Note to New Members ×

New hard-boot rider needs help...offering exchange.

blackfatmatt

I live in Mammoth. Years ago I saw a man carving meticulously down a groomed run, I stopped him and the bottom of the run and got the scoop about the carving community. I really want to try it this season, but have no idea where to start. I want to offer an exchange: Ill provide you a bed at my place in Mammoth for the weekend if you can perhaps let me borrow a carving board and give me some tips on the sport and what equipment I should buy.

-Matt matthewerobertson at hotmail.com

Matt,

That sounds like a deal I could get excited about. I need an excuse to exercise my new MVP pass anyway. I usually don't get down there until the spring, but I'll try to make a point of planning a weekend before then.

Do you have your own hard boots? I have plenty of spare boards, but not sure if you'd fit in my boots.

There are also a handful of regular mammoth carvers who may be better equipped to help you out.

I live in Mammoth. Years ago I saw a man carving meticulously down a groomed run, I stopped him and the bottom of the run and got the scoop about the carving community. I really want to try it this season, but have no idea where to start. I want to offer an exchange: Ill provide you a bed at my place in Mammoth for the weekend if you can perhaps let me borrow a carving board and give me some tips on the sport and what equipment I should buy.

-Matt matthewerobertson at hotmail.com

paging nekdut

Page responded!

I don't need a place to crash, but I would be glad to give some pointers from my meager experience and perhaps some equipment to share. What size boots do you wear and about how much do you weigh?

June has pretty prime carving terrain so you will often see more of us there.

WHOA! Thanks for all the quick responses! What a community!

nekdut: I wear a size 9.5 US, I noticed most hard-boots are measured in the UK sizing, is that right? Why is that? I weigh about 175 lbs.

Sinecure: Come on down man, anytime! I don't have my own hard-boots yet but is it true ski-boots can double as snowboarding hard-boots?

EXACTLY!! That is why the rider you met suggested you visit here!!:ices_ange

Curious. Many of us have ridden there. It would be fun if you could dig deep and provide some details. Type of board, colors, age, etc,etc.

Photos? Actual date? It would be fun to hear who was spreading the good word.

Welcome to Bomber!! Finally, what took you so long??

There are plenty of threads on here about ski boots used as hard boots. I'll let you do some searching and reading.

Boot sizes are the same as ski boots sizes - mondo sizing. In other words, measure your foot in cm and you've got your size, roughly.

I don't think I have any spare boots your size, but if you can figure that part out, I may have spare bindings and definitely have spare boards.

There are a handful of SoCal riders who are at Mammoth much more than me. I just bought an MVP because it was cheap(ish) and would pay for itself with about 10 days strung over the two seasons. I'd love to get down there when more of the mountain is open. Normally when I visit it's just the main stuff that runs in the spring. None of that lookers' left stuff down toward town. I've done car shuttles to Canyons and hiked to Avy Chutes, but it would be fun to ski it when there's more snow.

Matt, Welcome! I too have a few forgiving boards and extra bindings you are welcome to try. Have some mondo 26 boots available but that may be a little small for you. Between all of us from the SoCal BOL crew, we should be able to hook you up with something to try. As mentioned, many of us ride June and Mammoth so keep on eye on the SoCal Ride Board. Hope to see you on the mountain! Tom

Welcome to BOL!! You might be able to get a demo board to ride from Donek Snowboards (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), but you'll still need quality boots, preferably snowboard boots.

I'll be up to Mammoth quite a bit this season, giving my MVP a work out. Hopefully our paths will cross when I'm up there. I'll leave you a message here whenever I'm on my way up.

George

A place to stay, you say?? :1luvu:

Find out your mondo size and we can get you set up pretty quickly. I wear 8.5 US and my mondo is 25 (tight fit).

If you search the SoCal ride board threads from last year you'll see that there's always someone up there each weekend. We also hold our annual carving pow-wow at June Mtn in the spring. Keep an eye out for that!

Welcome BFM! I represent, along with a handful of others, The Wrightwood (Mt. High) crew. Offering up a place to crash anywhere near Mammy/June is the best way to make friends here. Hope you have room because we are coming, and we are bringing gear and knowledge!

:biggthump Oh yeah! Hey Lance, sounds like a visit to fellow BOL rider BFM is in order. Carpool to Mammy? Let me know.