Note to New Members ×

Opinions: Donek Incline or Saber?

TJR

The Razor, Incline, or Saber will fit the bill depending on your exact needs. I'd be happy to discuss them by phone with you. The Saber is much more race and BX oriented. The Razor is primarily a carve board and the incline is a carve oriented freeride board. All can be custom tailored to your needs and the ability to blend characteristics from each is there if your style requires it.

I originally owned an Incline, and then went to the Razor. I found the Razor could do everything the Incline could do, but I could just cruise on the Razor if I wanted to, while it seemed like I always needed to be on top of the Incline. The Razor also doesn't beat me up as much as the Incline in chop. The Razor's pointy nose and flat tail are cool. I'd say definitely go for the Razor.

I have no experience with the Saber.

I have had both a Razor (currently for sale) and an Incline. Both were 164. The Razor was not built for me, it is a stock board. It carves real well but does not do that great in powder or bumps. It is pretty stiff with a ton of camber. Very fun on hardpack and smooth surfaces. The Incline was built for me. It is the standard sidecut. It also was a great softboot carving board. The nose and tail made it far more versatile than the Razor IMO. It does like to be riden hard, but I used it in powder, mogels, steeps without any problem. The Razor was much more of a workout. The Incline was great for charging through stuff. I did not like the large sidecut radius in tight trees, but other than that it was a great board.

• 7 years later...

Nomad with a lower profile nose and titanal. Sized to your specs. I ride a saber 164 and nomad 170. Prefer the nomad for all mountain freeride/carve for obvious reasons and rails quicker than the saber due to taper I believe. Saber has a longer effective edge although shorter. Its a race board! Goes down hill. It's all in design and build. Talk with the man at donek but that's my two cents without going into an amateur thesis. No experience with inline or razor to speak on. The one board quiver is out there!

I have both, a 170 Saber (wide) and 169 Incline (extra-wide).
Saber: I love the dampness and smoothness of the Saber, it likes to go fast and make big turns. I end up riding this one more. It will ride in powder without issue due to it's width (28cm),   but can be a handful it really tight trees where you might want to go a little slower.
Incline: The Incline is less damp, but also prefers some speed and to be ridden with emphasis. At the width I got (30cm) it's suited for open alpine, deep pow, and open runs. but it can go anywhere.  

For all mountain carving, if only the Saber and Incline could have a baby .... oh wait they can, just talk to Sean @ Donek like others (and he) have said, and have him make you exactly what you want. 

This is an old thread revival. But I will take the opportunity to plug the often overlooked Incline. 

I have two Inclines (a 180 & 164 with 23.5cm waist) and really love them. Great carving boards, I use them with hard boots, mostly when the snow conditions are too soft for my carving sticks, RE: up to about a foot of fresh on groom, spring slush:biggthump, or any soft groomers where I might bury the nose of an all-out carving board. If it's really hard or icy, the Incline is not my first choice, but it will perform as well as most any glass carving board. Plus, you can't beat that you can get a new custom Incline for $675.

If I was expecting to ride icy conditions too, I'd spend a bit more and get something like a Flux or the other boards mentioned. I still like the more rounded nose shape for lifting over variable terrain when on edge though. Those blunt noses can really come to a stop when they find hard spot when up on edge in softer snow!

I had a Nomad, and think it is a compromise board that will ride powder well and carve better than most pow specific boards. But, when carving the soft nose flops around a lot and you're carving mainly on the stiff mid and tail. If you get the nose engaged in a turn on firm snow it will really bend. This was also a problem in deep, wet spring "powder". I found it performed best in light, dry snow.