Note to New Members ×

What tools do you carry on the mtn?

fishrising

I use a Leatherman Crunch and I highly recomend it. Unlike normal Leatherman type tools it has actual working vice grips, which make it possible to lock onto bolt and nuts that would be impossible to remove using regular pliars. I have acutually taken the radiator out of a junkyard car using nothing but my crunch.

Folding and unfolding the crunch is a little awkward the first time you do it but with some practice it's possible to open and close it one handed and look pretty slick doing it.

With Cateks or Bombers you need allen wrenches too. I ride with a Sears folding metric allen tool. I wish I could find a way to ride with only one tool but nothing I've seen has the basic pliars/screwdriver/knife with allen wrenches as well

post-22-141842199542_thumb.jpg

I just carry an allen tool that fits my bombers. It's all I need for making adjustments or checking tightness on my bindings. There is also a philips head in the handle for checking my intec heels.

After 25 years on the slopes, I can't recall one instance where I've needed a tool during a run down the trails. Any problems I've had were catastrophic failures, which no tool I know of was capable of repairing while on the slopes.

Most times I don't carry a tool on the mountain. As Tommy D said - usually you don't need one.

Exceptions are when I want to try a new setup/stance. Then I usually carry one of those small ratchet screwdrivers - which reminds me I still have to get a hex bit for it.

I carry just two allen wrenches...one size for my boots and the other for my bindings. I also carry a basic Swiss Army knife that has a phillips & reg screwdriver, bottle opener!!!, a small pick type blade that is perfect for chipping ice out of the hex binding bolts, and a big blade in case I get mugged on the hill. :D The tools fit in my pants pocket and are hardly noticeable.

Outsider, what tool is that?

I carry a cheapo Mountain Bike tool that I found kicking around the house a while ago. It's pocket-sized, and has three sizes of allen wrenches. The larger two sizes fit my Cateks perfectly. It's got a screwdriver as well.

I don't even know the company that made them or anything, but I have yet to find a better tool. The only thing it doesn't allow me to do is adjust the bolts on my Raichle boots.

Not that I would know (cough cough)....

It's a great tool also! I've had mine for three years now. I used to have a bit that worked on my TD1's (but I lost it) that was 1/4 inch drive. It fit right in the screwdriver portion perfectly.

That screwdriver part is spring loaded too so it's got almost a switchblade kinda cool factor to it when you press the button.

Dave, you're killing me posting the PBR shots... getting thirsty. Looks like I'll be buying you some Peeb's when I come out to visit Billy this season.

I use this one. A friend of mine gave me some insight to the tool that my mom bought for me for xmas a few years ago; if you put a screen over the whistle part and accidentally put a chunk of green stuff on it and light it with a lighter, you can inhale toxic smoke out the other end through the conveniently placed pin hole. I wonder why I am happy after doing this? If only she knew what she was buying for her son.

post-221-141842199585_thumb.jpg