Note to New Members ×

Got Some Money to Spend... What Gear Should I buy?

Atom Ant

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what a PM is, so I am responding here on the forum. No, I have not made any board selections yet. Why? You got something up your sleeve?

Possibly--if you're looking for a hardboot compatible freeride board. Right click on my user name and send me an email through my Bomber profile. (Your Bomber email is currently disabled.)

Oh, and I think PM means private message. I'm new to the lingo too.

I have no idea what a PM is, so I am responding here on the forum. No, I have not made any board selections yet. Why? You got something up your sleeve?

Yes, PM means private message. Click on the person's screen name and you should get a drop down menu. Usually 'send email to _____' is one of the options. A few people choose not to enable that option, so then you will only be able to reach them through the forum. I noticed that your email is not enabled - if you want to turn that on, go to "User CP" (in the upper left) and then "Edit Options"....

Or just post on the forum - works fine. Have fun spending your money!!! Cheers! :)

If I could get a plate, board and both bindings that would be a hell of a hall. Tentatively this is possible for sure on a 2G budget. I know a guy who got a Coiler VSR Metal for $800 flat brand new, and loves it (same guy who lent me the metal i tried... not the same board). So that is a thought, however that is a lot of scrilla for a board I may not like, and which, aside from grip and dampness will ultimately not expand the versatility of my quiver.

Remember that when you order a Coiler from Bruce, that it's custom made for you, how you ride, and how you want the board to feel. If you want a board with more pop, he can easily do that for you. I'd highly recommend emailing him and getting a conversation going.

So I have been thinking about going the custom route for the freestyle/freeride board. Anyone every gotten a custom board before? I have not, but the process is exciting to me. Which companies do custom boards? I know Donek, Coiler, and Prior will... am I missing anyone?

As of now, getting an adjusted version of the Donek Incline seems to be a good fit. I am planning on hitting jumps, doing spins, nose butters, etc... on the board I end up with, while laying down Euro-style calves. Any recommendations, anything I should be keeping in mind?

Also, what bindings do you all recommend for this style of riding (forgiving bindings)?

Thanks again for all you guys helping me out here.

As of now, getting an adjusted version of the Donek Incline seems to be a good fit. I am planning on hitting jumps, doing spins, nose butters, etc... on the board I end up with, while laying down Euro-style calves. Any recommendations, anything I should be keeping in mind?

Also, what bindings do you all recommend for this style of riding (forgiving bindings)?

Ask bgarfield (username here). He went with custom Donek Incline for pretty much what you want to do with it.

I would actually have three for next season. A GS board (F2 GS 183), a slalom board for USASA events / training (Prior WCRM 169 with plate) and I would like to "round things out" with a freestyle/freeride/all mountain board. I used to ride soft boots freestyle professionally, but I am now a near full time hard booter, so I would like a board that can accommodate this portion of my riding.

• 5 months later...

So its been a while since I updated this post.

I have decided on a custom Donek Axis or Incline. I contacted Coiler to see what options could be provided and got the general sense that glass based, freestyle/free ride orientated boards were not the focus or core competency. So Donek it is.

I picked up a pair of free ride orientated boots based off Pureboarding.com's recommendation.

As for bindings, I need everyone's help as I am still undecided. There are several options and I need people who have ridden these bindings, or are familiar with them, to weigh in here. First how I ride: as I mentioned freestyle / free ride orientated, jumps, extreem carving, pretty aggressive stuff. Binding options are:

Nidecker Free Carve Plate (least expensive at $150)

IBEX

Phiokka

SnowPro (pretty sure these are IBEX)

Volkl (Race Tiger)

F2 Carver RS (assuming I can locate a pair)

I need a flexible, forgiving binding that isn't going to break easily. Thoughts everyone?

I would get Bomber Sidewinders.Snowpros/Volkls are a good 'poor man's' choice(I use them but they are not in the same league with Sidewinders).I agree with scrapter about their quirks.Snopros also don't stay adjusted as well,and require frequent tightnening for bail tension,and sometimes for the baseplate to the board.Sidewinders ,which I demoed at SES '11,will be my big purchase this season if they are available when I have allocated the funds.By far the best bindings for my own riding preferences.Super responsive edge to edge yet flexible in the right direction.

So its been a while since I updated this post.

I have decided on a custom Donek Axis or Incline. I contacted Coiler to see what options could be provided and got the general sense that glass based, freestyle/free ride orientated boards were not the focus or core competency. So Donek it is.

I picked up a pair of free ride orientated boots based off Pureboarding.com's recommendation.

As for bindings, I need everyone's help as I am still undecided. There are several options and I need people who have ridden these bindings, or are familiar with them, to weigh in here. First how I ride: as I mentioned freestyle / free ride orientated, jumps, extreem carving, pretty aggressive stuff. Binding options are:

Nidecker Free Carve Plate (least expensive at $150)

IBEX

Phiokka

SnowPro (pretty sure these are IBEX)

Volkl (Race Tiger)

F2 Carver RS (assuming I can locate a pair)

I need a flexible, forgiving binding that isn't going to break easily. Thoughts everyone?

If you have the money, get sidewinders. You and I do similar things, and they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Dropping cliffs? Awesome. Trees? Check.

Why buy a lesser quality product that will break on you when you least want it to?

