Note to New Members ×

I might be able to get a group buy for SES on Heads up display goggles.

John Gilmour

https://www.zealoptics.com/transcend/

How many people are interested?

I was going to go... but it turns out my ankle is still incredibly painful. Too much to ride and almost too much to walk.

Zeal also has a limited amount of Yellow Lenses. I personally feel they are amazing for low light and snow conditions...they changed my "off days" into riding days for me.

Typically, I tell people to buy (2) Zeals both with the polarlized photochromatic lens and an extra single yellow lens. Put a yellow lens into one of the Zeals and you have a color changing polarized lens and if it snows heavily just swap goggles. If you scratch the regular lens which you use more often anyhow... you'll already have an extra lens and you can make a loaner pair for a friend in a pinch by putting both regular lenses in.

I used to try swapping lenses as needed but it takes time...is frustrating...and you can damage the lens after doing this about 5-10 times. I used to do this...but found out I was smudging lenses or scratching them. Also you don't want to damage foam membranes in goggles....or you get fogging.

but that costs more in the short run.

I Have a pair of these, firstly the Lens is outstanding, by far the best I've ever used. Then there is the GPS aspect, and display, again fantastic.

Great innovation, does bugger all for my riding ability but makes it fun.

Cheers

Justin

actually im a bit disapointed in these, they arent as cool as all the graphics on their site and videos make them out to be. its not like a true HUD. and frakly I could care less about the "gps" data "oooh look at my runs on a map" wow, thats incredibly boring.

you know what would be WAY better is if they made lenses that would some how increase depth perception especially in really flat light (and NO, color alone wont do it) perhaps they could use that HUD system to use a camera with a powerful infrared light source to project it in front of you.

What's the angle on this? If we all buy a pair you get a free one or something? There has to be some angle.

You've never done a group buy thing? Get a bunch of people together and get a special deal - why pay retail? If you get it for less than you'd pay elsewhere, then why do you care if the organizer gets a slightly better deal? Its a PITA to be the organizer of these things. IMO if you get a freebie or a bit better deal, good for you.

re: the goggles - I found them to be kind of heavy, big and of mostly novelty value at this point. I'd wait for v.2.0 if you want something like this. I didn't ski with them. Just put them on in the lodge and walked around outside a little.

I think pretty much everything on those goggles is pretty much pointless/borderline dangerous (distracting, might encourage people with marginal skills to see how fast they can possibly go). If somebody made a pair of goggles that gave me a rearview mirror feature via reverse-view helmet cam I would pay beaucoup bucks to get them.

I could potentially see the speed feature being useful for park riders making sure that they are approaching a kicker at the right speed so as not to over/under shoot the landing, but that's about it.

I'm an area rep.

I need to do a certain volume of business to maintain that. Plus I am friends with the owner as I used to do demos with him.

I LOOOOOVE my ZEALS..... and I have tried just about all of the other brands... except for Briko, and Von Zipper)

I want a pair of transcends for myself.. no doubt.. but I can't use them this season.. ankle looks shot for perhaps another month or longer. Probably if I sell 20-30 pairs of Transcends Mike and Wink might toss me a blem to use (I have not asked them yet) . Oakley has the goggle market pretty sewn up with a few minor players vying (some are good quality like Briko... I used to wear Black Flys since they did not fog) so I like trying to support quality products that I personally would miss if they went out of business.

As for infrared goggles... sit that day out in the lodge because other people wouldn't be able to see you.. and would hit you from behind.

BTW (2) brand new Smith regulators $130.. new in box (box a bit scuffed) and a free extra lens... but honestly... I hate the Smiths compared to the Zeals.. The fan... well it isn't as good as on the old ones.. But if you love Smiths... I have 2 pairs of Prodigys. One in box (never worn) and another will be back in 2 weeks from warranty (no box but willbe replaced with new). .. personally I found snow got inside of them... I wouldn't buy them again.... but if you wear glasses

or like to wear sunglasses instead of cracking them in your pocket... there is nothing else that works. I just got Lasik (second time...first was laser PRK 15 years ago) I now have 20/15 vision... best I have ever had and no longer need these. I only recommend these if you wear glasses. The plain Zeals blow them away. The Prodigys are not good for deep snow like the old Smith turbo fan regulators because snow/rain can sneak past the fan into the goggle..think of them good for anti fogging... That's the straight dope on that goggle.

