Note to New Members ×

Whats my next board ? Nidecker Proto to Old

dbmgreen

So i have a Nidecker Proto 168, and a pair of Raichle deeluxe boots.

Cant find the specs for the 168, but

<table border="0" height="1" width="500"><tbody><tr><td height="1" valign="top" width="80"> Lengths

(cm)

</td> <td height="1" valign="top" width="60"> Radius

(m)

</td> <td height="1" valign="top" width="100"> Side Cut

(mm)

252-195-247

263-207-258

</td> <td height="1" valign="top" width="120"> Rider Weight

(kg)

55-65

65-85

</td></tr></tbody></table>

large_nidecker_sb_18.jpg

Looking to update.

I have ridden since about 94 always in hard boots. Love the feel of a carve, but live down in Australia, and there is not a whole lot of room on our mountains. I'm 6'1" 190lbs

edit: my first board, was a mistral x59, rode that till it broke a couple of years ago.

Couldn't be bothered (maybe too old) to learn any sort of trick riding, so will stick with a forward stance. I ride a mix of groomed and all terrain (trees etc) mainly with skiers, not boarders.

So my questions are, is anyone familiar with this board above, and can suggest something that is similar on the market today.

Are there any soft boots that feel even close to hard boots? What are the UPZ ATBs like, can they be modded as step-ins? Or should I stick with my deelux's, which feel OK, but are a bit uncomfortable sometimes for no apparent reason.

One deciding factor will be shipping to Aus, there is absolutely no hard boot presence down here.

Yes, the ATB will take a standard step-in. can't comment on them compared to a softboot, as I'm only just this year buying a set to replace my T225s which worked pretty well as a softboot replacement.

In softies you might try a Burton Driver X, I had a pair at one point but gave up on them, as my opinion at the time was why have a boot that was pretending to be a hard boot when I actually have hard boots. Sorry I can't comment on other softboot bands.

Cheers,

Dave

Yes, the ATB will take a standard step-in. can't comment on them compared to a softboot, as I'm only just this year buying a set to replace my T225s which worked pretty well as a softboot replacement.

In softies you might try a Burton Driver X, I had a pair at one point but gave up on them, as my opinion at the time was why have a boot that was pretending to be a hard boot when I actually have hard boots. Sorry I can't comment on other softboot bands.

Cheers,

Dave

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the ATBs I dooo like the step in thing, being nearly 50 it makes life easy, also spending time on the mountain with Skiers they hate waiting for boarders...

I'll probly try and get a new board sorted first then get new boots.

Hey,

There's another Hardbooter called glen Mcintosh from Sydney, he rides f2 speedster with Burton race binding. He's good, he normally rides during the weekend and on the opposite side of the supertrail (btw, don't go to supertrail, way too icy), on a small 4 chair lift on upper mountain. He normally rides in Thredbo and if you're interested I can give you his contact details.

For shipping for the boards so far donek has the most reasonable price and he regularly gets orders from Aussie (myself included). Extremecarver guys and virus also ships to AU but with donek the shipping is around 80 bucks which is bloody cheap.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the ATBs I dooo like the step in thing, being nearly 50 it makes life easy, also spending time on the mountain with Skiers they hate waiting for boarders...

I'll probly try and get a new board sorted first then get new boots.

Ok like I said on another thread I'll throw up a new thread in the boot reviews section of the site when I get the boots in October. I can give initial impressions then but you'll have to wait until at least early December in the same thread before I can comment on how they ride.

I agree on the whole step-in thing, I'm a 6'2" 41 year old with the hamstrings of a guy 5'2" so I don't ride anything but step-ins. :D

Cheers

Dave

So i have a Nidecker Proto 168, and a pair of Raichle deeluxe boots.

Looking to update.

I have ridden since about 94 always in hard boots. Love the feel of a carve, but live down in Australia, and there is not a whole lot of room on our mountains. I'm 6'1" 190lbs

Couldn't be bothered (maybe too old) to learn any sort of trick riding, so will stick with a forward stance. I ride a mix of groomed and all terrain (trees etc) mainly with skiers, not boarders.

So my questions are, is anyone familiar with this board above, and can suggest something that is similar on the market today.

Are there any soft boots that feel even close to hard boots? What are the UPZ ATBs like, can they be modded as step-ins? Or should I stick with my deelux's, which feel OK, but are a bit uncomfortable sometimes for no apparent reason.

I'd think hard about the Coiler Schtubby, 12-14 turning radius, 168-173 length, titanal, excellent on ice, very easy to ride, custom made for your weight,likes pow to some extent, flick-able for all mt.

The Donek Axis metal also looks nice, I have a schtubby so I can say it's great, I don't have an axis so I can't compare them.

Stick with your deelux's, try some new innerboots and orthotics and a BTS system for forward lean tuning.

I'd think hard about the Coiler Schtubby, 12-14 turning radius, 168-173 length, titanal, excellent on ice, very easy to ride, custom made for your weight,likes pow to some extent, flick-able for all mt.

The Donek Axis metal also looks nice, I have a schtubby so I can say it's great, I don't have an axis so I can't compare them.

Stick with your deelux's, try some new innerboots and orthotics and a BTS system for forward lean tuning.

Hey thanks for that, will check out the Schtubby, was thinking about new inners, mine are a little worse for ware :)

Hey,

.......................he regularly gets orders from Aussie (myself included). Extremecarver guys and virus also ships to AU but with donek the shipping is around 80 bucks which is bloody cheap.

