Note to New Members ×

USASA Nationals

ncermak

I know there will be a lot of racers and teams coming to Copper next week for Nationals, so you can imagine what it's like in my office!

If you can spread the word for the team/racers to give me a heads up that they are coming, that would help us a lot. To have 3 teams at once come in to rent gear, get gear fixed, or want a tour of the shop is complete chaos. A phone call or better email with a date and approximate time (ex, afternoon after 2) helps me to spread people out a bit. EVERYONE trains in the morning, and wants to come by in the afternoon.

Also, as a reminder we are not open Sat, Sun, or Mon. However, Nationals week we can be open if you make an appointment first! We definitely want to accomodate, but we need to know you are coming. Keep that in mind too if you are writing an email on Sat and want to come in on Sun, I probably won't get it. :)

Thanks guys! Looking forward to seeing everyone when you are here!

Alex & I will be there. We are both racing in (legend), which will race on Tuesday & Wednesday. Noah, we would love to meet up for a gathering one night. Just keep us posted.

Michelle, we would love to come tour the shop. I will definitely call or email to schedule, if we can get there.

Alex & I will be there. We are both racing in (legend), which will race on Tuesday & Wednesday. Noah, we would love to meet up for a gathering one night. Just keep us posted.

Michelle, we would love to come tour the shop. I will definitely call or email to schedule, if we can get there.

Awesome Steph!! Can't wait to see you guys again, and show you around the Bomber Empire! :biggthump

TS OF GS...we'll have the post opening meeting alpine coaches meeting and determine setters and refs for the week at both venues, as we have for the past few years...

of course you can set at least one day, as long as no one has some strong objection!

We just had the practice day at Nationals. The GS course was flowing and really good fun, a joy to ride... Everyone had a blast and the general public were pretty enthralled and asking interested questions.

The slalom course had completely the opposite effect.

The top of the course was very tight and offset, and using the Open Class riders as a guide, impossible to make for 95% without skidding the entire turn on each gate, the bottom half as you came over the brow was even tighter and more offset.

About half way through the morning there was a reset of the bottom half only as one of the officials said "because it was a bad set". it seems that the setter was a first year coach who alledgedly coaches small kids, who were probably managing the best of us on it.

My point is this.... If the event is supposed to showcase the sport, encourage fun and show the talents of the riders, why have a course that renders hard boots and expensive race set ups virtually useless and shows people struggling awkwardly down a hill. Riders who had logged the fastest times in the entire event in previous years riding $1000's worth of kit were finding it hard to make the course. Aren't these carving boards? It's hard enough to keep kids interested in slalom with all the media-hyped "cooler" stuff around and the much higher price of equipment, without rendering said equipment useless in one fell swoop. This is how we will kill interest in Alpine IMHO.

One argument I heard was, "oh, it's just USASA, it's not important", but as another coach pointed out, it is the only race option for Masters Snowboard Racing (personally I don't count NASTAR Nationals where they treat us like lepers) and so does matter. Apart from which a lot of people have spent a lot of money to be there and deserve better.

Come on USASA, sort it out!

Rant over....normal service is now resumed. I apologize in advance if I offended anyone, but it was the feeling of the majority.

We just had the practice day at Nationals. The GS course was flowing and really good fun, a joy to ride... Everyone had a blast and the general public were pretty enthralled and asking interested questions.

The slalom course had completely the opposite effect.

The top of the course was very tight and offset, and using the Open Class riders as a guide, impossible to make for 95% without skidding the entire turn on each gate, the bottom half as you came over the brow was even tighter and more offset.

About half way through the morning there was a reset of the bottom half only as one of the officials said "because it was a bad set". it seems that the setter was a first year coach who alledgedly coaches small kids, who were probably managing the best of us on it.

My point is this.... If the event is supposed to showcase the sport, encourage fun and show the talents of the riders, why have a course that renders hard boots and expensive race set ups virtually useless and shows people struggling awkwardly down a hill. Riders who had logged the fastest times in the entire event in previous years riding $1000's worth of kit were finding it hard to make the course. Aren't these carving boards? It's hard enough to keep kids interested in slalom with all the media-hyped "cooler" stuff around and the much higher price of equipment, without rendering said equipment useless in one fell swoop. This is how we will kill interest in Alpine IMHO.

