Note to New Members ×

Carving Magazine Update

alexgforce

The magazine is running at 100% + right now and it looks like we are going to meet the deadline that we have set. To start sales on the 15th of December. There is a website: www.carvingmag.com All the sales will take place through this web site. There is also a facebook page: carvingmag.

The contents of the magazine so far are the following:

- Intro. Craving the carve article by Jack Michaud (illustrated), foreword to the magazine by Jasey Anderson.

- Sessions. SES2011, World Carving Session 2011, Velvet 2011 (Russian EC session), Greece Carving session 2011, Carving Masters 2011.

- Community. Frozen Backdide, PureBoarding.

- Rider Profiles & Young Guns on hardboots.

- Company Profiles. Bomber, Kessler, Pogo, Boheme.

- Technique. Anatomy of a heelside turn.

- Science. Why Wax

- History. Portrait of a MADD man.

- Photobooks. Sean Martin, Steve Recsky, Christoph Burbach.

- Global market. A world map with what is where.

...and more

This will be definitely a hard copy magazine. 128 full color pages plus covers and the best printing quality we could get.

Quite honestly, I find this insane. You want to start publishing a niche magazine in print in this day and age? Dont take me wrong, I seriously impressed with the commitment, but I dont see this surviving unless it has a major backing from the race community.

Quite honestly, I find this insane. You want to start publishing a niche magazine in print in this day and age? Dont take me wrong, I seriously impressed with the commitment, but I dont see this surviving unless it has a major backing from the race community.

Hey benttech, I see your point to a degree. However, as this mag is targeting a niche market I see this as a huge advantage compared to putting out a run of the mill print mag on pop culture, music, fashion etc. The ones who want it, really want it and will buy it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ones behind this (alexgforce) are most likely doing this for the love of the sport and not for the big bucks that other popular mags brings in. A great example of this is Toyota 4WD Magazine that has a huge underground following. They promote smaller fabricators and companies and from what I remember, has been growing in readership over the last few years. What a great opportunity for companies like Bomber, Donek, Coiler...the list goes on. It's worth a shot though isn't it? I love to sit down with a coffee and flip through pages and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It'll be interesting to see what happens though. I'm in :D

Very True!

This is one of those things that if you see it as a business move or as an investment you are never going to do it. But none of the people that are involved in the alpine snowboarding business and most of all the manufacturers do it for the profit. It is obvious that they love what they do. And so do we. It is all about making something about the sport that you love most and reaching people around the world that are equally passionate.

And here is the interesting thing. Indeed the project concentrates on a niche market. Lets suppose that we would do a magazine about a much bigger audience like music or sports cars. What would be the chance of being able to sell that all over the world?? Close to none!! With this we can reach everyone and everywhere as long as the quality of the product is as it should be for an annual publication. The good thing about this market, our market, is that although it is small you know where to find everyone.

But I am also curious about the success of this project regarding the acceptance of the magazine from the international community and the sales capacity. Not in terms of profit but in terms of covering he expenses.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I will keep you all posted.

Where do I type my credit card number?

I want something I can lend people when people raise their eyebrows because I say I'm a snowboarder. They think it's all baggy pants and aerial ballet, goes with skateboarding and acne. I'd like to show them it's something a bit more grown up. That said, if the focus really is on the yoof end of the market then I may be disappointed ;-)

I will be purchasing one.

Two things come to mind when I think of a Carving Mag.......

1/ I love my Kindle, but every now and then I like to read and touch a live book.

2/ When I was a nipper I was massively into rock climbing which introduced me to the mountains. One of my favorite reads (or more accurately looks) was a French magazine called Vertical. I could not read French but that did not stop me from looking and dreaming, engrossed in the magazine with awe inspired eyes. A couple of years later a friend and I hitch hiked to the Verdon Gorge (France) where we had the best time ever, climbing routes far beyond our capabilites. Even meeting ledgends like Lynn Hill.

Even if your Mag was written in Greek, I would be buying one as a picture speaks a thousand fine lines. A coffee table must for Alpine riders.

Good Luck

2/ When I was a nipper I was massively into rock climbing which introduced me to the mountains. One of my favorite reads (or more accurately looks) was a French magazine called Vertical. I could not read French but that did not stop me from looking and dreaming, engrossed in the magazine with awe inspired eyes.

Likewise, although in my case Isabelle Patissier may have had something to do with it too. Later I lived near a big indoor wall in Paris and, well, the demographic is different in France, which is nice.

I did answer your email. There will be no subscriptions. It is an annual publication and you will be able to buy directly from the website as soon as the magazine is out.

Currently we are looking for 15 of December if there is no delay from people that we expect stuff from to close down the issue. Mainly from Asia, Japan, etc. We are trying to put as much stuff as possible regarding the global carving scene which proved to be quite hard. It has been very difficult to find people to communicate there. Hopefully when the magazine is out we will be able to get more people involved in submitting material.

• 2 weeks later...

WE ARE ALMOST DONE!!!!

The issue is now officially closed and I am making the final tweaks. On Friday the magazine will be at the publisher and from then on........wait.

Here is an updated list of the contents:

- Intro. Craving the carve article by Jack Michaud (illustrated), foreword to the magazine by Jasey Anderson.

- Sessions. SES2011, World Carving Session 2011, Velvet 2011 (Russian EC session), Greece Carving session 2011, Carving Masters 2011.

- Community. Frozen Backdide, PureBoarding.

- Rider Profiles & Young Guns on hardboots.

- Company Profiles. Bomber, Kessler, Pogo, Boheme, SG, Apex, Snowboard Plate, Sense, Kaane, Carve Company.

- New Products. MK plates, ACCS for Deeluxe.

- Technique. Anatomy of a heelside turn.

- Science. Why Wax

- History. Portrait of a MADD man.

- Photobooks. Sean Martin, Steve Recsky, Christoph Burbach.

- Photography. An article about extreme sports photographer Loukas Hapsis with samples of his work.

- Nutrition. Carves Love Carbs an article by sport nutritionist Sofia Pantazi

- Go for it Ladystyle by Anna Von Boetticher

- SNBRD Racing. Alpine Racing Team from Poland.

...and more