Note to New Members ×

Advice on gear for a new carver

Guest nuclearboarder

Guest nuclearboarder

Hi, Everyone!

I'm currently riding a softboot setup, but really enjoy carving, and would like to get into a hardboot setup to take it to the next level. I've already started to turn my bindings on my current board, and have been having a lot of success with that. I'm looking into boards from Donek, Prior and Coiler, and would like to order one, or find one used, near the end of this season. I'm a 5'7", 135 lb female, so I'm not really sure what lengths I should be looking at-- my current board is a stiff 154. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Welcome to BOL and the carving world.

I would focus on getting some good (barely used) hard boots or even new 413's from BOL ($150). A lot of us have extra boards for you to try, but boots and bindings should be your priority.

A friend of mine has a used Alp for sale (cheap), I have a 156cm Santa Cruz race board made for someone your weight that you could borrow, etc. You missed out on a super nice 159 Prior 4x4 about a week ago. Stuff being bought and sold everyday.

--Hugh

Originally posted by nuclearboarder

Hi, Everyone!

I'm currently riding a softboot setup, but really enjoy carving, and would like to get into a hardboot setup to take it to the next level. I've already started to turn my bindings on my current board, and have been having a lot of success with that. I'm looking into boards from Donek, Prior and Coiler, and would like to order one, or find one used, near the end of this season. I'm a 5'7", 135 lb female, so I'm not really sure what lengths I should be looking at-- my current board is a stiff 154. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Hi, I just started riding alpine last season. I'm 5'8" 150 lbs and I was riding a Burton Ultraprime 162, and I think a board like that would be good for you (the Alp Hugh mentioned is a little softer than the Ultraprime) - although I'm sure the other guys here and at www.tahoecarvers.com can give you better advice than me.

On the north shore, Randy has the "demo fleet" with a couple of extra boards, boots, and bindings. He rides Alpine Meadows mainly (has a super nice cabin which I just went to this last week, as my ski-lease at Kirkwood starts this weekend).

As I alluded to, a bunch of us ride at Kirkwood, so I'm sure you'll be able to find some of us to ride with if you ever drop by there as well. The official tahoecarver FRS radio frequency is 5-12. I shouldn't say "us" so as I'm only a part-time alpine rider myself - I still ride my Small Red Donek Incline 155 (this year with Catek Freerides) most of the time - although everyone is still working on converting me :]

--Arvin

I would highly recommend going to EBay and look for an Oxygen Proton 149 SL. I got a new one at the end of last season for $50.

I'm the same height and weight as Nuclearboarder and I love that board. Easy to turn and holds a good edge.

Go to this site http://www.raceboarders.com/ and click on the EBay link. It will do a search for alpine related snowboard gear.

Originally posted by alpinegirl

what's your boot size??

If you happen to be a size 25 MondoPoint (which dependong on your foot shape might work for a women's 8 - 9.5; I am a men's 8.5 and that's my size) and would like a 4-buckle boot as opposed to a 3-buckle boot, look into the 423's for sale here at the Bomber store (closeout item, only available in that one size). The advantage over the 413's is they come with a moldable Thermoflex liner, and they have more forward lean options. That's a boot that should be flexy enough for you to get started in but stiff enough so you could advance and progress in them.

Or if you have really small feet - the 225's on closeout would be a good pcikup for $50. They might be stiff so you could also buy a softer set of tongues.

Guest nuclearboarder

Thanks everyone for the advice-- I'll start looking on eBay and take a gander at tahoecarvers. I've got a season pass at Kirkwood, so I'm there most weekends as well.

As for boots, can you typically get them online? I'd definitely be looking to get new as opposed to used. I'm a 26 Mondo.

Thanks again!

Great to see another women wanting to join the hardbooters club. :) I'm currently putting together a few days of carving just for the ladies, and would like to extend the invite. See the post "All the ladies in the house". I know that your on the West Coast, but hey if were coming to the East, we'd love to have you join us.

One recommendation I will make about boards. Before you go spend the cash on a board, demo, demo, demo. This will help you get a better feel as to what characteristics you want in a board. I've got a Donek 163 FC1 that I am looking to sell, but again, I would recommend demo'ing other rides before you buy. Good luck to you, and if you ever get out to the East, send me an email, and maybe we can ride together.

Originally posted by nuclearboarder

As for boots, can you typically get them online? I'd definitely be looking to get new as opposed to used. I'm a 26 Mondo.

Yep - I think most of us get our boots online, many through this store.

