Note to New Members ×

Opinions on soft bindings

heroshmero

I'm finally forced to replace my beloved Clicker boot/binding setup (yes, I really do like Clicker bindings). I got some good input on the boot selection in this thread:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=34762

I'm hoping to get some input on bindings. I'm a big guy, 240 lbs with a 13 foot. I'm looking for something that will be supportive and durable. I'm not looking for "soft boot carving" bindings (I've got hard boots for that).

I'm attracted to the convenience factor of Flow, K2 Cinch and SP Fastec.

I've ruled out Cateks because of all the issues it seems people have with bad customer service.

Does anybody have any favorite bindings? Is the toe cap strap the way to go? Does the toe cap strap lead to more toe drag?

I really like the look of the SP Fastec Mountain Ltd (http://www.sp-united.com/bindings/mountain11/). Does anyone have any experience with these bindings? Does SP have any US distributors (doesn't appear that way on the SP website)?

Thanks.

Had 5 of us using Flows untill the 3 kids advanced to the point that in their opinion flows sucked. They claimed they got softer as you rode more so toe straps were the desired option. Still prefer the Flows on small hills and crowded unloading zones. With size 13 you have some serious leverage to deal with so i think the toe strap is a must for you.No issue with clearance since the toe cap is up on top of the boot more than the front. Good Luck!

I have used bindings with toe straps and I have used bindings with toe caps. I hated the toe straps because I had to crank the straps down so much my toes went numb. The toe caps, in my opinion, were more comfortable but I had less control.

I would say the Toe Caps are good for Holding your Toe Down but also for Holding the Heel of the boot from sliding forward... this is an advantage I noticed right away and appreciate... I am still a 3 strapper, however I often leave the Top Strap loose if I am not just focused on carving...such as in DEEP POW :D

I would have loved a 3 strap binder! As it was, once I got my first set of hard boots, I truly got introduced to comfort. My daughter switched from skis to a snowboard and I got her a set-up (K2 Luna, K2 bindings and K2 boots). The first thing she noticed-that torque-y feeling your strapped in foot gets on the lift....

If you like the convenience of the Flow style bindings, the new Gnu Mutant and Backdoor bindings look like an interesting tweak to the idea.

I'm finding many of the softboot bindings really "gadgety" these days, but I'm pretty happy with my Nidecker Act 1 Carbons (which I mentioned before), and Salomon Calibers.

Emailed SP last night and found out that they don't have any US distributors. But also found out that they are making their Fastec bindings for GNU. The same bindings that scrapster just said to look at.

The SP Mountain looks a bit nicer than the GNU Mutant but the exchange rate to buy the SP from Europe is prohibitive.

I got the Union Force MC last year and like them a lot. they are very light- lightest on the market according to Union. the have a carbon high back and a carbon toe ramp. They are not super stiff even with the carbon high back, but they are comfortable and stiffer than most of the other soft bindings out there. They are not easy entry like flows etc. The straps can be run cap style or over the toes.

• 1 month later...

I got my daughter some Roxy Fastec's this year, and am looking at the GNU Mutant's for myself. I have heard the top of the line FLOW'S are nice. I am currently riding on Ride EX bindings, not loving them so much because some of the screws don't tighten properly.

However, I ride a size 15 Boot, and the GNU's are rated 11-14 in the XL size. I have emailed them asking if a 15 could squeeze in, I am interested in other riders' experience with the GNU backdoor or Mutant bindings.

pre-NXT flows with carbon highbacks (C-XFR? or something like this) - gentle and powerfull support all around (if your boots is compatible - my northwaves is)

I ride in flows 5 years straight (FL-11FR, 99-04), not even SINGLE problem with over 70 days each season. now ride in flows (C-XFR?) and nidecker carbon 900, can highly recommend both (but now I'm mostly hardboot, ride softies less than 10 days per season, out of 50-80)

if you care about not leaving opened highback behind in liftlines or else - i cannot mind any fault with flow (top-models only, low-end is ultimate cheap ****)

I would recommend the 2011-12 Rome Targa. I rode them the last half of last winter. Bombproof binding (I usually get 150 days on them, then sell them on still looking/working great), one of the most adjustable on the market. Tha frame actually moves back along the baseplate for XL sizings and the excellent toestrap can be used conventially or as a capstrap. Definitely worth a look.

http://www.romesnowboards.com/bindings/targa/