up on toeside the most, but there's a neat way to get up on the heelside too. A bit hard to explain: when you're sitting with your butt on the snow, put your back hand (e.g. right hand for regular stance riders) behind the boards tail. Lean your entire body onto that hand -- that will completely unweight your front foot, and put a lot of weight on the back foot, more weight over the tail. The board will bend, and start a gentle spin. With a bit of practice you can stand up while the board is beginning that spin and ride off in style :)

If you fall and you are sliding down the mountain on you back, use your board to drag you to a stand still with your head down the slope and roll over your shoulder into the toe side. That is the simplest way to get going again, I find. If you do that, it could even seem to be intentional :P

From a professional tumbler...:o...I try to always end up board down toe side as I'm falling, so usually as I'm falling/sliding, flip on my back rotate the board in the air (do a back flip on the ground if needed) and smash toe side edge down and with momentum still going, you're up again. Must look like an ass but it saves energy:freak3:

Suck your board up to your butt, set the edge, and stand up on it.

If you are fighting your knees its because your body is facing down (or up) hill. Rotate so that your body is in line with your bindings and it should be a pretty natural feeling maneuver. If you are pushing up with your arms and thrusting your hips your board is just to far out from your body mass. Bend you hips and knees and suck it in.

So the toeside trick works really well on flatter terrain. It is actually a lot easier to get up heelside when you're on something steeper because you don't have as far to push yourself from the hill to get upright.

Getting up heelside is very good to learn. Don't get stuck ONLY getting up toeside because there WILL be times where you can't flip, and like Mario said - it is good for your core.

I scrunch myself into a ball with my knees as close to my chest as I can, while pushing up with my front hand, which is behind me. In most cases, you should just be able to pop up and go. You can also do this: once you get part way up, reach down with your downhill hand (corresponding to your rear foot), and grab the board to give yourself some leverage and pull yourself up. You won't need to do this on steeper stuff, but on flatter/learning terrain it is helpful.

Also, like Jim said above - it should not be painful, so give us some insight on your stance/set up.

Also, getting up on your heelside works best if you are parallel with the board - just as if you were crouched in a carve. If you try to twist and face forward or do a squat, you'll screw yourself up. Huh - maybe that's why its hurting your knees? Think of getting up from a lunge while facing the tip of your board, while trying the tips I posted above instead of trying to face downhill and squat up like on softies! :biggthump

most of the advice you get from a man won't work; women have a lower COG (mostly) so the technique to get up on the heelside seems more problematic; I know my ex GF (carver) used to really have an issue getting up on the heelside side.

Obviously flipping around is one way.

Another is if you try to get into a bit of a ball; grab the edge of your board (or thereabouts) with your rear most hand, and this will get you into a more forward roll position, look across the board down the slope, and roll forward while also pushing up with your lead hand.

Seems to work for getting up, and once you know the position, then you don't need to grab no more.

What is your setup like? It shouldn't be uncomfortable at all, especially when getting up as it happens so frequently when learning.

all these tips will help a lot thanks guys... at the moment i'm suffering a little discomfort from what feels like my rear knee being pointed the wrong way (inside the stance rather than parallel or out in relation to the other knee)... this is likely a product of my right foot (rear) being uh... slightly mis aligned relative to the bending direction of my right knee... which is to say if i bend down (just normal, no bindings, straight out like a squat) the natural direction is very slightly to the inside of my foot on my right foot, but this is not the case of my left... this further complicates itself as i'm not knock kneed - my natural stance is with one foot slightly duck and my knees bend straight like normal with no discomfort lol.... on soft boot boards, riding duck 15/-15 makes my knees respond more like 15/0 i guess give or take which is why i haven't encountered this problem before...

staring and studying my stance a bit I think some lift or cant may solve that angle correction, it'll probably look really strange to anyone but it's my messed up leg, so i guess it's my solution. we'll see... unless anyone knows a better solution... i was laughing to myself thinking "well if i rode goofy, the angles would solve themselves pretty fast..." but yeah that's not happening. my brain hurts enough as it is riding like this... hehehe...

I'm riding a donek axxess, it seems reasonably wide... and i started angles in the 50s and eventually high 40s since it's not like i'm going to be doing crazy carves my first day up and it's better to sit and experiment rather than be stubborn about "the way it should be"....

all in all i still had a good day 1 i think... and in the end it's all for fun anyway hehehe..!