Note to New Members ×

How to carve when you ride with people who don't?

newcarver

Any ideas on how to be able to carve when everyone that you ride with in your family doesn't and hates groomers? If I'm riding with my son, sometimes I can get him to do laps in the terrain park and be able to carve. I rarely get to go by myself and do laps on the groomers. Sometimes I can take 2 boards, 1 for carving and 1 for all mountain so I can carve a few hours in the morning and then hit the steeps in the afternoon. My son is only 10 so not too keen on letting him ride by himself. He is always doing unmarked locals runs and double blacks. Hard to keep him reigned in.

newcarver,

Teach your 10yr old to carve. Watch the vids of the Team Winters and see how much fun they have together.

At 7 KarverKai absolutely loves carving with the LCI. And by carving I mean CARVING. He will take trips into the terrain park from time to time and hit small jumps on each run also.

Ink

"No friends on a hero groomer day"

Now I don't have kids in tow, (Teach'em to love the G's) but when the friends I hang with would rather search through the chop further & further to the fringes/slack country for the last dregs of soft turns while the piste is primo, I can make 2 runs of perfect turns by the time they get back from the woods. Now I love riding the trees and soft bump runs but way prefer a whole run of ribbon candy carves to fighting the chop for a few leftover pow turns.

Guess I'm getting old & lazy;)

Or maybe old & efficient:eplus2:

I am happy to session in the park, because that's where the best and most dependable grooming is.Tragically,I am Not kidding.

Otherwise,my little boys want to hit every little bump they see on their skis.The sides of many of the narrowly groomed runs at Silver offer plenty of thrills for my mini groms.

There's more to riding then carving...

Get a very floppy wider board, like Proto, ElDiablo, ATV. They would carve at very slow speeds and flat terrain. Mix it up with some spins, switch riding, couple of ollie-to-carve, toe-to-toe and heel-to-heel carves, hit couple of natural features. You'll have a ball while learning new things and you'll entertain the people you ride with. Win-win.

There's more to riding then carving...

Get a very floppy wider board, like Proto, ElDiablo, ATV. They would carve at very slow speeds and flat terrain. Mix it up with some spins, switch riding, couple of ollie-to-carve, toe-to-toe and heel-to-heel carves, hit couple of natural features. You'll have a ball while learning new things and you'll entertain the people you ride with. Win-win.

I ended up doing miles and miles of switch nose butters on my GS board in Mammoth. Passing the time on cat tracks in Mammoth...

I often spend a day with a skier friend, whose idea of a good time is playing "What's down here?" If I'm riding with her, I'm on at least the AM board, and quite often the BX board - and if we go to one particular hill that she likes and I don't, I'm on the BX and softies.

I have a crew that I carve with, and we have some epic carving days. But when I'm riding with her, we're just out for the lulz. As others say, you'll be riding by yourself soon enough. Get out there and play. The groom will wait.

Most of the time, everyone I ride with other than carvers want to ride steeps. This includes my son. If he wants to ride the park, that is when I get to carve. I have a Generics Peak 160, SG Cult 169, and Coiler AM 172. I ride the Peak and Cult on double blacks with no problem. They will carve OK as well. It is hard to clip in on the hike to terrain though. I also would rather hike in softboots. Guess I will enjoy my time riding with my son. He is getting so good though that I get pretty tired trying to keep after 4-5 double black steeps. At least it is getting me in shape and I know that he is safe. Looks like I'll get to carve all day on Sat when he goes to mogel team practice though. Tomorrow is teacher work day so looks like I'll be doing a lot of hiking in softies :biggthump

If I'm riding with my son, sometimes I can get him to do laps in the terrain park and be able to carve. ... My son is only 10 so not too keen on letting him ride by himself. He is always doing unmarked locals runs and double blacks. Hard to keep him reigned in.

Not to be a jerk but....

Are you the father? Did you buy the lift ticket, the gear, the food, the transportation etc?

Be a parent...?

;):biggthump