Note to New Members ×

I am NEVER buying a metal board again!

Flywalker

First day of the season. Custom Kessler. By mid day l was finding it hard to stick a heel side turn. Thought that, well, it's the beginning of the season and maybe l was tired.

Nope.

Bloody thing is bent up and twisted from the front binding. l am so totally p!ssed off. Give me old tech and a lively glass board any day. You can keep your metal.

Blasted off some shots. l have never uploaded onto BOL before so not sure how to do it. l'll put them on my photobucket and add a link.

There is a +2mm lift on the right side of the board compared to the left side when someone stands on the bindings and another measures how high the nose comes up on either side. The edge also leaves the floor sooner on the right side, measured from the front binding. If one places their fingers under both edges near the nose and alternately pulls up there is less resistance on the right side which would indicate that this side has been bent/twisted and therefore weakened.

Pics to follow...

http://s1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa459/Flywalker-1/

It was purchased used from another BOL'er last season otherwise l would. When l got it there was no problem at all nor was there throughout last season. I didn't get that many days on it... maybe 12-15 in total. The previous owner may have done even less as it was one of many boards in his quiver. I don't imagine any warranty will extend that far.

I saw that happen to a non-metal board years ago when my buddy ran it into a lift pole. It's hard to see the difference, or people THINK the difference is slight because it's just a few mm, but the board is almost impossible to ride because the flex is so messed up. Luckily it was an old race stock (Kildy I think) Prior, and Chris was nice enough to make a replacement at cost.

Send Hansjurg an e mail, you never know.

Join the club. You are not the only one that this has happened to. Yes those boards are great. But they just dont last. That is the problem with Titanal boards. A great, short life span. My front binding did the same thing. Ive seen this with other metal boards first hand. And never ever with non metal boards. I think its not just delam issues but moreover the useful lifespan of this design. They wear out quickly and lose their "snap" much sooner than glass based boards. Buyer beware of second hand metal boards. You just dont know how many days are left in them. After my first delam, I found another second hand full race board. No delam yet but I feel like it just doesnt have any power left in it. I have since put my faith in another new metal board from Canada. This will be my final effort and Im hoping this design will withstand my abuse (carving turns). The only other way I can see getting the most out of metal boards are to buy new, use for the season and sell in spring to someone else. But that wouldnt be very nice would it. Beware Flywalker, dont post too many photos of the damaged board or you could be censored or banned from BOL. Just wall mount that thing and buy a Donek.

this season.I think that after lots of metal demos at a couple of SES sessions and one glass custom(210 Diablo) along with owning several great glass nos and second hand boards,that I am finally ready to go metal.

My board will be made by someone whose boards have stood the durability test these past few seasons;and will be just plain badass in both performance and looks.

....Bloody thing is bent up and twisted from the front binding. l am so totally p!ssed off. Give me old tech and a lively glass board any day. You can keep your metal.

Sorry it happend :( Good thing you're ok and can continue having fun make more turns...:ices_ange

...Any boards sooner or later will give up and front binding most likely the weak point, here's all the reports; Bent or Broken

Cheers

RT

I dunno - this was always an issue with GS skis. If they had no metal they were squirrely and would either be way too soft or would throw you in the air on the transition, but if they had an Alu layer they'd bend because the metal can only go so far before it takes a set.

Always awful to see - I remember my all-time favorites, a pair of Kastle RX SG, with one tip pointing at my eyebrow. No fall, or crash, or even moguls, just a series of rolls taken at speed and one of them tweaked the nose.

I'd give Kessler a chance to do something for you though.

Yes those boards are great. But they just dont last. That is the problem with Titanal boards. A great, short life span.

...............................................................................................

Just wall mount that thing and buy a Donek.

They are great! I'm more than willing to except the reduced durability for the increased performance.

And yes, by all means, buy a Metal Donek, they rock.

My newest glass board has a similar problem. I thought I tweaked it when I dug the nose and crashed on its maiden voyage. From that point forward, I noticed the board rocked side to side when laid flat on the ground. To step back for a minute...it may have always done that, but I only noticed it after the mishap. I also can get up to a 2mm difference in the tip rise on one side depending on where (in my house) that I measure it.

Long story short, I'm starting to think that it's the base that isn't flat! It seems base high right where the effective edge begins. Obviously, if you can actually feel a difference in flex on your Kessler, it may be a lost cause. But it may be worth checking out. Good luck! Was this board used for racing? Always a risky way to go. I learned the hard way.

Hey Scrapster...

Yeah l moved the board around my floor and remeasured two or three times. There is definitely a difference. The most noticeable thing is the resistance when pulling up on one edge or the other. The board was a 171/22.5 cm custom model with a 10/14/12 VSR.

l hadn't used it for racing but was going to from the beginning of this season. Yesterday was the first day of the season and we(team members) were just having a free slide to get the cobwebs out.

Another member bent his Coiler AMT last weekend. They aren't immune, either.

man that sucks! specs on that deck looked sweet. would love something like that. i had similar sentiments to yours after my wcrm broke. given the lack of high stress events (that i could recall), i reconciled that failure with a construction deficiency of some sort, and not indicative of poor materials selection / implementation. i could be wrong. that said, i've also broken a couple glass boards (wcr & scoob's older donek), but perhaps i'm just a hack.

the kesslers seem to be fairly robust, however. i picked mine up pretty cheaply, and the gs deck has seen a fair bit of previous use (under a wc racer), so i haven't really pampered it. used them in end of season soft sploodge, as well as powder when i didn't have anything else with me. a couple weeks back in whistler i was carving some fresh cord and augured the nose fast & hard in an invisible soft spot (continuous cord, but a section of minimally compacted snow); huge eject, but the thing was unscathed.

anyways, it does seem that boards used for hard carving have relatively limited longevity. having never broken a board in the previous two decades of boarding prior getting into the carving thing it's a bit disconcerting.

All I know is I rode the krap out of my Oxess 163 took it out west Twice and I just looked at it again yesterday... NOT a fricken scratch on it or binding marks... What ever Marcel uses for that carbon top sheet,, its bullet proof..And something about those boards... they feel and cut through ice just as good if not better than my metal... Its good to have a board you don't have to baby... Metal is great but Im glad there are alternatives..:biggthump

post-186-141842350907_thumb.jpg

first glad you are ok.

I bought a new kessler last year and when looking into them I remember that the metal top sheet board seemed to be prone to breakage. thats not to say the newer ones wont have an issue but the deck is an amazing race board and I certainly hope I do not have the issue you have experienced.