Note to New Members ×

Toe warmers

Any chemistry people here? Are the little hand and toe warmers usually fueled and activated by oxygen?

When thinking about boots/liners/socks for this season I remembered an issue I was running into: I notice that when I put the warmers in my boots they are plenty warm (I just activated them/shaking/etc) but after maybe 30-60minutes they stop generating as much heat. My solution was to take them out of the boot (pain in the ass), shake them a bit more, and leave them exposed to the air for a minute or two. My reasoning being that I thought oxygen made them produce heat.

I guess it's a pretty sealed environment in the boots with a foot, sock and liner in there, so not much oxygen is flowing around in there. Does anyone have any ideas for how to keep these things warm, or know of any that don't require oxygen (if that's even possible?) Or am I just wrong here...

[i need this guy for my toes: :flamethro:flamethro oooo00oo that looks nice]

Hey Nick,

Riding in the U.P., often in sub zero conditions, these activated carbon warmers are essential. The problem is sweat. While they are designed to work in a low oxygen environment, toes get warm, sweat, they get wet, game over. I affix these to the bottom of my liner to solve that problem. Some folks I know affix to the top. In either case you now have hours of steady warmth, enough to feel your toes but not enough for additional sweat, plus they are a liner and sock layer away and less likely to get soaked.

While hunting I keep them sealed while hiking in, and only put them in my boots once the piggies start to get cold. Again trying to minimize sweat and keep dry, and warm.

Hope that helps

Alg,

That helps a lot, thank you. I think I could manage to put them UNDER the liner, but I think it would be too tricky to put them on top - I imagine them getting ripped off. I will try both methods. Maybe sweat is my issue...I didn't think of that.

Next time I see different brands I will grab a few of each and experiment.

Alg,

That helps a lot, thank you. I think I could manage to put them UNDER the liner, but I think it would be too tricky to put them on top -

That's the problem for sure. There is normally some space on top of your sock at the base of the toes. The adhesive on the pads works well, and they stay in place while putting boots on. The small movements as you tense and relax your toes while riding will move some air around the heat pad. Beside which, they are uncomfortable under the foot, even under the liner. But whatever works for you.

I used the chemical packs with pretty good success. The key is to let some air in the boot. Loosening the buckles and wiggling your feet to pump air in and out is enough. Note that there's a lag between doing this and the heat being generated. I did it on every lift ride in really cold weather.

I splurged on some Hotronics electric heaters - I'll never go back to the chemical packs again. The ability to turn them up or down as needed rocks, plus not having a bag of mystery powder in your already-cramped boot is nice.

Don't ever try the hand warmer packs in your boots. They need more air flow than the toe ones and they aren't designed to handle the stress inside a boot. One 'popped' and made a huge mess inside my boot.

you guys can fit warm packs into your boots?? once my foot is in, im cramped..have you tried using different socks?? try 100% wool..when your foot sweats and the sock gets wet, wool will still keep its warmth..thats the great thing about wool..it can be sopping wet and still keep you warm.plus, when you take your boots off for the drive home, the great smell of sweaty wool will remind you of the awesome day!!

I went with Thermic heaters a few seasons ago after fidl'n with heater packs.

I have found thin nylon, liner socks work best for me.

One trick I used with the disposable packs was to use two nylon socks on each foot and place the heat pack between the layered socks; usually on top of my toes. This method helped keep the pack in place when inserting into the boots.

http://www.rei.com/product/745511/hotronic-m4-foot-warmer

cory, like those? Damn...$240...they look like they'd get the job done, though.

"One trick I used with the disposable packs was to use two nylon socks on each foot and place the heat pack between the layered socks"

-Pat...this is seems like a good idea, since I usually use very thin socks anyways.

For me, cold feet was either caused by a crappy liner or just a far too thick ski sock. So if youve got a decent liner, its the socks. I mistakenly believed the thicker the sock the better, but all it did was impede blood flow and air circulation and if you have sweaty feet like me, it doesnt wick the moisture away, leading to even colder, soggier and smellier socks.

Then when I threw those heating packets into the equation and what I had was similar to you, burning hot boots for about an hour which then died out due to foot sweat.

Go with a thin to medium ski sock made from merino wool, a lot of manufacturers out there but theres smartwool, icebreaker, darn tough, wigwam... and see what works for you. I avoid any synthetic socks as they do not warm my feet at all and stink after a few hours. I only use a medium sock but heard of people wearing two thins, or starting out with thin socks and then later in the day or week move to medium socks as the liner packs out.

I've noticed that some people can just regulate their foot temperature better than others. I have friends that can comfortably ride the same boots in -40F and +32F with no problems. You have to ignore those people's opinions on the need (or not) for boot warmers when you're someone that gets cold feet easily.

http://www.rei.com/product/745511/hotronic-m4-foot-warmer

cory, like those? Damn...$240...they look like they'd get the job done, though

Those are the ones. I've heard excellent things about the Thermics too. I got mine for less than that, in Aspen of all places! ~$170 when using the 10% SES discount at Four Mountain Sports. Not cheap, but you're paying for the convenience and adjustabilty while riding.

From what I understand, the hand warmer packs are bags of sawdust, iron filings & salt. When exposed to oxygen the iron oxidizes and gives off heat. In a boot, once the oxygen is consumed, the process slows way down.

I've also seen a product that has a gel with a metal disk in it. Somehow, you snap the disk and the gel goes into an exothermic reaction. No oxygen needed. You reverse the reaction by heating in a microwave. Don't know how long or how hot this gets.

In order to put anything in my boots, I'd have to take something out. There's no room for anything more.