Note to New Members ×

Early December Best Bets

scrapster

Best Bets for Early-Mid December Snow?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Best Bets for Early-Mid December Snow?

• Summit Co. Colorado
    • Grand Targhee, WY
    • Whistler, BC
    • Timberline @ Mt Hood
    • Other--Name it!

It's official, I have a rugrat on the way at end of January! :):eek: Obviously, the timing is a little off for enjoying winter on the slopes. (Though paternity leave may provide some interesting flexibility. ;))

Barring any unforeseen developments, I definitely plan to head west and do some riding before daddy-craziness breaks loose. Time to plan and buy tickets. Of the following locales (derived from folks' suggestions last year), which would be the best bet for early to mid-December snow worth traveling for?

Thanks! Feel free to suggest others.

Congrats on fatherhood, its a hoot! Loveland and ABasin are in full swing by then, and this last season so was everybody else. Most Summit County resorts were 80% + open with excellent coverage by early December. Summit would give you the best bang for the buck imho, try to come as early in December as you can to avoid the holiday squeeze.

Think Snow!

Utah would be my preferred choice, drier snow, fewer crowds, easier access, more choices. Fly into SLC, stay in town, use local transport to ride, no need to rent a car. SLC is a great town, lots to do, far nicer place to stay than Denver.

My daughter is moving to SLC to attend school, so come winter, SLC will become my home away from home :)

You can't predict the best snow any time of the year, I've had crap snow and knee deep pow at every place you listed, but early December is lacking in base so piste is about all you can expect.

I have to admit, Loveland is one of my fav places to ride :)

Loveland (but don't tell anyone I said so). Like DT says, it can get brutally cold (but you're having too much fun to know it) but at least it's WINDY.

Been doing it early Dec. (before the prices go up at resort & airlines) for the past 2 years and will probably do it again this year !

When I find a good thing, I stick with it. Just riding with LCI makes it worthwhile. Stay away from the Snowman, he'll have you trying to take down trees :D........

Sounds like I may have to reunite with my Jersey brethren. But doesn't Loveland suck? :eplus2:;)

And thanks for the congrats Snowman. I'm already thinking about what gear to buy the little guy--although I should probably be worrying about minor things like expensive strollers and daycare first.

Anyone have any experience with early season in Wyoming? Never explored that part of the country--Yellowstone, etc. Might be a nice two for one.

+1 on checking conditions before you book a trip. Last season was a record breaker for snowfall in Colorado. The season before was a waste of time in December. It varies a lot from year to year . You might pick out a few states as options and keep an eye on the the conditions to see how much base and acres of terrain will be open? The condiitions in Colorado might be poor but be good in Wyoming or Utah or Oregon? Last year I rode with a guy and his wife who came out to Colorado in Febuary because it was ice in Oregon. If I was spending money to fly out I would want to go where the best snow is if possible. Thanks to the internet you can check conditions at almost any resort.

Sounds like I may have to reunite with my Jersey brethren.

Watch out for that Jersey freek. All big mario does is fly around the mountain, taking perople out, listening to his favorite song:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lDK9QqIzhwk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

In the preseason Loveland sells 4-paks of tickets. Pricese are not listed for this coming season, but will likely be ~$130 for the four tickets. This is the lowest price you will find anywhere; in the past they would ship the tickets to you, as is you did not have to be present to purchase. Watch this link for info.

But doesn't Loveland suck? :eplus2:;)

as a matter of fact, yes, i does!

PS - yes, it's windy, and yes, it's typically cold, so, if you come out, pack accordingly

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Colorado it is! Airfare is just too damn good right now. Now I just have to balance my desire to ride as much as possible against the guilt of leaving a very pregnant wife behind and figure out how many days I'll be out there. I'm guessing three or four days, not counting travel.

Do five days, Scrapster! If your airfare was low, I assume you are going out on a friday or saturday? In any event, I always squeeze the fifth day in even if it's the day I fly out. Too many times to count I have been at Loveland for 1st chair on Thursday, the day I fly home (6 p.m. flight from Denver to Balt/D.C.). I peel myself away from the mountain at 2 p.m. (sharp) to get to car rental return by 4 and into the airport by 4:30. I've never come close to missing a flight.

Cool Dave. Good thoughts! Looks like I just missed my crazy-low fare ($150 round trip from the east coast). Probably for the better. It entailed a 3 hour drive from Boston and back. For not much more I can go out of Hartford and cut the driving time by 2/3rds. Hmm, squeezing in another morning?...

Silverthorne is very central to all the places you might go. I know, I live here!

However, Silverthorne is the "commercial" side of Summit County, lots of shopping and big hotels, but not the mnt. town feel of say Breck and Frisco. So not sure what you are looking for.

And you can swing by the Bomber shop here in town and take out enough demo gear to sink a battle ship :biggthump Come on by!

Thanks Fin! I'm definitely looking forward to meeting up with some of the local crew while I'm out there.

In terms of lodging, I'm pretty open. Reasonably-priced is preferred. Inns, small hotels, hostels, not too fancy B&B's are good. Having one or two decent local bars and restaurants around town would help. Low key is the key :biggthump

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/fall-winter-season-2011-12-opens-today/

September 30th, 2011

Fall/Winter Season 2011-12 Opens Today! See What’s New At Timberline…With another la Nina winter fast approaching, we are excited to share what’s new here at Timberline!

The 2011/2012 winter ski season kicks off the 75th anniversary of Timberline Lodge, originally dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on September 28, 1937. We will be celebrating this special anniversary season with promotional packages and special events throughout the season. We have designated the week of April 1st as Heritage Week, welcoming a delegation from the US Ski and Snowboard Hall of Fame, and the International Skiing Heritage Association, followed by daily special events celebrating our skiing heritage though the decades.