I would love the Sidewinders, but at $450 they are a little too steep for me. This sport is ridiculously expensive to begin with, even with less expensive binding options. If anyone has a demo/used pair they want to offer me, I am all ears. Until then, any thoughts on the bindings I listed?

Good choice, I did the same, got a great glass board with some rubber for dampening, custom graphics and dimensions, shipped to my door, and PayPal :)

I got some SnoPro Race off Ebay for $100 NIB :)

Burly, not sure about the heel thing, mine seem to stay up fine.

I would love the Sidewinders, but at $450 they are a little too steep for me. This sport is ridiculously expensive to begin with, even with less expensive binding options. If anyone has a demo/used pair they want to offer me, I am all ears. Until then, any thoughts on the bindings I listed?

You said you had $2k to spend earlier. Is that not the case anymore? Otherwise, what $1500 board are you getting? You have good boots, so no need to get anything else there. You also said that you wanted bindings for freeride purposes.

You pay for what you get. You are not going to be racing at the world cup level, so why get a plate? Trust me, you don't want to be doing anything else besides racing on one of those things. You won't be riding trees, doing jumps or anything else.

I think you need to decide what you want to use your new gear for and get that, because you have thrown out so many contradictory ideas we have no idea how to help.

My budget is ~$2,000.

Sidewinders: $450

Metal Donek: $1000 (ish)

You're well under the $2000 budget...hell, you could even throw in new boots and be within budget. Also, I'm not understanding the thinking on a glass board. Metal is the newest and best technology and the way to go for small quivers. That said, I haven't spent the time to read this entire thread so don't flame me too much (I am a girl after all).

Bottom line is: you get what you pay for. Sidewinders might cost $450 but you won't need to replace them for years - if ever.

If you're concerned about winning Olympics, I think you should find another forum. I also think you should do more research before dogging a product. The reason F2s SEEMINGLY win Olympics is because, um, the Sidewinders didn't even exist during the past Olympics and are too new to the market to give a fair shake in that comparison. A lot of top athletes are making the conversion, so think on that one before making judegment. Besides the fact that freeriding is a completely different animal. Are you also going to spend $2k on a Kessler because that's what Olympians ride? No. Why buy a glass board, World Cup racers ride metal (thanks MikeC)?

Our needs are completely different and we don't have sponsors who replace bindings, plates and boards after every race. The people on this forum ride and have been riding for years in the capacity that you are looking to get set up for. Take the advice here over what you see on TV during a race.

Also, I am a Coiler girl and would strongly recommend rethinking the glass decision over metal. And when you realize that metal is the right way to go, be sure to throw Coiler back into the list of possibilities. Bruce and Sean both make fantastic metal boards, and you'd have a great list of options by seeing what both of them can do for you.

I think I am a little confused as to what I really did to offend so many people. I asked for some advice and instead seems to get shouted at because I didn't want to spend $450 on some sidewinders. I think Sidewinders are great, but just because I have $2Gs to spend doesn't mean I am determined to spend every penny. I put a list of bindings in my post above because those are the ones I am interested in and if I wanted sidewinders I would have put them on that list.

I like this forum but I have no idea why people seem to be so mean via the internet. I am a newby of sorts, and of course there is a learning curve in this sport in terms of memorizing all the details surrounding products. I called Sean up at Donek and asked, "metal or glass?" and he said glass. I trust him.

I think I am a little confused as to what I really did to offend so many people. I asked for some advice and instead seems to get shouted at because I didn't want to spend $450 on some sidewinders.

We're not being mean. We're giving you advice that you asked for, and while you don't have to take it, it seems that you're not open to said advice on the grounds of MONEY....when the TOPIC of your post is I HAVE MONEY TO SPEND. It seems contradictory to negate the advice of the majority of the responses based on how expensive something is, when you're the one who said you had $2k to spend - which is a great budget for starting out!

Personally, you did offend me with the whole sidewinders don't win Olympics. You're not an Olympic caliber athlete, so to come on the forum owned by the guy who makes sidewinders and say they don't stand up in an elite setting is a little insulting in my eyes, especially when there isn't even hard proof or enough evidence to support the statement in the first place. There is such a thing as constructive criticism, which is acceptable - even when its applied to a product made by the owners of this site. However, I'm personally offended at that statement because I love Bomber and the people to have made it what it is. I think its unfair because it isn't a constructive review of a product. Its an opinion with no grounds. If you don't want to spend the money on Sidewinders, fine. But don't tell us you have lots of money to spend, and then say oh never mind I don't want to spend it when we ALL tell you its the right product for you. See how it comes across as contradictory (said in non-attacking tone)??

You have to understand that 90% of us regular BOLers are GEAR HEADS. If you tell us we have $2k to spend on alpine gear....we're going to get the best of the best and spend every last penny. :biggthump

On a lighter note: It also takes awhile to get the handle of the personality of a board when you're a newb. Wait it out, you'll figure us out and also figure out how to tactfully take advice and review a product.

No hard feelings, I'm just one of the few outspoken chicks around here :eplus2:

I started with glass, then rode a metal board. Custom Coiler AMT on the way.

I started with TD2, went to SnoPro SI, went back to TD3 SI. Won't go with anything other than Bomber from now on.

I would spend every penny of that $2K on a new metal board, new TD3 SI, and new boots with Fintec heels. :biggthump

You will spend more than that if you have to buy it all twice or three times too!

And listen to Angie, she is very pretty;)