This is what they are.

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Prodigy-Turbo-Fan-Goggles/dp/B004APUURO

Please freely post info/reviews on the Transcends because I want people to know what they are like and not to have any surprises... and certainly interested in what you liked about them too. Mike and Wink are super cool and I will pass the info along to them. Negative reviews are just as welcome as positive ones.... it is a first year product- but appears to be very very cool... . I would appreciate it if you do not comment if you have not actually worn and boarded with them...just to keep this thread clean and information dense.

Like.. for me... I wish ALL goggles had something to keep snow off of the top foam..as when this ledge fills up after 4 or so sequential deep pow face shots (or ugg heavy rain) ... air flow stops and fogging can happen.. I almost want a mini roof with a gutter slit.

Also if anyone needs replacement lenses for scratched let me know for their previous ZEAL Detonator and Link goggles I sold at other SES sessions. If your lens cracked/leaked... the warranty is lifetime on these goggles.

For those of you interested in ONLY in MPH when you ride.. Adaptatunes an iphone app is pretty cool. But Keep in mind since there is NO altimeter... if you were on a 45 degree slope your MPH would be slower by 1/2, and if it was a 30 degree slope.. well it would be slower by a 1/3. So still the transcend is more accurate.. If you bombed a hill and hit flat for say 200- 300 feet and then took a MPH reading adaptatunes is likely accurate..(Just guessing on this).

If you just want vertical drop stats.... Palmer had a watch made by Swatch with an altimeter..

You've never done a group buy thing? Get a bunch of people together and get a special deal - why pay retail? If you get it for less than you'd pay elsewhere, then why do you care if the organizer gets a slightly better deal? Its a PITA to be the organizer of these things. IMO if you get a freebie or a bit better deal, good for you.

re: the goggles - I found them to be kind of heavy, big and of mostly novelty value at this point. I'd wait for v.2.0 if you want something like this. I didn't ski with them. Just put them on in the lodge and walked around outside a little.

Did you wear them with a helmet or without... this is useful feedback. But again.... far better if you rode with them..as opposed to trying them in the lodge. I was thinking with a helmet the weight would be supported by a full face helmet- like my Troy Lee D3. (I still am having a very hard time getting used to wearing a helmet.... partially why I hurt myself over Xmas.. because my snow sight picture was harder to obtain than a quick flick of my head...causing me to be late in a turn.

I think pretty much everything on those goggles is pretty much pointless/borderline dangerous (distracting, might encourage people with marginal skills to see how fast they can possibly go). If somebody made a pair of goggles that gave me a rearview mirror feature via reverse-view helmet cam I would pay beaucoup bucks to get them.

I could potentially see the speed feature being useful for park riders making sure that they are approaching a kicker at the right speed so as not to over/under shoot the landing, but that's about it.

What is nice is that the info is "recorded" on the onboard memory... meaning you do not have to take your eyes off the slope.

You can check it when you get home.

If you are testing waxes... for instance.. some waxes feel like they accelerate faster at different speed ranges... and can fool you into thinking they are faster than they are....just because they were fast out of the gate for instance... but they might top out early...etc...

You could test waxes and then look at the speeds at different parts of your run to determine the effectiveness.. and look at the data at home.

If a friend wants you to clock them.... you could also pick a run for both of you to do...and match his speed... and email him the result later... I personally wouldn't look at the heads up display when riding..... my full attention is to reading the snow.

Also I am happy there isn't a "flashing - highest MPH reading" for a particular GPS trail location... that might get me too excited to break my record for a particular trail. (though I would have to admit.... it would feel "pretty cool" to see that happen...but dangerous if you were within 1-2 mph of your record and pushed when you should be backing off due to running out of terrain, people on the trail etc....adrenaline can make you stupid momentarily)

The rear view helmet. No batteries required. I would assume it is completely sealed against moisture so driving rain won't screw it up. I just got my motorcycle license and am considering this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9uLsMq7mBE

So exactly what are you offering and at what price?

I'd be interested in an SPPX lens but have no interest in digital devices near my noggin

I have the Smith I/O goggle which I love also the Zeal Detonator PPX which is to dark, willing to try a Zeal SPPX lens if you have them available.

I'm also ready for some 3DO shorts and wrist guards;)