Note to New Members ×

Hype, Crowds, Media Attention

Michelle

an interesting thought:

with all the custom board makers producing high-quality stuff at prices that are affordable by their customers, are we ever likely to see the return of 'commodity' alpine boards from major manufacturers? are Völkl the only ones left?

I think the only way we would see a resurgence of off-the-shelf boards from a high-volume business would be if they were trying to fill in the the low cost/low performance entry level gap in the market. It seems unlikely that a manufacturer would be able to create high performance boards like those created by Frank, Sean and Bruce at a competitive price point. They may be able to shave a few hundred off the price but they would not be able to provide the same level of customization (in terms of custom waist widths and flex patterns by rider weight) and I don't think people would see the tradeoff as worthwhile.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only way we would see a resurgence of off-the-shelf boards from a high-volume business would be if they were trying to fill in the the low cost/low performance entry level gap in the market.

This is what this post was all about

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=340506&postcount=115

Sean tried with the Pilot, and it worked. The bindings and boots are a bit more difficult but it's not impossible.

The only reason a manufacturer would ever make a price point item is for just that reason - to offer something for people to be able to get into the sport. It would not be about high quality or custom anything for sure!

This is what this post was all about

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=340506&postcount=115

Sean tried with the Pilot, and it worked. The bindings and boots are a bit more difficult but it's not impossible.

The only reason a manufacturer would ever make a price point item is for just that reason - to offer something for people to be able to get into the sport. It would not be about high quality or custom anything for sure!

Ah - I missed that post somehow.

As far as boots go ... that's the tricky part I think. I wondered if a good entry level way to get (other snowboarders) more into carving would be to offer a wider version of a board like the pilot paired with a kit to provide cant/lift for softboot binding and possibly a third strap/highback? So you end up with something like "use your current boots/bindings, on this board with these cants/lifts and add support with this third strap kit". I saw fin made a platform that sits on top of the cant disks so that you can put softboot bindings on top of it ... something like that.

(With the third strap - I'm mostly thinking of this to provide better lateral support at higher angles, since most highbacks are not rigidly fixed to the base of the binding.)

The overall idea being a one-stop shopping solution for get started on alpine snowboarding without having to spend a lot of money or buy new boots. Notably, a lot of people are wary of the stiff plastic boots (even though we know that they are way more comfy than softies as a rule) - this would also do away with that objection.

I'm pretty sure once people got started in this direction, the progression would be ... well if you like it, put some hardboots on that bad boy ... which would lead to, ok yeah - get yourself a nu-school metal board and start ripping.

(edit) - with something like that package, you could provide a cheap upgrade path for real bindings in the future, since the rider will already have cants and e-rings.

We have a FB page for Bomber, and I'm hoping to be able to start updating it weekly with content.

No offense, but just having a page isn't enough. The page needs to have eye catching content which is going to stop people and make them take a harder look. The current Bomber Facebook page isn't even close to that.

I'm registered. Seth himself is competing as well. It's going to be awkward when I beat him! ;) :D

Should be a fun test of the Boiler Plate.

Although it's not chinese-downhill style. It's one at a time, against the clock. And no jumps.

http://www.sugarloaf.com/Events/Calendar/Banked_Slalom.html

I'm definitely gonna register for this one.

What do you think you'll ride in the race?

I'm thinking Oxygen SX 157 or the Oxygen SL 156.

• 4 weeks later...
No offense, but just having a page isn't enough. The page needs to have eye catching content which is going to stop people and make them take a harder look. The current Bomber Facebook page isn't even close to that.

Is definitely the new 'grass roots' way to get the word out.I think there are a lot of ways the industry in general could benefit from a more interactive presence on facebook, etc.It seems like we already have that here with the ability to load our videos and photos and opinions but we are such a small and captive audience that although it starts here,it also stops here.

Our mainsrtream media gets to decide whether something gets no exposure,stays on the fringe with token exposure (think obscure Olympic sports),or gets a real leg up with consistent and good quality exposure like the X-Games and the trickle down that all the fringe X-sports have received from that type of event.

We have no events in North America other than traditional racing for spectators;and we all know how well that's working for US racers and their budgets...Exibitions and even contests of skill are the next step in my opinion.They make for great spectator appeal and could have the positive side effect of an interest in racing.I think boarder and skier cross are having that indirect effect to some extent.The crowds that some big air and jib events get on the local level are another example of what we could be doing with our sport as far as putting on a show.When chair 3 at Silver is full on a sunny day and the run next to it has been groomed(or not),I put on a show that gets hoots and hollers and puts all eyes on what I'm doing.I always feel I've done something productive and useful for the sport on those days;that and it just feels great to entertain people with my addiction . ;)