Note to New Members ×

Molding the liner

Harmless

I got my first set of hard boots in a couple days ago, Oxygen Kryptons. They feel good except for a few areas.

On my left foot, my pinky toes feels like its a little cramped, and on my right theres a pressure point on my heel.

So is there anyway to mold these at home? The closest ski shop is just hard to get to.

I think those instructions are a good start, but there are a lot of missing details that are helpful:

1) have two people there to help get the foot in the liner and the liner in the boot FAST and correctly aligned. Once the liner is out of the oven you want to get it on a foot and in the boot as quickly and correctly as possible. Hard to do it fast and well with just one person.

2) a little bit of cotton between the toes for improved toe-room (plus toecap).

3) I like to tape my footbed directly to my foot (medical tape, very loose) and then put on the toecap (after the cotton-balls) and then put on the sock, to create a smooth profile but also to make sure everything stays together.

4) use a heat gun (or a hair dryer) to warm up your shells just before your liners are done cooking, so that it is easier to get them wide open and put your hot/swolen liners in with your foot on.

5) Make sure you wrap the cuff of the liner nicely around the foreleg and that it closes all the way over the foot. A bit of medical tape will help keep things put.

6) wrap the liner in a plus-sized pantyhoze just prior to inserting it in the liner, to prevent snags and protect it, as well as to maintain the wrap.

7) make damn sure that the liner is correctly aligned on the foot (seams are in the right places, snug all around).

8) spray a little bit of wd-40 in the boot to assist sliding the liner in.

9) rather than duct tape in the boot, cut a piece of thin flexible plastic (like from a cheap school folder) and use this between the rear of the boot and the liner while inserting to minimize resistance and snags.

10). While inserting the liner in the boot have the person getting molded pull slightly on the top/rear of the liner to keep the heel in place.

11). tighten the buckles only the minimum required to get an impression of the foot and boot, any more and you are just packing out your liners early.

12) once you are up, flex the boot forward hard ONCE and BRIEFLY, and then flex it back ONCE and BRIEFLY.

10) like jack said, put something under your toes, and put a thick book beneath your other foot to make sure that your weight is bearing down on the boot as naturally as possible.

I think the hardest part is getting the liner on the foot correctly and then keeping it correct while you slide it into the boot. Heating up the shells to make them soft and pliable helps.

• 4 weeks later...
I think those instructions are a good start, but there are a lot of missing details that are helpful:

4) use a heat gun (or a hair dryer) to warm up your shells just before your liners are done cooking, so that it is easier to get them wide open and put your hot/swolen liners in with your foot on.

9) rather than duct tape in the boot, cut a piece of thin flexible plastic (like from a cheap school folder) and use this between the rear of the boot and the liner while inserting to minimize resistance and snags.

These particular tips GREATLY helped me to put intuition liners into shells. :biggthump Thanks.

Did you have a chance to ride the Silberpfeil this season? How was it?

Oh yeah. it rides so great. A lot of pops and carve so good. The best carving board ever. That's why I was after Silberpfeil. For this season, I tested about 10+ boards including metal GS decks (Kessler, SG, Coiler) and fiberglass (Donek, Coiler, Hot, Prior, Vokl, F2, and others). I say it is the best carving board for its class.

Narrow width was made for more groomed condition, rather than choppy, bumpy snow but as you know, Whitetail this season was great for carving on Farside and Snowpark. Now the Silberpfeil is belong to Se7ven (BOLer). He got a VSR 165 Tight and able to compare it side by side.

Since we both impressed on Silberpfeil, he is waiting to get a 11-12 Silberpfeil Carbon. Another deck I was so impressed was SG Full Race. It rides much differ than Silberpfeil. Very damp, stable, solid, and unbelievable edge holds. Metal was the choice for the condition after 11