Note to New Members ×

Question for women

Daneille

I have been enjoying lurking on this thread. Good ideas and things to think about and try.

I am currently thinking of a new board and wonder what sizes/kinds of boards you all ride? This will be my second board, my current "beginner" board is a 159 cm Nidecker Next Step. I am completely comfy on it so methinks it's time for a new one. I did "sorta" demo a 163cm Donek at NICE this year (sorta means I only had 2 runs) and was admittedly very cautious so really can't say good/bad/indifferent.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Yours in hazards:lol:

Max

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, check the CO ride board once in a while girl.
I did, I even asked about it specifically on the forum http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=343754&postcount=1657

Oh yeah, Concussed was having the same problem the last time we rode. Once I told her to feed the board through the turn, and explained how to do it, it all hooked up and shot her out the other end.

Explanation that worked with her:

At home, sit on a rolling chair with your feet planted on the floor. Move the chair back and forth like you would if you were on your board moving from tip to tail and back again. This is the basic movement for feeding the board through the turn.

On snow enter the turn with your weight slightly forward and begin to move the board ahead of your feet. At the apex (center of the turn) your weight should be about centered and keep feeding the board. You will finish your turn with your weight slightly behind center. As the board is about to release its stored energy put more pressure into your back foot to move your weight forward to enter the next turn. This isn't a big movement, a couple inches maybe. How fast you move your feet through the turn depends on how big of a radius you are making. Smaller radius, fast feet. Larger radius, slower feet.

I hope this helps. If nothing else give it a try and see if it works for you.

Not sure I totally understand this, but maybe when I'm up there next weekend you can show me. I'm definitely a more hands on learner (that could be my problem!) LOL. Thanks for the always welcome advise Ink!

Maybe both of you ladies want to make some turns with me at Copper in 2 weeks. Not sure if Angie will be there, but it would be fun. I love the opportunity to ride w/other women. It's rare that I get that!
Steph, i would love to! The week of Nationals is super busy for me, but I might be able to swing Mon morning. Would that work for you?

Michelle, from what I saw of your riding, you are just too far back in your boots. I find that heelside carves require more commitment to forward pressure in the boots, especially to get the turn started. I'm happy to talk you through the drill I was showing you - via email or phone, if that would help. And I bet riding with Steph would be awesome for you! I'm jealous! :)
Thanks two_ravens - Yes, I know I sit on my back foot. I just can't seem to fix the problem. I would love to talk to you about the drill - phone probably works better for these type of things. you can PM me and we can set up a time.

Riding with Steph will be a treat! If she will wait for me.....

I'm in! I have some buy one get one vouchers to use anyway. When will you be here and for how long? Yay!
Ang, she's probably at copper but I probably have a ticket for you. You guys can ride Loveland on Sun, and stay and we can ride with her on Mon. OR Steph you can just come over to Loveland on Sun and ride with all of us!

Ang, she's probably at copper but I probably have a ticket for you. You guys can ride Loveland on Sun, and stay and we can ride with her on Mon. OR Steph you can just come over to Loveland on Sun and ride with all of us!

The vouchers I have are good at Copper and Loveland ;)

I am at Copper. We have our tix already for the week (included in our nationals registration). I think Alex booked us for cat riding on Sunday already, so Loveland would be out for me (although it sounds like much fun). I'd love to hook w/you both on Monday though. Seriously, it will be nice to ride w/the girls and I'm already looking forward to this!!

I have been enjoying lurking on this thread. Good ideas and things to think about and try.

I am currently thinking of a new board and wonder what sizes/kinds of boards you all ride? This will be my second board, my current "beginner" board is a 159 cm Nidecker Next Step. I am completely comfy on it so methinks it's time for a new one. I did "sorta" demo a 163cm Donek at NICE this year (sorta means I only had 2 runs) and was admittedly very cautious so really can't say good/bad/indifferent.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Yours in hazards:lol:

Max

Hey Max, I bet I demoed that same Donek 163 at SES! Don't know what you weigh or how much leg strength you have, but that board was significantly too stiff for me (Sean said it would work for up to 180 lbs - meaning not much flex for me at 120 lbs and with not a whole lot of leg strength.) However, I could really crank up the energy once in awhile and get a few very nice turns out of it before having to rest. I think that board built with an appropriately soft flex would be really fun! If I can scare up the money, I would like to order one a bit longer and with an 18cm waist. I find anything over 18.5 cm wide to be too slow and difficult to change edges - I have mondo 23.5 boots, so small feet are a factor.

Mostly what I ride right now is my Coiler Stubette (girl version of the Stubby.) This is a titanal board, built for me. It's 160cm x 18.2cm waist x 12m SCR. AWESOME board!!!! Super fun, flexy enough for me to bend into tight turns easily, but can run big fast wide open turns too without any fuss. Fun in a bit of powder, holds fine on hard snow. Super fun, easy, versatile board. Can't say enough good things about the Stub!!! :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu: Reviewed here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33720

Got a VSR from Bruce this year too, but have struggled with that one. We have concluded that it is too stiff for me, and he'll be building me another board this summer. Reviewed here:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33724

If you can afford it I really recommend getting a custom board - just not much off the shelf that works for women very well. Good luck! Can't wait to hear what you find!

Hi ho,

Thank you so much for your response, Two_Ravens. I appreciate your input and do think a custom board will be in my future. "The guys" are always willing to put in their two cents when asked but there IS a difference that just doesn't translate well. ;) I always like to hear other women's experiences.

Thanks again.

