Note to New Members ×

Copper Race to the Cup 11/15/11: Trappy Wins First Triple Format!

fin

Just came down the hill and wanted to get this up. Mike Trap (Trappy) just won the first triple slalom event at Copper mnt. today! A Bomber Sponsored rider using our plate and bindings (yes, we are very excited about this) :biggthump Congrats Trappy!

This is a brand new format that, from talking to all those there, was a hit. As someone watching it made for VERY exciting racing to watch.

I'll write more later, but we are heading back up the hill for the big party sponsored by Bomber and Donek. Sean took a bunch of photos as well and will be posting soon. These are from our crappy camera today:

post-1-141842349665_thumb.jpg

post-1-141842349667_thumb.jpg

post-1-14184234967_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics Fin!

Question: did the riders do a run on each course before moving on or was it one and done? That would be a lot of runs.

Wish I could have been there.

Ink

As far as I can understand it, the first run was elimination for the qualifiers. Three people went down, and whoever won moved to the finals. I the finals, three people went down and whoever won moved to the "winners circle" and the 2nd and third place went down again for the 4,5,6 places.

I'm not sure if that's right, because all day no one knew what was going on, even the coaches and the athletes! LOL I was totally clueless because I didn't have a start sheet, never knew who was coming when or what position everyone was in, and i was there! :p

FIS has a strict "Anti-Bruce" rule in place. This was a reaction to years complaints and a petition signed by about four people (including me).

Ink,

The triple format was excellent and effective. I talked to as many racers as I could last night at the party and they all liked it. This was a historic event of sort as it was the official test of this and there was even a representative of the FIS there to watch and observe. We should be seeing more of this.

Format:

• All racers get a two run qualifier, best single run counts
  • Take top 27 for finals
  • Start with 9 heats (three per race) to create 9 winners
  • Then go to 3 heats to create three winners
  • Final run and heat is 1st, second, and third all in one run.
  • You get to pick you lane by your qualifier spot.

And don't worry, I could here grumbling in the crowd talking about the mythical "DR" and what he would do if he was still here ;)

Congratulations Bomber & Donek & Trappy. The new formation looks very good.

All Mr Trapp now needs is some snowboard specific boots made by Bomber, not ski boots;). Just think if a bbp for soft boots creates a stir, wtf would a Bomber Hard Boot do.

I have started thinking now for the name competition to win a pair of 27.5's Bomber VLVGH.3 boots.

... is some snowboard specific boots made by Bomber, not ski boots;). Just think if a bbp for soft boots creates a stir, wtf would a Bomber Hard Boot do.
oh, for a segmented, multi-axis heel joint.

Enough distracting Fin with this talk of Bomber booties; he's got step-in Sidewinders to build.

BTW what is up with what looks like a custom anodizarion job on the Sidewinders in the third picture of post 3.

They are on the 180 Donek Rev with the Boiler Plate standing in the snow to the left of the frame.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=356404&postcount=3

Looks like gold toe levers (asian market levers) on a red base plate?

Must be Fin's personal ride?

Enough distracting Fin with this talk of Bomber booties; he's got step-in Sidewinders to build.

FFS step-ins and crabwise flex does not work. Its just a recognised thing. Why did Bomber introduce fore and aft flex in sidewiders? If you are too massive to clip in buy a boy:eplus2:

FFS step-ins and crabwise flex does not work. Its just a recognised thing. Why did Bomber introduce fore and aft flex in sidewiders? If you are too massive to clip in buy a boy:eplus2:

???

Not following your logic.

FFS - never seen this acronym. (Though I can think of a couple of things it might be) (never mind googled it :smashfrea)

It's not that lateral flex in a step-in does not work its more that the lateral flex in existing step-in bindings is non-existent due to their historical design. Flex in a standard binding comes from flex in the bails and binding baseplate. Half of the bails are eliminated in a step-in configuration and the heel receiver is fixed to the binding baseplate further eliminating flex. The sidewinder by design, engineers the flex point out of the bails and places it lower in the binding (in the heel and toe blocks). There shouldn't be any issue with a step-in Sidewinder, provided the same flex point can be maintained.

Bomber didn't introduce fore and aft flex in the Sidewinders they introduced lateral flex. Of course this depends on what you are using as a reference, the binding or the snowboard. Personally most fore and aft movement for me comes from ankle flex (boots).

Additionally Brian (old snowboards.com) jury rigged intec heels onto the sidewinders which worked fine. Also according to his posts Fin has a set of Sidewinder SI prototypes out there, but they are currently too expensive to put into production.

Dave