Note to New Members ×

Edge Q

sabestian

Hi all,

I've recently acquired NOS Oxygen Proton GS, seams to be a very nice board (for the price!). Anyway, the edges along the base have a weird pattern, they are sort of serrated, a bit like a saw. Please see the picture.

As I have never had a new board before (or an Oxygen for that matter) I am not sure what is it, what's it's purpose or what to do with it. I have googled to no avail. How to sharpen such an edge? I have usually done that myself, but here...

Thanks!

post-8599-141842330655_thumb.jpg

post-8599-141842330656_thumb.jpg

Yes it does, at first I thought these were just leftovers from factory edge sharpening or whatever, but there is more to it. The protrusions are at regular intervals of approx. 5-6 cm, each is 12mm long and they stick out to the side about 0.5mm.

It seems like the same concept as Magna-Traction, strange that there is no info on it at all...?

Maybe a screwed up machine tune? That seems awfully strange. It isn't even wavy like Magnetraction. Is it symmetric on both sides?

That was my thought. I understand that some machines have a special jig for magnetraction edge work ... I'm wondering if somebody may have tuned this board with that jig still in the machine from an earlier tuning job? I see the base seems to have fresh structure in it ... that would be my guess.

The seller claims that the board is brand new and never ridden/never tuned. I have no reason not to trust him but he may be missinformed...

And yes, it is symmetric on both sides and there is this 'factory' feeling to it.

The easiest way would be to put it on the machine and just file it down and 'forgetaboutit'. However, it may be some sort of a limited production board manufactured with testing in mind and I may be ruining something rare here. :confused:

I don't want to butcher it but on the other hand I want to ride it and not to get killed! :biggthump

After two long days spent on the board I can say that it stays in my quiver for longer. Very damp, excellent edge hold on ice (probably because of these serrated edges?). Carves very well, I actually layed my first turns on it, and that in much less then perfect conditions. Thumbs up!

All I need now is a piece of advice on how to sharpen this edge without destroying it...