Yours in hazards,

Max

I love my Coiler ... the first time I rode it, it was LOVE. :1luvu:I was lucky - the board was made for Andrea, and didn't quite work for her, so I was able to buy it brand-new / second hand. I was also able to demo it before I bought it, try and figure out if it worked for me. As a newbie last year, I read through reviews and none of them made any sense to me - it could have been Greek. But getting on a board that worked for me, suddenly stuff made sense.

If you can, see if you can meet up with some girls who might be up to let you do a few runs on their boards, talk to them about what they like and don't like and then get a feel for what they mean. Nothing beats actually trying it. If you ever up in Canada, you can try my Coiler.

Last year I went to ECES and had my ass kicked by some of the demo boards that the other girls were raving about, but I was a totally newbie and really didn't have the chops to ride them - next year I want to try them again, and figure out if it was me (or the board).

Bruce is really great about talking to you about what you want / need, and trying to do something that works for you ... but you need to try a few things so that you have a base-point to compare from.

Good luck

Hey Max,

Any chance you'll be up in Whitefish for closing weekend, April 9-10? I'd let you take a spin on the Stubette if you want! Even if you are a hazard! :lol::lol::lol:

Cheers!

Kelly

I'll be there as well with a couple of my boards ... you'd be welcome to try those too ... although I tend to like my boards stiff.

Hiho, all who have responded:

Thanks so much for the ideas. Whitefish in April? Hmmmm, a possibility. And it would be way fun to meet you, ride with you and maybe try out some boards. Thank you for the offers. Not too many folks around here to ride with let alone of the female persuasion:lol:. Oh, and I don't think I am much of a hazard but if you haven't seen the video of the enraged skiier going off on us at NICE, ya gotta:biggthump It's very funny.

Cheers,

Max

Not too many folks around here to ride with let alone of the female persuasion:lol:.

I'm at Lookout every Sunday.... this week I'll be helping my boyfriend learn on his first hardboot setup (wish me luck!) and next Sunday (closing day), I'll be there with the kids, but maybe we can get together to ride some next year. I plan on continuing to teach at Lookout. I love it there! (Great groom too!)

Sorry Allee, don't think I'll make it to Whitefish.... choosing the family thing for closing day at home!

Whitefish in April? Hmmmm, a possibility.

Oh, and I don't think I am much of a hazard but if you haven't seen the video of the enraged skiier going off on us at NICE, ya gotta:biggthump It's very funny.

Cheers,

Max

Hope you can make it up!!! Yes, I've seen the hazard video - awesome!!! Very nice of that skier to contribute his thoughts! :lol:

There's a lot said there!

+1 :biggthump

I'm at Lookout every Sunday.... this week I'll be helping my boyfriend learn on his first hardboot setup (wish me luck!)

Kinpa, sorry you won't be up for Whitefish closing - was hoping I would finally get to meet you! :(

So... Good Luck with the boyfriend!!! :lol::lol::lol: Really, I hope it goes well. Might be a nice way to explore some character traits... :D I got my ex-sweetie on softies a couple of times and it actually went quite well! (Too bad the rest of it wasn't as easy. :rolleyes:) On his second day I set my hardboot board up regular (I ride goofy) so I would be more at his level - he ended up being better than me after about 15 minutes! I think that helped a lot actually. :ices_ange

So... Good Luck with the boyfriend!!! :lol::lol::lol: Really, I hope it goes well. Might be a nice way to explore some character traits... :D I got my ex-sweetie on softies a couple of times and it actually went quite well! (Too bad the rest of it wasn't as easy. :rolleyes:) On his second day I set my hardboot board up regular (I ride goofy) so I would be more at his level - he ended up being better than me after about 15 minutes! I think that helped a lot actually. :ices_ange

Hmmmm.... he is goofy (more ways than one!) and I am regular.... maybe I should too..... NAH! One of us has to be sound enough to make the drive home!!!! :nono:

I am at Copper. We have our tix already for the week (included in our nationals registration). I think Alex booked us for cat riding on Sunday already, so Loveland would be out for me (although it sounds like much fun). I'd love to hook w/you both on Monday though. Seriously, it will be nice to ride w/the girls and I'm already looking forward to this!!

Thanks to a bat**** crazy now ex-boss, we can stay in Summit an extra day and ride at Copper on Monday! Yeah!

Hi ho, all:

I went back thru my emails and can't find the kind offer to ride with some folks and try their boards at Big Mountain this weekend. Ah, well. I am unabashedly computer illiterate! Anywho, I had thought I might be able to do this but sadly a funeral has intervened. So, ladies, maybe next year I can do some traveling to meet, ride and swap boards with you. I greatly appreciate everyone's willingness to help out:1luvu:

Happy spring. Onward to next season:biggthump

Cheers. Yours in hazards,

Max

Hi ho, all:

I went back thru my emails and can't find the kind offer to ride with some folks and try their boards at Big Mountain this weekend. Ah, well. I am unabashedly computer illiterate! Anywho, I had thought I might be able to do this but sadly a funeral has intervened. So, ladies, maybe next year I can do some traveling to meet, ride and swap boards with you. I greatly appreciate everyone's willingness to help out:1luvu:

Happy spring. Onward to next season:biggthump

Cheers. Yours in hazards,

Max

Bummers!!! BigDogDave & I drove all night in a blizzard to get in an extra day at Big Mountain and it was really quite good spring conditions today! Worth it, but need to sleep about 10 hours now. Sorry you won't be joining us for the weekend - I think you would really like my Stubette. Next year then!!!

Sorry I didn't get in touch sooner but pm'd you about Silver tommorrow.

Um.... Steve, you going to loan her that 210 Diablo?!?!? :eek::eek::eek:

Hopefully we can all get together at some point next year and ride! We should start a WES - Women's Expression Session! :D

Yes - would be awesome!!! :biggthump Hoping I have more travel money next year... a few mini sessions would be great!