One argument I heard was, "oh, it's just USASA, it's not important", but as another coach pointed out, it is the only race option for Masters Snowboard Racing (personally I don't count NASTAR Nationals where they treat us like lepers) and so does matter. Apart from which a lot of people have spent a lot of money to be there and deserve better.

Come on USASA, sort it out!

Rant over....normal service is now resumed. I apologize in advance if I offended anyone, but it was the feeling of the majority.

Agreed, had the same talk with course officials on the way up Excelerator. The course was set to 12M+20 inches, FIS spec is 12-14 so they were in the right. However it was too tight for us larger guys to really make any use of the course.

Open class course looked a lot better today.

i set the practice GS course on Saturday, and the GS course today... as soon as we heard about the attempt on the practice set for slalom, we changed it to make it a little more rideable...

I don't agree with people busting on a practice course though.. The coach who set that course stuck her neck out, got up earlier than everyone else, and set a course in an attempt to help out alpine racing...

we (the more experienced coaches) helped her out by changing it a little to make it work better...

we will "kill the sport" by criticizing and not making an effort to help out those who are trying to make a differerence.

I am not interested in starting a p**sing match but feel the need to stick up for a coach that was trying.

my humble, knowledgeable two cents on the issue....

@ Mike C - You are totally right about today's Open course, looked awesome! So much powder though, one guy stopped at the end of the course and showered himself from head to toe in snow. Just heard both Vail Pass and Silverthorne are closed, so racers if you ain't here already...

@ Neil - I have been a fan of yours for a while, even more so after yesterday's GS course. As a Coach/Trainer etc, I fully appreciate the sacrifices Coaches make and p*ssing matches are not my style either.

I posted upset, which you should never do, but was upset at the time and concerned that race day was going to about survival-thanks for the clarification and words of wisdom. Hopefully she will get the help and assistance to further develop her course-setting skills, we need more female Coaches for the future growth and survival of the sport.

Looking forward to meeting you on the hill in person!

Best Regards,

Martin

i set the practice GS course on Saturday, and the GS course today... as soon as we heard about the attempt on the practice set for slalom, we changed it to make it a little more rideable...

I don't agree with people busting on a practice course though.. The coach who set that course stuck her neck out, got up earlier than everyone else, and set a course in an attempt to help out alpine racing...

we (the more experienced coaches) helped her out by changing it a little to make it work better...

we will "kill the sport" by criticizing and not making an effort to help out those who are trying to make a differerence.

I am not interested in starting a p**sing match but feel the need to stick up for a coach that was trying.

my humble, knowledgeable two cents on the issue....

Neil,

That is very warm and loving to stick up for the setter, But a bad set is just that, a bad set. Who cares who set it. There should be complaints and the set should be corrected. People spent their hard erned money to be at a event, and they come out expecting to practice (they paid to be on the hill that day), on a course that was properly set and allows them to feel preped for the event, What good does a practice course that in no way shape or form relects what will be set for race day, and if the course is unridable for full grown athletes what challenges does it provide for others how does it mess with developing athletes mental attitude???

In my humble ever so useless opinion, USSA waisted riders and the setters time by putting a first year coach in charge of setting any course (practice or not) with out supervision, this is the same crap that cuases people to walk around , complaining about USSA.

It is a National event and as a coach going to it you know you will have to get up early and have to put in extra effort, In you privious post you were excited about setting, even looking foward to it.

There is no reason why you should be upset about people busting on a practice course that was crap, and you should not be claiming people busting on the course "will kill the sport" deffending USSA's crappy race practice and allowing stupid desicions like letting a first year coach set on practice day is what USSA is doing to continue the growth of alpine...?????

It is this type of USSA magic that will kill the sport not the riders who are disapointed and speaking out about a said crappy course, (seems to me these rider care enough to want better training and are pushing the sport)

I quess that is how USSA rolls It place un qualified setters in charge of others peoples training days for the betterment of the sport???? How is that Being professional, at the Natitional event they host???, like I said at the begining LAME! I heard the complaints all the way in Utah while being out of the loop. How is that good for the sport again?