Note to New Members ×

"Carved"

Big D

It's 20 dollars for 7 minutes. Is the price worth it?

It's worth it if you meet the following criteria:

a) you are really interested in extremecarving technique;

b) you have a large (>40") full-hd tv with motion interpolation feature (eg. motionflow from sony).

Full-hd resolution + motion flow = win!

Perhaps I can give a somewhat informed guideline for deciding against the purchase. Devil's advocate. Whatever.

When I myself am riding, I'm not at all an EC enthusiast technique-wise, although I do love to watch it.

I purchased it at around the time it came out, so I don't really know what the extras are that we get besides the 7-minute video.

This may be kind of obvious, but I didn't really think it through, myself. The content is 7 minutes of what is actually much less than that 7 minutes of real riding time. The Red One camera records a purported (from a quick Google search) 120 fps. I'm being very rough with calculations, but I'm just trying to get a point across. Please forgive anything terribly fallacious; not trying to preach that you shouldn't buy the film, but there are things that probably would have made me decide against buying it had I realized them beforehand. Ultimately, that's just me being a college student and not really having my own money though. The footage really is beautiful. You can find the trailer if you snoop around on the actual site or search youtube. Just keep in mind that they have a few full-speed shots in the trailer, but the entirety of the actual film is played slo-mo.

Let's say that they want to take advantage of the 120 frames/sec by replaying the footage at a more human-readable 30 fps... In the end, you're showing only 1/4 of the actual riding time, turning out to be under 2 minutes.

I would have been happier if we had more footage (perhaps just make available all the raw footage as well) AND if we had access to all the same footage played at normal speed. Guess you could tell me to not be lazy and convert it myself, but I'm lazy. :)

FYI, the movie itself is 25fps, not 120. 120fps supposedly allow for clearer images. Would have loved to watch it 120fps, though. I agree that the riding time in the clip is actually much shorter, especially EC part.

Worth it if you're EC enthusiast, otherwise you can watch it on youtube.

Flegmatic carving videos are of high resolution (1440x1080) and they come with 20+ minutes video, good value! Haven't seen since 2009, though...

we're on slightly different wavelengths here, i think?

if anything, i was claiming the video to be 30 fps. 25 fps makes the true riding time even less than my original numbers :eplus2:, with the assumption that no frames were discarded during conversion to the final video that us purchasers are viewing.

the camera does in fact record up to 120 fps, which is what allows the film to be played in slow motion while not having "choppy" footage.

• 1 month later...

The actual raw footage ( without edit) we have shows most of the fps is less than 100 fps...Its true that watching the 100/120 fps sequences as they were recorded from the cam, with all details popping, all the smoothness of the slowmotion is somewhat mesmerizing. I reckon I would not have edited the movie like that...Maybe one day we'll use the raw sections ( much has not been edited / displayed in carved or elsewhere...).. I did the small Powder carving clip using just two of the unedited sequences from a white out dull day..We'll see what we can do in the future with them!

Anyway, its also a good witness of a time, of riders at their best levels, and will be there for the future of the sport. I doubt there will be many more occasions for Jacques and Patrice to shoot such HQ sequences....and needless to say, the later it happens, the less fit they will be ( everyone ages...).

Nils/Swoard

though pretty, the slowmo / arty pretensions gets boring quickly (as does ec, for that matter). would love to see some fast freecarving with some diversity (of terrain / snow / styles, etc). ie, something exciting & progressive that might be fun to watch for even those outside the sport. waiting for some hotshot younger racers to start mashing up allmountain / freeride w/ alpine & injecting some vitality & broader spectrum appeal to the sport.

yeah, something along those lines w/ modern technique & gear of course (wow, that flick is 17 years old) would be rad.

finding riders might be the trick though. i optimistically assume there's some progressive rippers out there, though perhaps i'm projecting what i like to believe is the next level potential of the sport - that has yet to be realized. we're a pretty geriatric group generally speaking.

yeah, something along those lines w/ modern technique & gear of course (wow, that flick is 17 years old) would be rad.

finding riders might be the trick though. i optimistically assume there's some progressive rippers out there, though perhaps i'm projecting what i like to believe is the next level potential of the sport - that has yet to be realized. we're a pretty geriatric group generally speaking.

I resemble that remark;

Finding progressive hardboot rippers isn't that hard, but getting them in the same place at the same time as a rippin' camera man in good conditions takes some effort.

A gang of monoskiers chasing down a hardbooter (all on modern gear) to make him put his stance back where it belongs sounds like a lot of fun:lol:

This quote motivated me to pop 3's off a lip into my favorite bump field today on my 210.Progressive is a relative term.Define please.How about airborn edge changes at 40mph,or air to switch toeside carves or carving up a tree?There are plenty of 'progressive carvers' out there and the video is coming.Can't wait to show the bomber community what I've been up to!