BTW I'm a 26 in Salomon soft boots... but 25 in hard boots by Raichle/Deeluxe and Head. Perhaps you luck out and are a 25 as well... because those 423's are a bargain. The shell test is a good way to tell - maybe soeone at the mounatin will have 25's or 26's and you can do the test using their shells?!?

Guest nuclearboarder

Steph-- Thanks for the invite to the East. I won't be out any time soon (moved from RI to CA just 2 months ago, actually), but if I am, I'll try to find you! :)

Mike T-- I'm pretty sure I'll be a 26 regardless- my soft boots are a tight 26, and I've actually just started skiing, and those boots will be 26s as well. Unless Raichle runs really big-- the ski boots I'm ordering are Nordicas.

Guest Randy S.

Hey Nuke (what's your real name so we recognize you when we meet you?),

I'm the guy Arvin refers to as having a demo "fleet". Its not really a fleet, but you are welcome to try out any of the boards in my cabin (you probably don't want to try the 210 yet). I have some demo boots, but I don't think any are size 26. John K may have an old pair you could try though. I have some bindings we could rig up. Also, if you know you want to be into this sport, Elite Feet at Squaw Creek has one pair of head boots left for this season. They are size 26.

As you've already seen from this thread, board choice is a very personal thing, and there are tons of options. You can't go wrong with Donek or Coiler IMO. If you order a Coiler now, you will probably get it just in time for next season ;-).

Shoot me an email if you want to chat about this. I'm in Tahoe every weekend from now through April and I'm always psyched to help new people get into the sport. I don't get to Kirkwood very often, but I could probably bring you some equipment from my cabin on a Sunday (I drive through Dublin on my way home every weekend).

Randy

Hey Nuke.

I've got sz 25 Raichles that my wife used one run. She went down to 24s. Raichles do tend to run big, depending on your foot shape. I measure 29.3, but ride in 28s.

You're welcome to try them on and even take them for a spin if they fit you. I'll make you a really good deal.

I can arrange for a board and bindings as well. I'm in Redwood City and/or South Tahoe. We ride at Heavenly, but I could arrange to meet you elsewhere if necessary.

Mark

Originally posted by Mark.Andersen

Hey Nuke.

I've got sz 25 Raichles that my wife used one run. She went down to 24s. Raichles do tend to run big, depending on your foot shape. I measure 29.3, but ride in 28s.

You're welcome to try them on and even take them for a spin if they fit you. I'll make you a really good deal.

I can arrange for a board and bindings as well. I'm in Redwood City and/or South Tahoe. We ride at Heavenly, but I could arrange to meet you elsewhere if necessary.

Mark

Yea, I size size 7.5-8 boots and measure 25.5, but ride Raichle AF600 with a 24.5 shell . I have a pair of Oxygen Protons 25.0 which are a tiny bit smaller than the Raichles.

I ride boards roughly equal to the softboot boards I used to ride - the last three soft boards I had were 178, 171, 170, now I have a couple of 174s for carving. By today's standards those soft boards were a little long for a 6'0" rider... The 174s come up to my nose, how's that for a data point?

Something a little on the shorter side might be good when learning, but then again why get something you'll outgrow? You'll only be a novice for a little while, relative to the life of the board.

Look for a smaller sidecut, around 10m or less, so you don't have be going really fast to make the board turn. Most boards in your length range are going to have shorter sidecuts so that shouldn't be too hard to find.

The bomber store has, among others:

F2 Silberpfeil 162

Prior 4WD 159

Donek FC 163

I don't have firsthand experience with any of those but I've only heard good things about them.

Originally posted by NateW

The bomber store has, among others:

F2 Silberpfeil 162

Prior 4WD 159

Donek FC 163

The Donek FC 163 would IMHO be too stiff at your weight. But there is a huge list of custom models available at the same price, take a look at the Donek web site. Or better yet call them and talk to Sean, and se what he recommends.

Your life will be made easier by the fact that you aren't teeny-footed like my wife (Size 23 MP). It improves your selection dramatically.

The biggest mistake I see when people are starting to get into this sport is that they get their boots too big. Getting a boot that fits good is in my opnion the most important part of your set up. This becomes really hard when 99% of the equipment is only avaliable over the internet. My advise to you is to make sure of your shell size. Do you have custome insoles made for your ski boots? I just had a thought that if you had these you might be able to work something out with Fin (the guy behind this site) where you send him a insole and he could use this to base a shell fit off of. I've never have done this personally, and you would have to talk directly to Fin, but I think it could work. Good luck.