Hey where are you located / where do you ride? Did you get one of the cheap season passes?

Hi I'm located in WA (Karratha). Me and my mates from kalgoorlie usually go to nz for a week or two (plus japan or europe) but I'm planning two month trip to mount Hutt and roundhill near christchurch next year. I usually buy 5 day pass. Cheaper than Aussie ski fields and accommodation. Haven't been to the eastern states since 2009. How's the snow this season? I've heard you guys had a really good season, especially falls creek.

......How's the snow this season? I've heard you guys had a really good season, especially falls creek.

Man you are in the desert :) The snow was pretty good early, but is all but gone now, I had a good week in July and another in August, and then an average weekend in September, 17 odd days, not to bad.

I have newer generation of Proto (with pointier nose) - my favorite all-round freeride board! Discontinued now, but still can be found.

Other similar boards:

F2 SpeedX / ElDiablo / Vantage;

SG Cult (Both discontinued, still can be found);

Prior ATV;

Stuf Accelerator;

Kessler BX narrow

If willing to go a bit wider:

Donek Incline;

Steepwater Steep;

Most of BX boards;

Venture Storm or Zephyr, narrow

And narrower:

Donek Axxess

Coiler AMT (both of these can be ordered custom, wider)

Prior 4WD

Prior WCRM wide

Kessler SL

I have newer generation of Proto (with pointier nose) - my favorite all-round freeride board! Discontinued now, but still can be found.

Other similar boards:

F2 SpeedX / ElDiablo / Vantage;

SG Cult (Both discontinued, still can be found);

Prior ATV;

Stuf Accelerator;

Kessler BX narrow

I don't think I would want to go narrower, I have a new Hot Blast (Black) about 170? I've had a couple of runs on it, but I've never really found it that much fun compared to the Proto.

I like tie look of the prior to be honest, so I guess it gets down to ATV or 4WD, and the Schtubby looks good too.

• 7 months later...

OK So its my 50th bday in July, and my wife has just OK'd the purchase of a new board. :) Yay!! But what to get, do the recommendations from above still stand at the end of the northern season? I was leaning toward a schtubby....

OK So its my 50th bday in July, and my wife has just OK'd the purchase of a new board. :) Yay!! But what to get, do the recommendations from above still stand at the end of the northern season? I was leaning toward a schtubby....

Donek provides least expensive shipping and people seems to rave about Proteus and i have 170. I could sell my 170 Schtubby with 13m side cut made for 85kg guy and I bought used (~10 days) in excellent condition that I'm willing to part for $500 + shipping (I live in Karratha, Northwest WA, don't ask what I'm doing in the state with closest ski field some 2,000 miles away). You interested? I'm flying to Sydney in June so you can pick it up at the airport.

Edited by leeho730

I got it from the forum member called Hans from Holland. I was thinking of using this but since I got Proteus 170 I believe I really don't need it any more because the flex is very similar and I also need to thin the quiver. It's about three years old. I never used it. Less than 10 days, according to Hans. In quite good condition, metal construction. Stance is about 52.5-44.5cm.

About Karratha, yeah it's a big joke here. It's easier to go to Japan for snowboarding than to the Eastern states! I've got a job there so, but the rental here is becoming ridiculous. Can you imagine having lunch for 25 bucks?! Or having average three bedroom for 1,800 bucks a week for a rental.

Tell you what, you can try it before you buy :-) It's sitting in my ski pad in new Zealand at the moment but I'm frequently flying from Christchirch to Sydney, because I have to fly from Christchurch to Sydney, then to Perth, then to Karratha. Takes a whole day. You can ride it for a couple of days, then if you like it you can buy it from me and if you don't like it you can send it to one of me mates in Wollongong. I'm more than willing to help a fellow carver in Aussie so that you can make more informed decision. Or you're more than welcome to fly to Christchurch and try other stuffs, too :-)

Edited by leeho730

...........Can you imagine having lunch for 25 bucks?!..........
Yes I can, but I live on the north shore in Sydney :) ref: that f'n ranga prime minister of ours!

Hey thanks for the offer, I kinda think it would be great to get a new board, might open some dialogue with the manufacturers.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

So I ordered a new coiler 171 VSR AM from Bruce. Can't wait! Cant believe my first "NEW" board since my mistral X59 asym back in? A long time ago. god I must have still been in nappies :)

Back to Bruce, what a cool guy, very helpful through the whole process!

Good choice Dave, my 167 AM is my first choice most days for local stuff. It's just a freaking fun board. Once you learn to bend it it'll do scary tight turns, but is still pretty stable at higher speeds. If I were to somehow break mine I'd order an exact replacement immediately.

So I ordered a new coiler 171 VSR AM from Bruce. Can't wait!....

Take that new Coiler to see some reasonable snow!

The snow is starting to fall in NZ. First few cm is already on the fields and fields are planning to open in mid-late June. Best time for reliable snow is late July through August. Fly into Queenstown or Christchurch and ride either Cardrona or Mt Hutt for the best carving mountains.

There are a few Kiwis who hang out on Bomber, and all the carvers I've run into in NZ are a friendly bunch.

Or if you really want to splash out, try planning to come to SES in 2013. There was quite a contingent of Aussies and Kiwis in 2012. I had an unforgettable first SES!

SunSurfer

I did cardrona treblecone remarks and Mt Dobson a couple of years ago, there were a few staff at treblecone who ride hard boots, but didn't see anyone else. Would kill to get to SES, just not sure how to wrangle that one with the wife and child :-)

• 2 weeks later...